Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

10-22-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 6

Smartactions: Location Trigger Issues

2012-10-23, 20:35 PM

I have set a Smart Action using the default Home Rule. I have set my location, which is accurate to about 20m according to Maps.

It seems, however the Smart Actions is rather forgetful, and I have to continuously tell the rule where my address is (even though I only move about 2-3m around the house)

I've deleted and re-added the rules, and I've deleted and re-added the locations. I'm running Smart Actions Version 3.2.1.1.37 for the Razr HD.

Any suggestions? I had this issue with my work address, and it took 40 minutes to force the smart action to remember where work is, only to tell me I was at work when I am at home :(

Options

4740 Posts

06-19-2010

United States of America

101 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Views: 1907
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Smartactions: Location Trigger Issues

2012-10-25, 0:43 AM

Do you have the GPS enabled?  I have used similar apps, and one thing that I think Moto could improve on is their locations settings in Smart Actions. In other apps that I have used they allow you to set a radius. For example, you would set your address, and then set a radius around your address of 50m, 100m, 500m, and so on. 

I think that this may be your issue. Even though Maps shows that you are accurate to 20m, that is not true for the entire time, say you get up and walk to the other end of your residence, now you have moved and it might just be right outside of the set address radius. And this would cause the rule to shut off.

I'm not 100% sure, but you could try and leave your GPS enabled, if it is off while at home and see if that will give you a more accurate location.

Thanks,

J

Options

4740 Posts

06-19-2010

United States of America

101 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Views: 1907
  • Message 3 of 6

2012-10-25, 1:57 AM

When you open Smart Actions and go to set a location if you do not have your GPS enabled it will show that you are in Africa. If this happens, back out of the app, enable the GPS, and go back to the location trigger setting. Give it a minute os so and it should find you.

Thanks,

J

Options

281 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

123 Signins

1897 Page Views

• Views: 1897
  • Message 4 of 6

2012-10-26, 19:52 PM

I have an additional question about location triggers. I have been looking around and haven't been able to find an answer on the forum. How much toll do they take on battery life? I have been using time triggers, but haven't wanted to use location triggers as they require GPS to be left on.

Options

8 Posts

10-22-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2012-10-27, 12:58 PM

Remy said:

When you open Smart Actions and go to set a location if you do not have your GPS enabled it will show that you are in Africa. If this happens, back out of the app, enable the GPS, and go back to the location trigger setting. Give it a minute os so and it should find you.

Thanks,

J

View original

Been there done that, and it seems to just "forget" where I am..... I mean, surely I can't move that far while the phone is on without getting a GPS signal.

I would suggest that it needs to remember where you are instead of thinking that I magically fly from Australia to Africa.

Options

25 Posts

10-06-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2012-10-30, 12:28 PM

I have some unanswered questions from a thread that was locked in favor of this one (even though it came earlier):

How often does it check for a change in location?  Is it continuous?  If not, how often does it check?  Are we talking minutes or tens of minutes?

When using an address for a location does it use a range around that address?  If so, how large of an area?  Would it be possible to make this configurable in the future?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms