Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

05-01-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 9

use voice to enter text message in Drive mode

2013-05-01, 16:06 PM

I just got a Vehicle Navigation Dock, and am using the 'Drive' SmartAction.  I can use the Voice Command to initiate a text message or an email, as expected.  But when the text (or email) program starts up, I have to click in the text box to open the 'compose' window, and then click on the microphone to activate voice entry.  Is there a way to have it open the text/email program in voice entry mode automatically?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: use voice to enter text message in Drive mode

2013-05-03, 22:07 PM

Hmmm. I have to play with it, but I think there is a way to do short texts and emails (not sure about in the dock) by saying  "send text to frank, what time is lunch" it willl do it all. Not sure if send is automated though. 

But there is Voice Commands and there is Google's voice input - 2 different apps - so you may want to play with both, outside of the dock, and if you can get one to work they way you want, create a dock shortcut. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

5 Posts

05-01-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2013-05-04, 15:07 PM

AlphaDog, thanks for your response.

Using Voice Commands, there doesn't seem to be a way to enter the content of the text, without manual intervention.

Using Google Voice Search (outside of the dock), I can say "send text to frank, what time is lunch", and it will compose a text message with my content.  I must then manually hit 'send'.  That does at least get me part of the way to my objective, thanks.

Based on your response, I've come up with the following:

In Vehicle Mode:

• Enter Voice Commands

• Say "Go to Voice Search" (brings up Google Voice Search)

• Say "send text to mike, this is a test"

• Touch "Send message"

I have also added Voice Commands to the Other Apps page of Vehicle Mode.  I would prefer to have it on the Vehicle Home page (replacing an app I don't use), do you know if that is possible?

Thanks again for your help.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2013-05-06, 13:20 PM

I don't have a RAZR M - but based on how some other phones work, I don't think you can customize the main dock screen, but I do have some other options:

1. there are other car dock apps in google play - many are free, and let you customize every icon on each page - you can even have this other app start when you dock, just lock the native dock app - great thing about android

2. There are other speech to text apps - maybe try one of those: Sonalight claims to let you send texts without any button touching at all:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonalight&referrer=utm_source%3Dsonalight%26utm_medium%3Dhome%26utm_campaign%3Dhome

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

5 Posts

05-01-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2013-05-06, 16:06 PM

Thanks for your continued help, I really appreciate it.

I've downloaded SonaLight TextByVoice, and it looks pretty nice.  I think I'll try using that in conjunction with the stock Vehicle Mode.

If I'm not happy with that solution, I'll try some other car dock app, as you suggested.  How do I "lock the native dock app", in order to allow the other car dock app to start automatically when I dock the phone?

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 6 of 9

2013-05-06, 16:17 PM

Raspberries said:

I've downloaded SonaLight TextByVoice, and it looks pretty nice.  I think I'll try using that in conjunction with the stock Vehicle Mode.

If I'm not happy with that solution, I'll try some other car dock app, as you suggested.  How do I "lock the native dock app", in order to allow the other car dock app to start automatically when I dock the phone?

View original

After the new app is installed, in Manage Apps, you can clear the defaults of the stock app and set the new app as the default.  Disabling the stock app is greyed out on my phone; I don't know if that changes if a third party dock app is installed.

Options

5 Posts

05-01-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2013-05-06, 16:21 PM

@crystallet, yes, I see now.  Thank you.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2013-05-06, 18:16 PM

crystallet said:

Raspberries said:

View original

After the new app is installed, in Manage Apps, you can clear the defaults of the stock app and set the new app as the default.  Disabling the stock app is greyed out on my phone; I don't know if that changes if a third party dock app is installed.

View original

Yes, if you have more then one app that can handle a function, then the "clear default" is not grayed out on the app that is the default. If you do clear default, then next time you dock, it will ask you to pick an app. 

After installing a new app, you will have the option to pick which one is the default - just this time, or always. 

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 9 of 9

2013-05-06, 18:48 PM

Raspberries said:

@crystallet, yes, I see now.  Thank you.

View original

You're welcome!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms