Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

11-29-2012

United States

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 1 of 9

Smartactions: Silent Alarm along with other sounds

2012-11-29, 1:26 AM

So I absolutely love SMARTACTIONS!  it does almost everything I could imagine except one glaring oversight.  I created a "Silent" and a "Vibrate Only" option and those work.  For example,  using "Adjust my volume Ringer volume - Silent" if someone calls the phone won't make a sound; however, what it does not do is silent alarms and the other day I had an alarm set that I'd totally forgotten about and was in a very somber setting where I needed my phone silent and the freaking alarm goes off (and of course I use Rooster!).  I desperately need Smartactions to have the option to TOTALLY SILENCE my phone or to put my phone into NOTHING BUT VIBRATE without any possibility of a noise unless I use the VIP Ringer rule.

Speaking of VIP rules, there should be a VIP text message rule option too, but the total silence and total vibrate option is needed before this is really a totally viable app.

BTW, the forums director really should add "SMARTACTIONS" to the spellcheck library so it doesn't flag it ;-)

Thanks...

Options

26 Posts

06-03-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Smartactions: Silent Alarm along with other sounds

2012-11-30, 14:38 PM

Go to Clock > Alarm > Settings and uncheck "Alarm in Silent Mode" and your alarm will no longer sound when in Silent mode. 

If this is a problem at night when you don't want the phone or notifications but you do want the alarm to wake you up, just Disable mobile data and set teh phone ringtone to Silent. That way your alarm still works.

Options

12 Posts

11-29-2012

United States

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2012-11-30, 15:22 PM

Thaks, but that defeats the purpose of SMARTACTIONS.  I don’t want to disable mobile data at night nor should I have to change how Alarms works, SMARTACTIONS should do it for me.  In fact, there’s nothing that SMARTACTIONS can do that I can’t do manually but this is an oversight in SMARTACTIONS that needs addressed.

Options

26 Posts

06-03-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2012-11-30, 15:26 PM

Your first comment is correct, but the only way to do what you want is to (1) put the ringer in Silent mode and (2) change the alarm option to not sound in Silent Mode. There's no single step within Android to do both.

Yes, SA needs to add an option for absolutely every single setting in Android. It'll probably take a while, though.

Options

12 Posts

11-29-2012

United States

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2012-11-30, 15:38 PM

I would certainly agree that an option for every setting would be nice, this just seems to be  glaring oversight.  There are so many other options that I'd never use but the ablity to silence the phone is one that just has to be part of it.

Options

26 Posts

06-03-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2012-11-30, 15:43 PM

I agree, but think of it this way. When you silence your phone (in Android, not using SA), the alarms still work. This is because an alarm would'nt be set to go off at that time unless you actually wanted it, such as "Wake up" or "pick up your child from school." Even if the phone is in silent mode, you want that alarm to be loud. 

If you don't want that, you have to go into the Alarm settings and change it. I'm sure you have a reason to want this feature in SA, but I can't imagine any meeting that necessitates silent mode where I'd choose to ignore my alarms. My alarms are important. That's why they're alarms. 

Still, I certainly want every option in Android available in SA. It's an incredible tool and I love using it. I was using Llama before and I tried Tasker, but this works so much better than either of those.

Options

12 Posts

11-29-2012

United States

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2012-11-30, 18:16 PM

One word: Funeral. 

And yes my alarms are important too.  They remind me to take medication, pick up dry cleaning, get milk on the way home, and when my kid was younger to pick her up to take her places, but if I had to go to a situation like a funeral I would have made other arrangements and, yes, I could have turned my phone off (which I guess I'll have to do until SA adds this feature), but for some reason I expected the option "Adjust my volume" to do this so there needs to be an Adjust Alarm sounds option to the same options that "Ringer Volume" has.  Should be simple enough to do, I mean you have an option to change the wallpaper which really has no functional purpose I can think of other than to have your wife's photo on at home and your company logo at work to kiss up perhaps, but the ability to tell my phone DO NOT BOTHER ME is crucial. 

What's funny is I have a RAZR (Verizon) and a RAZR MAXX (Carolina West).  I just got my MAXX, upgrading from a Quantico where I used to set all my alarms and on the Quantico when you lowered the phone's volume to vibrate or silent the ENTIRE phone adhered to that unless you picked Alarm Only (or something to that end, can't remember the exact wording), but it's sad that a "dumb" phone actually did what I thought was just intuitive and my "smart" phone doesn't.

And, BTW, outside funerals, if you set an alarm for 5PM to get milk and you're in a meeting with a customer or say your boss or an officer in your company and that meeting was to be over by 4:30 PM but ran late, which is more important, your milk reminder or not disturbing your VP or customer and having to apologize?  Next time you see your VP, ask him/her that question and I bet you next week's pay check you get the go ahead to add the feature to deal with Alarm sounds!

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 8 of 9

2012-11-30, 22:19 PM

TubaOrNotTuba said:

One word: Funeral. 

And yes my alarms are important too.  They remind me to take medication, pick up dry cleaning, get milk on the way home, and when my kid was younger to pick her up to take her places, but if I had to go to a situation like a funeral I would have made other arrangements and, yes, I could have turned my phone off (which I guess I'll have to do until SA adds this feature), but for some reason I expected the option "Adjust my volume" to do this so there needs to be an Adjust Alarm sounds option to the same options that "Ringer Volume" has.  Should be simple enough to do, I mean you have an option to change the wallpaper which really has no functional purpose I can think of other than to have your wife's photo on at home and your company logo at work to kiss up perhaps, but the ability to tell my phone DO NOT BOTHER ME is crucial. 

What's funny is I have a RAZR (Verizon) and a RAZR MAXX (Carolina West).  I just got my MAXX, upgrading from a Quantico where I used to set all my alarms and on the Quantico when you lowered the phone's volume to vibrate or silent the ENTIRE phone adhered to that unless you picked Alarm Only (or something to that end, can't remember the exact wording), but it's sad that a "dumb" phone actually did what I thought was just intuitive and my "smart" phone doesn't.

And, BTW, outside funerals, if you set an alarm for 5PM to get milk and you're in a meeting with a customer or say your boss or an officer in your company and that meeting was to be over by 4:30 PM but ran late, which is more important, your milk reminder or not disturbing your VP or customer and having to apologize?  Next time you see your VP, ask him/her that question and I bet you next week's pay check you get the go ahead to add the feature to deal with Alarm sounds!

View original

Well, TubaOrNotTuba, that is the question.  angel

Options

12 Posts

11-29-2012

United States

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2012-12-03, 4:51 AM

The answer to that question is, of course, Tuba.  The other question is can we convince Motorola Mobility to add options to SA to go to total vibrate or total silence.  I thought of another good reason NOT to turn the phone off.  With my daughter away at a music conservaory as a high school sophomore, I need to know if she called me and missed calls are not displayed if the phone is off.  In essense, there should never be a need to turn off a phone once SA has this opiton!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms