Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

70 Posts

01-31-2011

USA

4 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 1 of 12

Smart Actions And WiFi

2012-02-17, 0:31 AM

I am attempting to create a smart rule to turn on my wireless when at home and off when I leave that location. So when I try to create that rule I set my location as a trigger, but in actions the WiFi icon is grayed out and not available. 

So I turn off Wifi to see if it needs to be off to create the action and then  try to create the rule, but now when I want to set location it wants to turn on Wifi for location. 

Any suggestions or do I just go back the VZW WiFi app, which actually works very well.

Thanks,

Answer
Options

6 Posts

02-17-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0

Re: Smart Actions And WiFi

2012-02-17, 19:42 PM

It's true that Smart Actions doesn't allow combining location-based rules with the WiFi on and off action.

If you are turning off WiFi to extend battery life, you may not get the benefit you expected. In older phones, just having WiFi on used to consume a great deal of power. Today however WiFi chips use very little energy to run at idle, and typically take less power to send data than 4G. 

That being said, you can still turn off WiFi if you use a timeframe or series of timeframes - if you wish. 

Replies(11)
Options

4283 Posts

12-10-2006

United States

100 Signins

922 Page Views

• Views: 922
  • Message 2 of 12

2012-02-17, 19:00 PM

i have tested this now in every way i can think of and it appears you are correct and you can not turn wifi on and off with location via smart actions. maybe i am wrong but i couldnt think of a comibination of setttings that i didnt try.

Answer
Options

6 Posts

02-17-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2012-02-17, 19:42 PM

It's true that Smart Actions doesn't allow combining location-based rules with the WiFi on and off action.

If you are turning off WiFi to extend battery life, you may not get the benefit you expected. In older phones, just having WiFi on used to consume a great deal of power. Today however WiFi chips use very little energy to run at idle, and typically take less power to send data than 4G. 

That being said, you can still turn off WiFi if you use a timeframe or series of timeframes - if you wish. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

70 Posts

01-31-2011

USA

4 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 4 of 12

2012-02-18, 1:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I will live with the WiFi on and see how goes the battery life...

Options

16327 Posts

11-22-2013

United States of America

13 Signins

325 Page Views

• Views: 325
  • Message 5 of 12

2012-02-21, 20:28 PM

This post has been move to the Smart Actions Community

Mark
Support Forums Manager 

Mark
Former Employee
Options

34 Posts

10-07-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2012-02-23, 1:11 AM

Smart-Actions-Jockey said:

I have seen this comment a couple of times, and I wondered about it, so I did an unscientific test.  I wonder if you can help me interpret the results.  I fully charged the battery and turned wifi on while at the office, where we have no wifi coverage in the building or anywhere nearby.  I then used the phone very little for the next 2.5 hours -- only turning it on a couple of times to check the time & email notifications. After leaving the office & coming home, where the wifi connected to my home network for less than 10 minutes, here is what my battery stats show:

Android OS: 34%

Wi-Fi: 33%

Phone idle: 13%

Cell standby: 10%

Maps: 5% (not sure why this is even active)

Display: 4%

com.motorola.home (sticky note icon): 2%

Wi-fi seems to be pulling a very large percentage of the battery usage in this example.  What am I missing?

Options

4 Posts

04-03-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2012-04-03, 4:41 AM

I agree that the Wifi chips have gotten better and use less energy. Although true it does not excuse the reason why it is not an option in smart action. Most items on the phones these days are better at using less energy than older models. If I understand the reason for Smart Actions in the first place is to give the users access to ways they can conserve energy, automate actions they would like to perform under common situations, and to give the user unique controls to suit his individual needs. I could be wrong so please correct me. If it is something that is not possible to do please say so, If not just make it so because I believe you will find alot of users would enjoy that option. Remember user experience is what sales a product. 

Options

5 Posts

05-24-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2012-05-25, 20:24 PM

htbyron, when you get home, your phone might be updating and pulling power for that.  You should have checked the consuption while at work to see how much power you were pulling there and then check how much was being pulled at home when your phone had access to wifi.  i leave mine on all the time and do see my phone slow down when i get home or at a location where there is an active wifi that my phone connects to.

Options

2 Posts

07-07-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2012-07-07, 11:46 AM

I use an app called Verizon Wifi Auto-On to turn my WiFi on/off based on my location.  It does not require GPS to be on.  Then, based on the hot spot I am connected to, I trigger "Home" or "Work" actions.  The result is exactly what I want, a location based trigger for Wifi that doesn't depend on GPS being on.

Options

140 Posts

02-15-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2012-07-13, 20:02 PM

FYI -The new ICS version of Smart Actions has removed the Location / Wi-Fi gray listing i.e. If a location was selected the wifi action was not available.

Note: On some phones the necessary hardware may not be present so the Wi-fi action will stiill be grayed out in those cases.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms