Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

538 Posts

08-27-2010

United States of America

12 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 1 of 2

Location Trigger since ICS

2012-08-08, 13:25 PM

Does anybody know what Smart Actions is using since ICS for the location trigger?  Before it was WiFi, but apparently that has changed.  I set a SA last night with a trigger location of home and actions of turning on WiFi, disabling Cellular Data and turning down screen brightness.  The SA activated when I got home last night and seemed to work fine.  However, when I left for work this morning, that SA remained active until I was probably a mile or two away from my home.  Is it now based on one of the other location services or maybe by cell towers?

The problem is I also have SA's set up for both of my cars.  With those SA's, my trigger is a Bluetooth connection with my car and the actions are, turning on GPS, turning up screen brightness and launching my Car Home Ultra app.  The problem is that since the Cellular Data is still off as set in the 1st SA above until I'm a mile or two away from my home, I'm unable to obtain any location information on the Car Home app or Navigation if I turn that on until the 1st SA becomes inactive and Cellular Data turns on again.

Maybe the simple solution to avoid conflicts is just to remove the action in the first SA to disable Cellular Data?

Options

538 Posts

08-27-2010

United States of America

12 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Location Trigger since ICS

2012-08-09, 10:57 AM

Just 9 views and no comments in a day?  I guess not too many people participate in this forum do they?  

I was curious driving home if the Home SA which turns on WiFi and disables Cellular Data would turn off the other SA I have that starts GPS for Navigation when I reached the location where I was driving into work where the Home SA finally stopped being active a mile or two from my home.  It didn't.  Navigation worked all the way home and when I turned off Bluetooth on the phone, the SA for the car became inactive as it should.  Walked into the house and a minute or two passed before the Home SA turned on and started WiFi and disabled Cellular Data.

Later, went to my health club within a mile from the house and started another SA that turns on the Play Music app when paired with my Bluetooth stereo headphones.  That SA started up fine, however it didn't work right because Play Music is on cloud storage and the Home SA hadn't become inactive yet because I wasn't far enough away from home.  And since the home app disables Cellular Data, Play Music wouldn't work.

So...I deleted the Home SA that I had set up.  Whatever it uses for location covers too broad of an area.  I went back to another app that I use to automate turning on/off WiFi at home called Y5 Battery Saver.  I don't know what that app uses for location, but whatever it uses, it's much more precise as it turns my WiFi on and off within a much shorter distance from my home.  It doesn't do anything to disable Cellular Data, but I don't think that's important as I don't think it really saves any battery as long as you have a good strong WiFi connection. 

As far as automation apps, I think SA needs some work.  I use an app called Timerrific that is great for certain automation actions for volumes, screen brightnes, turning on Wifi and Bluetooth based on time of day.  I'm thinking of purchasing Tasker as that sounds like it's the ultimate app for adding automation settings to your phone.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms