Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

03-31-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 12

SmartAction Background Sync off not work in ICS

2012-06-30, 19:33 PM

Running the latest Official ICS version on my RAZR MAXX since the Soak Test for about a week now.  SmartActions version 3.1.5.1.2, and System version 6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.

I have a the following:

Triggers: Timeframe: Night (9pm-8am), Charging: Any source,

Actions: Ring volume: Silent, Background Sync: Off, VIP caller mode: one person

I have woke up the last two morning finding my LED Light blinking that I had messages.  I woke up well before my Night time frame was over, so this should not have received any emails since I had background sync off.  I could still see the SmartAction symbol in the top notification bar.  This was working just find on Gingerbread.

Options

140 Posts

02-15-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 12

Re: SmartAction Background Sync off not work in ICS

2012-07-13, 20:23 PM

Hi Fatboy97,

Just seeing this thread now, not sure why I couldn't see it before, strange. 

This is the first time I've heard of this on ICS SA. I have captured this issue and sending out to the team for investigation. 

Options

9 Posts

03-31-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2012-07-14, 1:30 AM

Update... sort of... yesterday I finally got feedup... I went in and used the "Clear data" button on the Smart Actions app.  I then setup all my settings again.  Unfortunately I did not see any emails over night last night.  And then just saw an update to Smart Actions... now running version 3.1.5.2.0.

So I don't know if my clear data or the udpate has done anything, but I will report back.  My guess at this point might be that the update process to ICS caused some issue or change in the with the way it disabled data. 

Again, I will report back if my issue is fixed or still an issue after a couple more nights.

Options

9 Posts

03-31-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2012-07-14, 14:42 PM

Issue is still there, even with the new version.  I really don't want to do a factory reset, but I'm sure that is what you are going to suggest.

Options

9 Posts

03-31-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2012-07-14, 19:44 PM

By the way, I just went through the pain and agony of a factory reset, and I'm still seeing the same issue.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 6 of 12

2012-07-14, 22:25 PM

fatboy97 said:

By the way, I just went through the pain and agony of a factory reset, and I'm still seeing the same issue.

Pain and agony?  Ok, it's more of an annoyance to set the phone up again for some than for others, but I wouldn't call it pain and agony.

Pain and agony is when you trip and fall on the leg of the bed, twisting your ankle, and slam your head against the window sill.  Now that's pain and agony.  Wink

Options

9 Posts

03-31-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2012-07-15, 14:21 PM

Ok... I think I've figured this issue out... not why it's NOT working properly, but what is causing this.

With "Background sync" turned off, this should stop Gmail and everything else from getting data... Correct???

Last night I connected my device to my wall charger... my Sleep Rule actived... I receieved an email before I went to sleep.  I went in to edit the rule and possible add a new Action... I saw I can add "Cellular data" and turn that off... after doing that I saw my "4G/LTE" turn off.  I thought this was interesting. I noticed when I plugged my device back in and woke it up that I could see the data using my Wifi, with the data transmit over Wifi... that got me to thinking.

So I went in to look over the Actions again... this time I added Wifi Off.  Yes, I have had Wifi on all the time.  I do this 24/7 because I have access to Wifi at work and at home, like everyone should be doing to reduce their data usage.

"Background sync" - Off, does not work, unless I'm not understanding what I think it should do.  I would think it should turn off background sync, including Gmail (which is a background sync, isn't it???).  I had to turn off Wifi and Cellular data to stop all data during the night.

Options

140 Posts

02-15-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2012-07-16, 15:27 PM

Hi fatboy97,

Your absolutely correct about the Wi-Fi.  Restricting background data applies only to Cellular data and not Wi-Fi, so if you had Wi-Fi on all the time your data is still is going through. On our end, we need to better educate you guys on these concepts or create better sample rules so these kinds of situations are avoided/minimized. I have this captured and will pass it along to our design team.

Options

1 Posts

07-26-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2012-07-26, 17:21 PM

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that thought I was going crazy.  Thanks fatboy97 for the post.  

SmartActionsExpert - please let me know how you plan to better educate us on the new concepts so I'm not going crazy in the near future.

Thanks!!!

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 10 of 12

2012-07-26, 17:27 PM

SmartActionsExpert said:

Hi fatboy97,

Your absolutely correct about the Wi-Fi.  Restricting background data applies only to Cellular data and not Wi-Fi, so if you had Wi-Fi on all the time your data is still is going through. On our end, we need to better educate you guys on these concepts or create better sample rules so these kinds of situations are avoided/minimized. I have this captured and will pass it along to our design team.

@smartactionsexpert

I understand the original goal was to make SA easy, and for most people that probably works. But even having a web page with all the triggers and actions listed and defined would be great - maybe even the gotchas or exceptions that are too verbose to list on the the phone. For the above example - compare and contrast "background sync off" to "cellular data off" may help a lot of people.

Other helpful hints - what happens when a rule ends - a sleep rule that turns off wifi or BT - does not necessarily turn them back on when the rule is no longer active.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms