Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

184 Posts

06-14-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 5

How do you change default location names?

2012-07-30, 17:20 PM

The problem is with the location identification (name).  The address resolution can fall to a Range of addresses and blocks out the ability to use it im 1/2 mile increments at our work location.  My phone appears to be accurate on gmaps to within 20 feet of my actual location.  When I go to add the additional locations they all try to use the same app provided name.  they are anywhere fromm 300 yards to one mile apart.  Why can't it use a user defined name to stop the conflict?  I have business uses for this if it is possilble.  Like security guard tracking. The application finds the locations using GPS coordinates in place of addresses correctly but then converts to a street address thats not correct for a name...

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: How do you change default location names?

2012-07-30, 18:17 PM

I know that Google maps allows you to edit a map online but I don't know if the edits transfer down to your phone.  I'll actually have to try it later...at work, I got a message that the ability to edit Google maps has been restricted by the domain administrator.  I guess they prefer that we actually work when we're here...

But I have to wonder if the inability to differentiate addresses beyond a group of addresses isn't intentional...

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 3 of 5

2012-07-30, 18:41 PM

If you go into smart actions, -> menu key -> my  profile -> locations

Tap and hold one of your saved locations-> edit;  then you can rename it.

But from the rest of your description is sounds like you want to use names to distinguish locations - not coordinates. But we are at the mercy of GPS and Smart Actions rules ast to what it thinks are different locations.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

184 Posts

06-14-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 5

2012-07-30, 19:53 PM

Thanks Alpha, I tried that.  It keeps reconnecting it to the location address description, which we can't change. Grrrrrrrr.  The power of that tool is 100 fold more if they would not do that.  Seriously I was going to use that feature to track our guards at night.  The phone would send an automated text to the supervisor and he knows instantly if they are on track.  This could be worth big $ as good hardware driven solution to this that work start at $1.5 k.

The other bad this is that the locations I enter that are off road are forced to the nearest street address.  What if I wanted it to check in as I entered a work zone or other location? 

My real thought would be: in the phones database where there is the coordinates (you know its there) use them.  Set a primary key that is distinct for the location then allow the user to add a user defined name for reference.  This way you have the location, a name the user can understand and an ID that is not repeatable.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 5 of 5

2012-07-31, 2:42 AM

i wonder if you could use Google's free "My tracks" in the market:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.maps.mytracks&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5tYXBzLm15dHJhY2tzIl0.

or something like this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.be.android.gpslocation&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygem.android.trackme&feature=also_installed#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwNCwiY29tLnN5Z2VtLmFuZHJvaWQudHJhY2ttZSJd

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms