Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

281 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

123 Signins

1897 Page Views

• Views: 1897
  • Message 1 of 9

Data Toggle with Wifi - Droid Razr Maxx HD

2013-02-15, 23:07 PM

I have searched the forums and I can't seem to find a solution although it seems people are doing it. I must be doing something wrong. I want to turn off mobile data when I am connected on wifi. The problem is when I create an action with a wifi trigger the data action is grayed out and when I put in the data action first then the wifi trigger is grayed out. 

This seems to defeat the purpose of being able to turn off data. When that is toggled on the phone it warns that the phone must be connected to wifi to receive emails. Why can't I trigger it using actions? I know that MMS messages won't work, any other reason?

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Data Toggle with Wifi - Droid Razr Maxx HD

2013-02-16, 4:12 AM

If you look at your data icons you'll see that only one or the other is blue. If you're creating an action to be performed by Wi-Fi, then data is grayed out because you couldn't use both at the same time. If you turn off Wi-Fi, assuming you have a network signal, you're data connection will become active.

Options

281 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

123 Signins

1897 Page Views

• Views: 1897
  • Message 3 of 9

2013-02-22, 3:27 AM

Yes, I understand that, but isn't the LTE card still on. Even though it is gray it still shows 4G and in order for MMS messages to come through data still needs to be turned on. I am just looking at ways to save power. If having wifi turned on means that the LTE chip is off then I am okay with that.

Options

2 Posts

03-10-2013

United States

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 4 of 9

2013-03-10, 3:25 AM

I am using the original Razr Maxx. I used to have this smart action set up on my phone to conserve battery, WiFi will consume less power than an LTE connection (or even 3G). It worked great, when I connected to a WiFi network my 4G would turn off. It wouldn't just turn gray - it would disappear. I just received the recent 4.1.2 update to JellyBean and had to do a hard reset. Now when I attempt to reenter this smart action, I run into the same problem as the OP. If I set a WiFi trigger, the mobile data action is grayed out. If I try to set the mobile data off action first, the WiFi trigger is grayed out. It's extrememly frustrating not to be able to program in the same actions I just had on ICS. If someone could shed light on this, it would really be appreciated.

Options

1 Posts

03-14-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 5 of 9

2013-03-14, 15:50 PM

I also just recently updated to 4.1.2. I didn't have to do a factory reset but have heard that if the first thing recommended when issues.  So chose to reset it right after update to hopefully prevent issues.

I'm having the same issue with the WIFI and Mobile Data being greyed out if one of them is picked first.  I had this working on IC with no issue.

Options

1 Posts

03-16-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2013-03-16, 18:28 PM

I too have just make the update to 4.1.2 with my DROID RAZR and have now encountered the same issue.  Initially before the upgrade I built this configuration to completely disable the MOBILE DATA (LTE) when connected to my home WIFI network.  After the update my settings for this capability still existed in the SMARTACTIONS app but functioned inconsistantly.  In trying to remedy I deleted the ACTION and tried to rebuild it but as many others have seen I too am unable to set the action specific to "SET MOBILE DATA."  This is a feature highly desirable especially for those of us stuck with the poor battery performance of the original DROID RAZR and I am supprised to see that no one from MOTOROLA has at least addressed this issue which has been posted for at least a month now.  Please fix.

I also wanted to address some of the other comments made in this string of posts.

• When WI-FI is connected to a network the 4G icon is  greyed' out meaning it is inactive as WIFI is the primary service and to avoid routing loops.  However the LTE transmitters in your phone are still connected to a particular tower and are constantly in communications with the tower analysing the signal quality so it can be quickly enabled when WIFI is disruppted.  This still consumes a lot of power to keep this constant communication with the tower and myself and most of the people related to this post wish to save this unnecessary use of valuable battery life when sitting at home by completely disabling the LTE phone transmitter.

• 4G LTE is a data only service, therefore in order for your phone to make phone calls and send text messages it is simultaneously connected to the CDMA service (ie. for Verizon) utilized for non 4G LTE phones.  So in essence your phone is connected to 2 separate services (frequencies) simultaneously.  This is a large contributor to the reduced battery life of 4G LTE phones.  You can verify this by going to SETTINGS>>MORE (under Wireless & Networks)>>MOBILE NETWORKS>>NETWORK TYPE and STRENGTH.  The pop-up window should show two different signals with different signal strengths.

MOTOROLA can you please resolve this issue as this was a working feature prior to the 4.1.2 update to the RAZR product line of phones?

Options

413 Posts

03-31-2012

Cheshire, CT

1581 Signins

24180 Page Views

• Views: 24180
  • Message 7 of 9

2013-03-26, 14:42 PM

I lost the ability to turn mobile data off triggered by specific WiFi connections before the Jelly Bean update.  I think it was when they pushed an update to smartactions mid December.  It was just before the Christmas "present" to some Razr users.  I updated to JB with the general release this month.

I tried a test, I manually turn off 3G/4G data when I'm on my home WiFi network, just like my smartaction used to do.  I got more than double the battery life than when I left mobile data on but grayed out when on WiFi.  I would love to have this function back.  I tried Llama but is says 4G toggle is still beta and it doesn't work on my Razr.

--------
-Allen
Options

1 Posts

04-18-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2013-04-18, 21:57 PM
I joined here just to simply solve this issue. Under settings/apps/smart actions. Delete updates. Launch The app, create the rule,then when it until updates again the rule is still there. Has nothing to do with the OS. Took me a few min. of beating myself up to figure this out.
Options

2 Posts

03-10-2013

United States

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 9 of 9

2013-04-18, 22:08 PM

EvilErnie - thanks for the solution, I don't think that will solve the issue in my case because I think I lost my "unupdated" version when I updated to JB. I realize this is not an OS issue which is why I came to this forum to see if there is a fix for this app issue. It seems like an intentional change on Moto's end, and I would like to know the rational behind it.

I'm fine now anyway because I picked up Tasker on Google Play on sale, so I've disabled and abandoned Smart Actions. Tasker is able to do so much more - so I should really thank Moto for encouraging me to abandon their software in favor of something better.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms