Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

11-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 177

Feedback and suggestion for Smart Actions

2011-11-15, 15:05 PM

i've been toying around with the Smart Actions on my Razr, and while I think it is definitely a beneficial application when used properly, there are some functionalities I find lacking, either by omission from the application itself or because of lack of user experience (i.e- I don't know enough about it at this point).

Some questions: Since there is a general option under Settings > Wireless and Network Settings > Mobile Networks > Network Mode  to select CDMA only vs CDMA/LTE, is there a way to turn switch off the LTE antenna using Smart Actions, say as an additional option to preserve battery life rather than turning off all cellular data?  If not, will this functionality be implemented as an option?

Additionally, is there a way to set a trigger based on coarse location, rather than fine location (using just GPS, rather than having to use wifi)?

Options

4366 Posts

09-08-2010

United States

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 2 of 177

Re: Feedback and suggestion for Smart Actions

2011-11-16, 2:21 AM

imperatorfl wrote:

i've been toying around with the Smart Actions on my Razr, and while I think it is definitely a beneficial application when used properly, there are some functionalities I find lacking, either by omission from the application itself or because of lack of user experience (i.e- I don't know enough about it at this point).

Some questions: Since there is a general option under Settings > Wireless and Network Settings > Mobile Networks > Network Mode  to select CDMA only vs CDMA/LTE, is there a way to turn switch off the LTE antenna using Smart Actions, say as an additional option to preserve battery life rather than turning off all cellular data?  If not, will this functionality be implemented as an option?

Additionally, is there a way to set a trigger based on coarse location, rather than fine location (using just GPS, rather than having to use wifi)?

Currently, the smart actions app has a limited number of (relatively coarse) actions.

I believe it would benefit from some popular additions to both the triggers and the actions.

Logically the distinction between all cell data and 1g, 3g and LTE would be an obvious inclusion.

It would be easy to add these and then update us through the market.

At least it would be easy for us end users. 

Options

1 Posts

11-15-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 177

2011-11-16, 13:33 PM

Is there a way to suggest changes to Motorola?  I have a few suggestions if this is the proper venue.

Additions to triggers:

1) When specified Wifi connections disconnect

2) when paired bluetooth devices disconnect

Additions to Actions:

1) (as stated above) toggle CDMA and CDMA/LTE mode

2) toggle animations on/off

Options

10 Posts

11-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 177

2011-11-16, 15:12 PM

I would strongly suggest allowing location based actions to utilize gps only,  without wifi. I noticed yesterday while trying to use the "work" theme that wifi was using alot of battery power.

edited for clarity

Options

4366 Posts

09-08-2010

United States

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Message 5 of 177

2011-11-16, 22:04 PM

mtdawg169 wrote:

I would strongly suggest allowing location based actions to utilize gps only,  without wifi. Wifi simply uses too much power and defeats the purpose of smart actions.

Maybe Matt or Mark can weigh in on this.

The assumption has been that wifi used less power and/or it was faster than 3G.

Now with LTE, I wonder if there is any advantage of using wifi when LTE is available.

Options

10 Posts

11-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 177

2011-11-16, 22:07 PM

Would this still hold true if there is no wifi connection available at a particular location?

Options

4366 Posts

09-08-2010

United States

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Message 7 of 177

2011-11-17, 0:03 AM

mtdawg169 wrote:

Would this still hold true if there is no wifi connection available at a particular location?

Would what still hold true?

Options

167 Posts

11-19-2010

United States of America

274 Signins

5293 Page Views

• Views: 5293
  • Message 8 of 177

2011-11-18, 13:40 PM

I would also like to see a NOT as an option so I could easily make an opposite of and already action.

On the location, I would like to see a general Tower/Network selection as well as a granular GPS.  Back in the day when I had a Blackberry, I used an app called WiFi Hero to turn on/off the WiFi.  It used the tower locations to turn it on.   (WiFi Hero: WiFi Hero automatically controls your WiFi Power Status to save power and make your battery last longer. WiFi Hero can automatically turn off or turn on WiFi power (on GSM or WCDMA netwoks only) based on your location, screen status (on/off) and charging status (on charger/off charger). )

If we had a way to set the location "Area" and take action that would be huge.  I could set up rules for different cities and areas of town may not have WiFi.

I really like the option of a reminder from a calendar event to "silence" the phone for a amount of time.

Could Motorola add these and price them in the market as advanced actions for $1.99

Options

27 Posts

11-21-2011

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 177

2011-11-21, 12:47 PM

Some good suggestions there.  As RandomOne said, there are plenty of free apps on the market that will switch your WiFi on/off based on either coarse cell tower location OR by switching WiFi on for a few sections to attempt to establish a connection with a known network.

I think offering BOTH of these in Smart Actions as part of the location trigger set, would really help.. not to mention allowing GPS for fine location IF the user has it switched on (by choice or through another smart action).. although GPS does eat battery, people do often deliberately require it so to not have it available as one of the options on a location trigger seems like a missed opportunity to me..

Options

16326 Posts

11-22-2013

United States of America

11 Signins

305 Page Views

• Views: 305
  • Message 10 of 177

2012-02-21, 20:30 PM

This post has been moved to the Smart Actions Community

Mark
Support Forums Manager 

Mark
Former Employee
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms