Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

11-29-2012

United States

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 1 of 7

Bug in SmartActions

2013-04-25, 22:56 PM

If you go into SmartActions and set it to "Announce calls and texts Incoming caller name" it will NEVER ring even if you have Accessiblity set to "Caller ID then ring" and ringer volume set to max in SmartActions.  Calls to support pretty much got me the company line of 'we'll turn in a trouble ticket for you but don't know if it will get fixed.'  Given SmartActions hasn't been updated in months one has to wonder if anyone at Motorola Mobility is even working on it.

Options

13219 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

1407 Signins

8945 Page Views

• Views: 8945
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Bug in SmartActions

2013-04-25, 23:27 PM

Just my 2 cents on this. It seems to me that Motorola is trying now to get out of the app business since Google bought them. I have seen some go already after upgrades like Motoprint. There seem to be moving to a more plain android OS since there are plenty of apps out there that do stuff just like smart actions. I use Tasker myself instead of smart actions. I guess we will see whats coming soon as they start to hopefully bring out some new phones.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 3 of 7

2013-04-25, 23:31 PM

This is a user to user forum, so you won't get any information on bug status here. Also, with all the restructuring Google has done, I am not sure what the status of smartActions is at the present time. 

That being said, I tried it on my Atrix HD and it works fines. I already have a "ring volume" rule that sets my volume to medium in the am (after a sleep rule at night) and it turns on BT (althought nothing is connected now). I simply added "announce calls and texts" and left both boxes checked for "text sender name" and "incmoing cller name" - I hit save. It showed ready, and then "acitve" - i called my cell from my home and it announced a name. 

I don't have accessibility features on, and it worked fine. All I can add is "make sure the rule is actve". If it still doesn't work, you can try deleting cache and data from smartActions and create the rule again. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

12 Posts

11-29-2012

United States

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2013-04-26, 2:14 AM

AlphaDog, if only it were that simple.  I can recreate this on several Razr's, not just my 2.  Maybe it's a Razr issue, but it happens on 4.0.4 and 4.1.2.  The solution I found tonight was to remove this rule and use Accessiblity's options and use SA to set volume and the like.  That works but is a pain.

As for what Google is going to do with Motorola, I hate to break it to everyone but if they continue to lose patent lawsuits Google will end up shutting down Motorola.  They simply don't sell enough product to be profitable in the end.  That's why Motorola spun off their cell phone division.  They make decent products but they're not top-of-the-line any more.  I've not used a non-Motorola phone since the Startac except a short period on a Windows Mobile 6 phone by another vendor (what a horrible phone that was, not the Windows part of it, the hardware).  Delays in release in Android, releasing outdated builds (4.1.2 for Razr when 4.2.2 was 8 built days later) or no new builds at all is just more reason to start looking at Samsung for leadership.  Clearly Google has no clue how to save the Motorola brand.

Thanks for your help testing.

Options

13219 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

1407 Signins

8945 Page Views

• Views: 8945
  • Message 5 of 7

2013-04-26, 2:48 AM

I just had to say I own non Motorola phones like the Note 2 and HTC one X+. they are both still only on 4.1.2, so Motorola is really in the same place with there newer phones. I see things getting better in the future with Google's plan for Motorola. I hope it plays out that way.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 6 of 7

2013-04-26, 11:52 AM

My experience with Samsung products is mediocre - the phones and the Samsung skins are not impressive;

And although as consumers we are caught in the middle now - regarding the Google aquisition of Moto, I am confident things will get better. The RAZR M and MAXX HD are awesome phones, and I almost switched to VZW for one of them - but I think (my opinion) that Google will take the Nexus idea further and start selling their own unlocked hardware - I hope so anyway. And the next phones, if evolutions of the M and MAXX should be awesome.

As for SmartActions - it is a nice app, but there are more advanced profile apps in Google play that add more functionality - like setting volume levels indivdually. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

12 Posts

11-29-2012

United States

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2013-04-26, 15:39 PM

Unlocked hardware is moot if carriers won't take them.  Until the US regulators require all carriers to take unlocked phones we're going to be stuck with the junk they sell.  I'm in that boat now with a local carrier who is a year behind getting any product and when they do get them, like the Razr MAXX, we're stuck on old OS with no signs or indications as to when we'll get the newest one.  Short of rooting the phone we're in limbo.  Google needs to do what Apple has done and force all carriers to use the same OS.  That's Apple's only saving grace.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms