Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-27-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 6

Smart Actions: Trouble locating set locations

2012-03-13, 4:33 AM

I have alot of problems with picking up the locations I have in Smart Actions.  Sitting on my desk at work, sometimes they pick up and sometimes they don't.  They also will connect and then drop throughout the day.  I can't use wifi because we have no wifi connection here.  I've disabled them now because I can't have my phone ringing during the day.

Options

1 Posts

03-13-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: Smart Actions: Trouble locating set locations

2012-03-13, 13:40 PM

I am having the same issue.   Is there anyway to force the GPS to establish the location?

Options

140 Posts

02-15-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2012-03-13, 19:50 PM

Smart Actions location service is based on Wi-Fi. Sounds like your in fringe coverage, that is most likely why your phone is dropping signal throughout the day. 

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 4 of 6

2012-03-13, 20:14 PM

@smartactionsexpert:

Using phone masts is a great trigger and seems to use less battery than GPS....maybe something to incorporate into the trigger list?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

3 Posts

02-27-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2012-03-13, 20:19 PM

sorry @smartactionsexpert

I do not know what you mean by phone 'masts'.

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 6 of 6

2012-03-13, 20:47 PM

Mputzer said:

sorry 

I do not know what you mean by phone 'masts'.

As I understand it, location based profiles or triggers based on phone masts means the trigger is based on which tower your device is currently connected to.  This way the device does not utilize any extra resources--like power to the GPS radio--to set the trigger.  

The app Llama Location Profiles works this way.  It has to "learn" your location, and in doing so it will determine which phone masts are in range of a specific location.  Any time your phone is connected to one of the phone masts for that particular location, it will trigger your specified action.  

• For example, at my home there are 2 phone masts that service that location.  Any time I connect to either one of them, my WiFi radio will turn on (and mobile data will turn off).  I have the same action set for my work location.  Additionally, any time I leave those locations, I have Llama turn WiFi off.

• The downfall is that phone masts as triggers are not as accurate as GPS, and if you are trying to trigger two locations that are close together, it may not work if one phone mast services both locations.

The description on Google Play for the Llama app is better at explaining how this works.  :)

For those of us not lucky enough to be able to use SmartActions, we use other apps like Llama or Tasker.

Does this answer your question adequately?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms