Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

62 Posts

02-12-2012

Country N A

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 9

Smart Actions Default State

2012-02-15, 17:19 PM

Is there a way to set a default state for Smart Actions? I want a rule where it detects if no other rule/state is active then applies my default settings.

Answer
Options

6 Posts

02-17-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

Re: Smart Actions Default State

2012-02-17, 20:01 PM

Simply set your "default" values in the Settings pages. When no Smart Rules are active, your "default" Settings are in effect. For example, if you desire a default ring volume at about three-quarters, then set it accordingly in Settings/Sound/Volume/Ringtone. If you want the volume to be set at 100% while at home, then create a Smart Action rule to do so. When you arrive at home, the rule activates and the volume changes to 100%, when you leave home, the rule ends and the volume reverts back to your three-quarter default value.

Replies(8)
Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

2012-02-15, 18:53 PM

I've gone through all of the various configurations I can think of, and I don't see how this is possible with the current smart actions firmware for this to be a possibility.  If anyone sees something I don't, please post it for all of our benefit.   --- Dan

Options

62 Posts

02-12-2012

Country N A

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2012-02-15, 19:35 PM

Thanks DansDroid. I was hoping I was just missing it when looking through the options. I'm coming from using the Locale app which does have a default state. Right now, without a default state, I have to create some sort of complement rule to negate settings when leaving a state. It's cumbersome and kludgy. For example, when car docked I turn on the GPS and Bluetooth. Since I can't find a trigger that detects when the phone goes from the docked to undocked state, I have to trigger on something else. I use the not charging trigger to turn off the GPS and Bluetooth which could possibly conflict with other rules.

Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2012-02-15, 22:13 PM

alana said:

Thanks DansDroid. I was hoping I was just missing it when looking through the options. I'm coming from using the Locale app which does have a default state. Right now, without a default state, I have to create some sort of complement rule to negate settings when leaving a state. It's cumbersome and kludgy. For example, when car docked I turn on the GPS and Bluetooth. Since I can't find a trigger that detects when the phone goes from the docked to undocked state, I have to trigger on something else. I use the not charging trigger to turn off the GPS and Bluetooth which could possibly conflict with other rules.

You're most welcome.  As great as I think smart rules are, I do think that down the road a bit we will be running into some dicey troubleshooting because of rules, that as you have mentioned, have the potential of conflicting with each other.    --- Dan

Answer
Options

6 Posts

02-17-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2012-02-17, 20:01 PM

Simply set your "default" values in the Settings pages. When no Smart Rules are active, your "default" Settings are in effect. For example, if you desire a default ring volume at about three-quarters, then set it accordingly in Settings/Sound/Volume/Ringtone. If you want the volume to be set at 100% while at home, then create a Smart Action rule to do so. When you arrive at home, the rule activates and the volume changes to 100%, when you leave home, the rule ends and the volume reverts back to your three-quarter default value.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

62 Posts

02-12-2012

Country N A

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2012-02-17, 23:36 PM
 That seems to work unless I manually change the setting while the rule is active. For example, I set the "default" ringer volume to medium. At home a rule sets the ringer volume to low. Now, while at home, I change the volume to high because there are people making noise. When I leave home, the volume stays high. How would I force the volume to go back to the "default" medium when I leave home?

If I did something wrong, please let me know.
Options

6 Posts

02-17-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2012-02-18, 14:58 PM

As you mention, a default value outside of the settings page value, is not supported. However, if you really want to reset a specific setting to fall back to another (presumably default) value at some time interval, then one solution is a timeframe-based rule. For example a Smart Action rule could control a setting during waking hours. This would allow a value to be reset every morning and hold throughout the day until either another rule kicks in or the user changes the setting. 

Options

62 Posts

02-12-2012

Country N A

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2012-02-18, 15:07 PM

Thanks Smart-Actions-Jockey. That's what I have been doing as a workaround. Without having a special "default" rule, I have been creating complement rules to force my desired default values. It's kludgy and I would really prefer a special default rule that can be optionally added.

Options

16326 Posts

11-22-2013

United States of America

11 Signins

305 Page Views

• Views: 305
  • Message 9 of 9

2012-02-21, 20:28 PM

This post has been move to the Smart Actions Community

Mark
Support Forums Manager 

Mark
Former Employee
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms