Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-11-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 10

question about background sync

2012-08-22, 20:37 PM

What does background sync do?

I have smart actions that detect my home wifi and turns off cellular data. What I would also like to do in these actions is turn off email. Is that what background sync does? I get all of my email on a home pc and don't need to get it on my phone too. I don't want to turn off wifi since my apps do automatic updating when they have a wifi connection. So when I'm home (connected to wifi) I want to update apps and turn off email. Is that possible?

My next question isn't a smart action but I thought I would sneak it in here - sorry. Is there a way to select all email messages and delete them all at one time rather than checking each email and then pressing the delete icon?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: question about background sync

2012-08-22, 21:25 PM

Background sync - controls data sync that is happening automatically. This can be any app like email, or social networks that check automatically in the background. Turning this off will kill all automatic background data updates - you can still manually initiate though.

I know of no way to just stop email while you are home. There is nothing on the phone to do this. The only thing that may do something similar is to set your email on your home PC (if it is POP email) to delete on server after downloaded to PC. The downside is that if you leave your home PC on and it keeps pulling email, then there is nothing for your phone to get.

THe real email solution is to do IMAP or Exchange - so that if you read the email in one location, it is already marked as read when your phone gets it. Gmail does this I think.

As for deleting all email... if stock email client with POP email - hit the menu key, select all, tap delete icon

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

5 Posts

07-11-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2012-08-22, 23:49 PM

Thanks AlphaDog. I do have my home pc set to remove the email from the server but for some reason I still get all of my non-gmail account email on my phone (the gmail works as you say). I turn off my email software when I leave the house so I do then get email when I want to on my phone.

Many thanks for the deleting tip. That will save a lot of time.

Options

27 Posts

05-22-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 10

2012-08-23, 3:56 AM

I have a question in regards to the cellular data and background sync as well. I currently have two smart actions set up. one that when screen is off & phone not charging that data is turned off. I then have another one that once every hour regardless of what's going on data is turned on momentarily to allow syncing. I've heard in some cases it's better just to disable background data and not all cellular data as reconnecting is taxing on the radio/ battery life. Any insight to be provided as to which one will be better?

Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 5 of 10

2012-09-06, 1:48 AM

Does turning off background data also kill push notifications? Will Google voice still notify me when I get a text or voice mail? Weather alerts from apps like weatherbug? I think email notifications from gmail is also pushed data. Is all this disabled?

Seems like it wouldn't be useful to kill everything in the background on a smart phone.

Options

4740 Posts

06-19-2010

United States of America

101 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Views: 1907
  • Message 6 of 10

2012-09-06, 1:53 AM
Yes, that would all be disabled of you turn off the background data.

Thanks,
J
Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2012-09-06, 2:00 AM

I decided to try it myself so I used the stock battery saver smart action. The background data is set to "Only when I'm using that app". I sent an email and text (google voice text) to myself and I did get the notification.

Could it be that I was using the apps so they were still loaded in memory? I power cycled the phone and tried again. Same results.

So either it isn't working and background data is syncing or it doesn't stop push notifications. I'm hoping it is the latter.

edit - the email was sent to my gmail account which is the phones primary account and is a google apps account. Probably doesn't make a different but I didn't try it with pop, imap or exchange.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 8 of 10

2012-09-06, 10:34 AM

Some apps are designed to always run and others are designed to be killed by the OS when they lose focus.

I don't really see a purpose to that data setting "only when i am using the app" if the background sync services still work - this is how I would expect things to normally work. Maybe it is there to keep some from staying open and using up data, but I just don't see a need for this setting.

I think to really understand it, a developer would have to weigh in and explain it - I hate to speculate when I can't see what is happening under the covers.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2012-09-06, 12:16 PM

Can we get a developer's attention? I'm not sure they even monitor these forums.

I'm thinking syncing data is something initiated by an app like google play, music, latitude, weather locations, etc. Pushed data is sent to the phone and it still deals with it. So, when you get an email, the message is sent to the phone and isn't ignored. 

Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2012-09-09, 1:12 AM

Looks like I was wrong. With background sync disabled, I don't get any email notifications. It takes some time to stop as I'm sure I tested it and it worked. Maybe when the phone goes into deep sleep or the app goes out of memory or something, but the notifications do stop. This isn't a good option for me.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms