Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

127 Posts

07-29-2014

United States of America

30 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 1 of 16

Smart Action killing cellular data for good

2011-12-11, 1:55 AM

Today, I had placed my phone into "Sleep" mode while I was at the gym and then turned it back on after I was finished. From that moment forward, my RAZR would not connect to data at all. No 1x, no 3G, no 4G. Nothing!

Three calls to Verizon and a trouble-ticket later, I found the problem on my own. I have several Smart Actions set up that will disable Cellular Data when I'm in range of my predetermined WiFi hotspots. The problem here is that I had NO Smart Actions currently turned on when I put my phone to Sleep. Furthermore, there were no Smart Actions enabled when I turned it back on and the data was gone.

It wasn't until I dug into the "Data Manager" section under Settings that I realized that the "Data enabled" checkbox was turned off. Yep...turned off on its own. I should note that before I put my phone to sleep, I had data just fine as I was streaming iHeartRadio in the car on my way to the gym. How did that item get unchecked? Smart Actions, I'm looking right at you.

I basically wasted Verizon's and my time today over 3 calls and fruitless reboots during troubleshooting. Needless to say, I've disabled any "Cellular Data" triggers in my Smart Actions until Moto can figure out why it's turning things off and not turning them back on. That was incredibly frustrating today. I mean, we even switched SIM cards. Should Verizon have asked about that setting? Perhaps. However, I wouldn't have thought to look there either. It should always be on by default.

Of course, when I checked the box for "Data enabled", 3G and then subsequently 4G data, came roaring back to life on my RAZR.

Moto, please fix.

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: Smart Action killing cellular data for good

2011-12-11, 2:55 AM

I don't think that this issue has anything to do with Smart actions. I have had this problem before, but with my D3. It is Sleep mode that is causing this. I noticed that when I was at work and using Sleep mode that when I woke the phone I had no data connection. It took me awhile to figure out what was happening.

If the phone is in Sleep mode for too long something goes wrong. For short periods of time, Sleep mode seems to be fine, but if it is for an extended period than there are problems with the data connection. The average time I was leaving the D3 in Sleep mode was for about 2 1/2 hours. I don't know the shortest amount time that would still give you problems with data, though.

Now, I could be wrong and it might be Smart actions, but what I am saying is I had this exact problem and the D3 doesn't have Smart actions. Maybe you could try disabling the Smart actions and try using just the Sleep mode and see if you still have problems. I would be interested to see if this problem exists in the Razr as well.

I will try testing this next week when I am at work.

jhuster wrote:

Today, I had placed my phone into "Sleep" mode while I was at the gym and then turned it back on after I was finished. From that moment forward, my RAZR would not connect to data at all. No 1x, no 3G, no 4G. Nothing!

Three calls to Verizon and a trouble-ticket later, I found the problem on my own. I have several Smart Actions set up that will disable Cellular Data when I'm in range of my predetermined WiFi hotspots. The problem here is that I had NO Smart Actions currently turned on when I put my phone to Sleep. Furthermore, there were no Smart Actions enabled when I turned it back on and the data was gone.

It wasn't until I dug into the "Data Manager" section under Settings that I realized that the "Data enabled" checkbox was turned off. Yep...turned off on its own. I should note that before I put my phone to sleep, I had data just fine as I was streaming iHeartRadio in the car on my way to the gym. How did that item get unchecked? Smart Actions, I'm looking right at you.

I basically wasted Verizon's and my time today over 3 calls and fruitless reboots during troubleshooting. Needless to say, I've disabled any "Cellular Data" triggers in my Smart Actions until Moto can figure out why it's turning things off and not turning them back on. That was incredibly frustrating today. I mean, we even switched SIM cards. Should Verizon have asked about that setting? Perhaps. However, I wouldn't have thought to look there either. It should always be on by default.

Of course, when I checked the box for "Data enabled", 3G and then subsequently 4G data, came roaring back to life on my RAZR.

Moto, please fix.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

18 Posts

11-14-2009

United States

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 3 of 16

2011-12-11, 15:04 PM

Interesting, this may have contributed to my complete loss of service after the 4G outage.

Sadly, since one of the things Verizon customer support had me do was perform a factory reset, and I am now completely locked out of my phone, since it is unable to contact Google servers to activate.

I hope Matt will give us an update on whether Moto is aware of this problem and whether they'll do anything about it, preferably something other than the standard months-long period of obfuscation and avoidance.

Options

348 Posts

11-13-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 16

2011-12-11, 16:15 PM

You shouldn't be locked out.  After doing the factory reset you have to dial *228 on your Razr to reactivate your phone...did you do that?  That is a Verizon "thing" not a google thing.

Options

18 Posts

11-14-2009

United States

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 5 of 16

2011-12-11, 17:11 PM

jpcalhoun wrote:

You shouldn't be locked out.  After doing the factory reset you have to dial *228 on your Razr to reactivate your phone...did you do that?  That is a Verizon "thing" not a google thing.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions, but I am a bit skeptical that this will work in my particular case for the following reasons:

1) Maybe this is a myth, but I thought *228 was Not To Be Done on 4G phones

2) Wouldn't Verizon Customer support or an in-store person have suggested or tried this?

3) I don't think I can even get to that stage -- I am stuck at the picture of the Android "Welcome to DROID RAZR; Touch the android to begin" screen, and the phone is receiving no signal at all (i.e. little red circle-with-slash-meaning-"no" over the service bars in the top right-hand cornder). So when I do touch the android to begin, I get the "please wait, this may take a few minutes" message with spinning wheel, but nothing happens (i've let this run for over 2 hours). So even if *228 were the right thing to do, I don't see how it's possible - I have no access to a dial pad, and even if I did, given that the phone has no signal of any kind, how would the *228 message reach Verizon?

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to think about this.

Options

348 Posts

11-13-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 16

2011-12-11, 17:24 PM

Well, I better understand your problem.  I've never heard that about *228 on 4g...don't know if that is true or not.  None the less, why hasn't Verizon offered to replace the phone?  If the recommended a factory reset and you've done that with a terrible result I'd think they offer to exchange your phone.  If it was me, and all things being equal, I'd demand a different phone.

Options

18 Posts

11-14-2009

United States

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2011-12-11, 17:27 PM

jpcalhoun wrote:

Well, I better understand your problem.  I've never heard that about *228 on 4g...don't know if that is true or not.  None the less, why hasn't Verizon offered to replace the phone?  If the recommended a factory reset and you've done that with a terrible result I'd think they offer to exchange your phone.  If it was me, and all things being equal, I'd demand a different phone.

Yes, they are going to exchange it - it's just a little complicated because I purchased it from an independent retailer and am out of town at the moment. But I'll be able to exchange it once I get back into town tomorrow.

I was just speculating about whether this might have been at the root of my as-yet-unexplained problem of having no service ever since the 4G issues last week. I recall that airplane mode was acting funny (you hear that toggling airplane mode sometimes can help with data drops) and wonder if maybe that was the root cause.

Options

348 Posts

11-13-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 16

2011-12-11, 17:33 PM

Good luck, hope your independant retailer gets back in town soon. 

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 9 of 16

2011-12-11, 17:54 PM

You should never dial *228 with a 4G phone. Here is a link to Verizon's forum discussing this. The PRL is push on LTE phones. There isn't a reason to dial *228 anymore. Hope this helps.

jpcalhoun wrote:

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

348 Posts

11-13-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 16

2011-12-11, 18:29 PM

Thanks.  I undestand about option, updating PRL.  But if you do a factory reset don't you have to *228 OPTION 1 to reactivate the phone.  I did a factory update the day after I got the Razr (different issue than this thread) but I don't remember if I had to *228 or not

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms