cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 51,905

Overview

Lenovo Browser Guard (LBG) is a preloaded application that protects the default search and home page settings that are pre-configured in Internet Explorer (IE) when the system is shipped from Lenovo. Browser Guard is pre-installed in the factory and runs in the background when the system is in operation. You will typically not notice that Browser Guard is running unless it detects that a 3rd party application tries to tamper with the factory settings in IE. In this case Browser Guard will prompt the user that an attempt to change the user’s settings has been detected and Browser Guard will prompt the user to indicate if the change should be permitted or not.  

Purpose

Many third party applications attempts to change either the users default search settings or home page or both when they are being installed. They perform these changes even if the application that is being installed has nothing to do with the Internet browser. Although legitimate software vendors ask the user if they agree to the configuration change during install the question may be easy for the user to miss, which will result in the settings being changed. Rogue software developers that produce viruses, malware, etc. will change these settings without the user’s knowledge and also make it very difficult to revert the change once performed.

Lenovo Browser Guard is designed to provide an extra layer of protection and prevent 3rd party applications from changing the user settings without the user’s explicit consent.

Please note that Browser Guard only protects the default factory settings. If the user changes these settings to something else, they will no longer be protected by Lenovo Browser Guard.

Q & A

Q: Will Browser Guard always prevent a 3rd party application from changing my home page and search settings?

A: Browser Guard should prevent the change unless one of the following is true:

1. the user allows the change by dismissing the warning prompt Browser Guard displays.
2. the user has previously changed the settings. Browser Guard only protects the factory settings
3. The Browser Guard program is not running on the system.

Q: How can I change my home page and search settings?

A: Browser Guard will not intervene if you change your settings in Internet Explorer’s settings window. Browser Guard is not designed to stop a user from making any changes he or she wants to do.

Q: Why does my antivirus program display a warning about Lenovo Browser Guard?

A: The way Browser Guard operates to protect your settings can in some cases be mistaken for being suspicious activity by some antivirus programs. Since antivirus programs take the road of caution when they cannot fully determine if a file is a threat or not they prompt the user to investigate the file to ensure it is something they want. 

Q: Is Browser Guard so called malware?

A: No, that an antivirus program may prompt the user about Browser Guard should not be a cause of alarm. All the program does is to stop other pieces of software from changing the user’s browser settings without the user’s consent.

Q: I have Browser Guard installed but some program still changed my settings. How did this happen?

A: Virus and malware programmers constantly try to come up with new methods to circumvent detection and in some cases they are successful.

Q: How do I remove Browser Guard?

A: Lenovo Browser Guard is listed in the “Programs” section of the Control Panel and can be removed from there:

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Under "Programs", click on "Uninstall a program"
  3. Find "Lenovo Browser Guard" in the list, and then click on "Uninstall"

Was this information helpful?

Comments
151rum

What information does Conduit get, that is the question.

AKIM2391

When I perform Step 3 (Find Lenovo Browser Guard in the list, and then click on Uninstall I receive a warning:

You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Lenovo Browser Guard.  Please contact your system administrator.

Since I purchased this laptop (Lenovo G50) personally, for personal use how come I don't have administrator priviliges? .. And importantly, how can I get past this problem in order to delete Browser Guard?

Fyi .. I purchased this laptop for use by my 83 year old mother-in-law.

After I installed ESET anti-virus, I keep getting alerts telling me various Lenovo programs, including Browser Guard are considered as threats .. how do I remove them to avoid having my mother in law  deal with this??

Thank you ..

AKIM2391,

Several anti-virus/anti-malware applications identify LBG as a "Potentially Unwanted Application".

If you'd like to you can go ahead and let ESET remove Lenovo Browser Guard. I believe Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and Paid versions will also remove it. If you have additional questions regarding security software or best practices please post on the Security & Malware Forum. We're always glad to help.