Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

08-17-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 18

Problems with Location Trigger

2012-09-03, 6:18 AM

I have a Droid RAZR recently upgraded to ICS.  I started using the Location trigger along with the Timeframe trigger and I'm having a problem with my Triggers turning off by themselves.  It appears that the Location trigger only works for a short time at the location I set it for.  Then, all of a sudden, it turns off, even when I haven't left the location.  I have all of the "Location Services" enabled, but I don't know why I have to keep reactivating the Timeframe trigger to turn the rule back on.  However, I really would like to use both the Locator and Timeframe triggers since there are days when I'm not at the location (ie: Work) and I don't want to have to keep manually turning on/off my schedules.  Any suggestions?  (It appears that it works at "Home", but no where else.)

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: Problems with Location Trigger

2012-09-03, 22:03 PM

Personally I don't like the location trigger as it is a blackbox I can't control and in my opinion error prone. I think it is hard to determine exact location all the time, and probably easy for the trigger to think you have moved.

If Timeframe is not enough, can you add anything else? Wifi, BT or some other criteria to create an effective rule?

Did things work better prior to the ICS upgrade?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

13 Posts

08-17-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 18

2012-09-04, 0:14 AM

I never used the Location trigger until after the ICS upgrade.  I can't set WiFi as a trigger, only turn off/on.  What I really can't figure out is why it works at home, but not anywhere else and why it activates, but turns off after a short period of time.  I have to do another experiment to see if putting the Location trigger before or after the Timeframe trigger makes any difference.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 4 of 18

2012-09-04, 0:39 AM

My guess is that your home location is more "detectable" then your work location. Since the location trigger has no real way to troubleshoot, it is hard to work with. But many things can contribute to poor location detection - especially if you are inside.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

13 Posts

08-17-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2012-09-04, 6:04 AM

So, basically, the "Location" trigger is useless?  I have all of the Location services checked on my phone.  Could that be the problem?  Should I just use Google & Verizon and not the Stand Alone?  I was just at work tonight and SA shows that it was last used 4 days ago, instead of 4 hours ago.  Also, what trigger can I use if there is no WiFi connection available (ie Church)?  Is there any info on changing the Calendar trigger to include key words?  Right now, it's everything or nothing.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2012-09-04, 10:43 AM

some people have good luck with the location trigger, and as you noted it works well at home for you. I too would like to see Calendar more granular and match on a specific keyword. You could try time of day by itself. Or as you mentioned, try location without time.

One other thing, maybe try creating a new location trigger outside or near the church... maybe it is just how it was set it that doesn't reliably register.

Options

13 Posts

08-17-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2012-09-04, 21:00 PM

I did change my location to a nearby address and I'm using the WiFi connection at work, but I'm still not sure of the point of a trigger that doesn't work.  I also can't use the WiFi locator at church because I live in a small town, and we don't have that many places that have "public" WiFi access.  Is there any chance of the Calendar option being changed to include key words?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2012-09-04, 21:44 PM

I know the calendar request has been made - lots of feature requests have been made. Let me see if there is a SmartActionsXprt that can at least help troubleshoot.

Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 9 of 18

2012-09-07, 12:04 PM

There are a number of apps in google play that can solve your problem. I"m using Setting Profiles and the location triggers work fine. You can select a location then have a range circle to activate the rule when you're within a range you specify. You can set the location by cell tower, gps or wifi. With the calendar trigger you can use a specific word and select different calendars. It also has a feature where you can tap the widget, then tap the profile to activate manually or an icon to select a preset time (or you can pick a custom time).

Tasker is another app with more powerful features. I'm using Smart Actions as well as Setting Profiles. 

Options

13 Posts

08-17-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2012-09-08, 2:30 AM

Why have two apps that basically do the same thing?  I like to keep my phone as clean as possible due to the fact that I know the more apps, pics, etc you have taking up all your available memory, the worse the phone will work.  I also realize that these apps are all only kilabytes, but you get enough of them together and they start to add up.  Which Setting Profiles are you using?  (Lite or Full)  I don't mind paying for apps, but I want to be sure they work before I spend the money to purchase one.  I also tried another app, but what I saw on Google and what happened on my phone were two different things.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms