Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

204 Posts

11-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 8

Smart actions using "not"?

2011-11-15, 12:52 PM

I am new to Android devices (just got it yesterday) so excuse me if this is a dumb question.  But I would like to have a Smart Action where when I come home it turns off GPS and Cellular Data.  The problem is if i set it up like that, since the GPS is no longer active, it doesn't know I'm home and turns those things back on.   So is there a way to set it up to say if I'm NOT home, to turn those items on?  Or maybe I'm just going about it wrong.  Feel free to offer any suggestion you like - except get rid of your phone!

Thank you.

Answer
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765

Re: Smart actions using "not"?

2011-11-15, 13:21 PM

You still have to use something to determine location - so as mentioned above, is wifi an option? It is not going to work that well, as now you are dependant on signal - and if your phone sleeps will it see that wifi is off and turn GPS on? Or if you want to turn GPS on when leaving home, it is not going to trigger until you are out of WiFi range.

If you don't have Wifi, then your only other option is to use time of day, but that is less reliable then location.

GPS is a pretty low battery drain - i think you would be better off leaving it on and writing rules around location.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum

Replies(7)
Options

9 Posts

11-13-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

2011-11-15, 13:01 PM

If you want to turn off cellular data; i'm assuming you have wifi? If so use the wifi trigger and then set GPS to of along with cellular data

Answer
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2011-11-15, 13:21 PM

You still have to use something to determine location - so as mentioned above, is wifi an option? It is not going to work that well, as now you are dependant on signal - and if your phone sleeps will it see that wifi is off and turn GPS on? Or if you want to turn GPS on when leaving home, it is not going to trigger until you are out of WiFi range.

If you don't have Wifi, then your only other option is to use time of day, but that is less reliable then location.

GPS is a pretty low battery drain - i think you would be better off leaving it on and writing rules around location.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

204 Posts

11-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2011-11-15, 13:28 PM

I do have wifi at home and I don't think it turns off when my phone sleeps because at about 1 am I got a message and my notification woke me up.   If GPS doesn't drain the battery then I could just have it turn off cellular when I'm home. 

Knowing GPS doesn't drain so much I think I will modify my rule to leave that on and just turn off cellular first.  If it does end up being a problem I can try brandonmeeks suggestion.

Thank you both for the info. 

Options

2 Posts

11-18-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2011-11-18, 19:53 PM

Actually, I was trying to figure a 'not' option as well. I understand AlphaDog's point about gps but the 'not' function seems like it would be more powerful use of the smart action capability.

If I am looking to shut down wifi if out of range of my preferred wifi networks... outside of constantly turning off the wifi on manually, is there a way to do it under smart action? obviously my question may be too basic because i have tried to turn off wifi and then when i'm near recognized wifi spots, wifi (as it should) goes on but when i leave the area, it doesn't turn off (the sniffer at least)... or am i I doing something incorrectly? I suppose that's a low drain as well but I figure any help to battery life would be great.

thanks for any clarification.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2011-11-19, 1:50 AM

I don't have a RAZR, but I have a lot of experience with rules and their configurations.

The problem with your scenario, is not the concept of NOT, but it is what you want to measure. Measureing time of day, GPS, battery % are all very cut and dry - and when they vary it is in a linear or expected way. Measure WiFi the way you want would probably result in very bad rule performance.

First you would need to determine what threshold is "out of range" - specified in dBm. This is unreliable as WiFi signal strength can fluctuate even within your home zone, and things like a microwave or cordless phone could cause interference that could be interpreted as a weaker signal. If you could measure this accurately, then you could write a rule that said if signal was less then X turn off wifi - but of course you could never use a signal strength rule to turn on WiFi.

So if you can only turn on WiFi via a different rule like GPS, it makes sense to turn it off the same way.

On a side note, I used to turn off GPS religiously - but i leave it on 99% of the time now, and my battery life on my Atrix 2 is great.

Options

2 Posts

11-18-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2011-11-19, 2:09 AM

thank you for your response... my one point was just part of the concept although i, once again, think i get your point.

i don't think it is a question of 'measure' as much as a condition. it is a simple 'either' 'or' condition. if someone is 'home' as designated via gps, then that person should be able designate 'not home' as a place other than the designated non-home gps.

i am not trying to so specific as the have a high level of tolerance for a narrow threshold criteria. in some ways, i want a 'not' function to prevent overlap and conflicts among rules. in any case, it may be we're talking about two different approaches as i see others have suggested the 'not' conditional modifier as a wished for item in the possible future so that point may be moot.

thanks again for trying to specifically propose a workaround regardless.

Options

140 Posts

02-15-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2012-02-22, 19:50 PM

sallyc - Thank you for your "NOT" suggestion. I will forward onto the team for review.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)