Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

07-18-2012

United States

2 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 1 of 9

D4 Could not find address

2013-01-07, 4:27 AM

I recently performed a factory reset due to system lag issues, and have been trying to recreate my old SmartActions. First, I learned that I needed to downgrade to the factory issue to get back my Wifi/Turn off Cellular Data rule due to some sort of strange lockout.

But that was easy to solve compared to my newest problem. When I try to enter my current location or serach for an address, I get an error message "Sorry, could not find an address to the chosen place!" with "Proceed" and "Cancel" options. "Proceed" takes me back to my location list without the new one having been added. "Cancel" takes me back to the map.

Based on my somewhat extensive knowledge of GIS, I have to imagine that the reverse geocoding service that SmartActions uses is having some sort of difficulty. I've tried to go back in a number of times over the last few days, with all combinations of Wifi and GPS on and off, and have yet to solve the issue. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

And to any Motorola folks out there, could you check your reverse geocoder?

Answer
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947

Re: D4 Could not find address

2013-01-10, 14:43 PM

For the earlier search, I did not enter any commas, nor did I include a zip.  Just now, I tried to search for 115 Wenlock Road, Matamoras, PA (it's a Lowe's store; anonymous enough, I think), and it couldn't find it with commas, without commas, rd, rd., road, with zip and without zip.  It could not find 209 East Hardford Street in Milford PA (the Pike County Chamber of Commerce) but it could find the zip code 18337.  It couldn't find 500 Broad Street, Milford, PA (the Pike County Sheriff), but I turned GPS off and on, and then it had no problem finding it (go figure).  I tried that trick again to find Lowe's, and it still couldn't find it.

I tried an address in Illinois and found it without issue.  It found 3309 Hartzdale Drive, Camp Hill, PA without issue (a retail location).  Also, I got a message that connection to server failed and GPS is not activated (GPS is on, and I have a strong wireless connection), but that didn't seem to effect the results.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be: are you Secret Agent Man or The Prisoner? 

Replies(8)
Options

14 Posts

07-18-2012

United States

2 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

2013-01-10, 0:22 AM

Since some other users have mentioned that this problem is generally temporary, I just wanted to mention that it's still not working. Five days of trying and I'm still unable to enter new locations into my SmartActions.

Motorola, I ask again - is your reverse geocoder online? If so, could you publish the exact format that the query should follow so that I can solve this problem on my own?

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2013-01-10, 0:45 AM

ChrisMD123 said:

Since some other users have mentioned that this problem is generally temporary, I just wanted to mention that it's still not working. Five days of trying and I'm still unable to enter new locations into my SmartActions.

Motorola, I ask again - is your reverse geocoder online? If so, could you publish the exact format that the query should follow so that I can solve this problem on my own?

View original

This is a peer-to-peer forum, and, although it's managed by a Motorola employee, all posts are not read by Motorola.  The moderators are volunteers who may or may not see your post.

The only reason I'm saying this is that you may not get an answer to your question, which really can only be answered by Motorola Support.

I certainly have no special knowledge of mapping, GPS, or anything like that, but before you dig down that deep, I would ask if you're having any difficulties navigating in general.  If you enter that same address directly into Google Maps, can it find it?  Is your GPS operating properly? Your compass?  Have you downloaded any GPS test apps to analyze the issue?  Is there a possibility that the issue is occurring as a result of downgrading the app?  And, have you contacted Motorola Support for assistance?

Just looking for some other options in case you can't get the information you're looking for...

Options

14 Posts

07-18-2012

United States

2 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2013-01-10, 3:13 AM

Crystallet,

Thanks for the response. I am aware that this is a P2P forum, but in the past I've found that Matt and some of the others are pretty good about responding to certain kinds of questions. I was hoping this was one of them.

GPS is working fine. The compass is fine. SmartActions can find my lat/long fine. But here's the problem: SmartActions appears to depend upon an address to establish a location. The process goes like this:

For current location:

1. SA finds the lat/long of current location through GPS

2. SA queries a reverse geocoder service, which determines an address

3. SA generates a code based on the address, which can then be used for tasks

For selected location:

1. User selects the lat/long of desired location

2. SA queries a reverse geocoder service, which determines an address

3. SA generates a code based on the address, which can then be used for tasks

For searched location:

1. User searches for a location

2. SA queries a geocoder service, which determines the closest matching addresses

3. SA lists closest matches

4. User selects correct address

5. SA generates a code based on the address, which can then be used for tasks

All of these usage scenerios are broken. Note that the latter two have no GPS involvement whatsoever, and are handled completely by the application and the server. Therefore, GPS involvement can be ruled out as a cause.

Out of curiosity, are you currently able to create new locations for your SmartActions? This would tell me if this is a problem local to my (Philadelphia) area, or nation/worldwide.

Finally, I have not contacted Motorola Support because I have assumed that the developers who work on this forum are more likely to be able to come up with an answer than going down that particular rabbit hole. If the problem persists, I will follow other avenues.

Thanks again for your reponse,

-Chris

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2013-01-10, 11:40 AM

Just searched for a location in the Catskills, and it found it. Can it find a different location on your phone? The reason I ask is because what you're experiencing isn't a common complaint, so I'm thinking something is going on with your phone and not the entire process. I have an original Razr, by the way.  If geocoding was broken, wouldn't it be broken for everyone?

Options

14 Posts

07-18-2012

United States

2 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2013-01-10, 13:30 PM
Crystallet,

Thanks for checking that out - I appreciate your taking the time to assist.

Without giving away the details, of course, could you let me know the template of search that you used? Commas, no commas, ZIP code or not, etc. I'd like to replicate the conditions as closely as possible.

Also, could you let me know what version of SA you have?

-Chris
Answer
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2013-01-10, 14:43 PM

For the earlier search, I did not enter any commas, nor did I include a zip.  Just now, I tried to search for 115 Wenlock Road, Matamoras, PA (it's a Lowe's store; anonymous enough, I think), and it couldn't find it with commas, without commas, rd, rd., road, with zip and without zip.  It could not find 209 East Hardford Street in Milford PA (the Pike County Chamber of Commerce) but it could find the zip code 18337.  It couldn't find 500 Broad Street, Milford, PA (the Pike County Sheriff), but I turned GPS off and on, and then it had no problem finding it (go figure).  I tried that trick again to find Lowe's, and it still couldn't find it.

I tried an address in Illinois and found it without issue.  It found 3309 Hartzdale Drive, Camp Hill, PA without issue (a retail location).  Also, I got a message that connection to server failed and GPS is not activated (GPS is on, and I have a strong wireless connection), but that didn't seem to effect the results.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be: are you Secret Agent Man or The Prisoner? 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

14 Posts

07-18-2012

United States

2 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2013-01-10, 22:06 PM

Crystallet, 

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to try out the various address combinations for me. Based on your information, I was able to confirm your suspicion, that this was a device-specific issue. Once I determined that it was my phone that was causing the problem, I:

1. Uninstalled the SA updates;

2. Cleared all data;

3. Disabled SA;

4. Restarted the phone;

5. And re-enabled SA.

I was then able to add locations to my SA profile using any of the supported methods. Just in case it was a version problem, I made all of my locations in the stock version, then upgraded; however, it didn't end up mattering. I now have full ability to set SA locations.

And to answer your last question - "Be seeing you."

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2013-01-11, 0:41 AM

Got it!  wink

I'm so glad it's all worked out for you!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms