Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemSecurity & Malware
All Forum Topics
Options

2567 Posts

05-01-2010

United States of America

12783 Signins

147778 Page Views

• Views: 147778
  • Message 1 of 3

Alert: Malwarebytes Mimic Site

2013-01-25, 18:10 PM

URGENT:
Malwarebytes mimic site ‘Malwarebiter(dot)com’ hosts fake anti-malware product and spreads malware.

ACTION:
Do NOT visit ‘Malwarebiter(dot)com‘ unless you are using a secured environment (i.e. Virtual Machine or Sandbox)

DETAILS:
A product known as ‘Malwarebiter’ is being advertised as the ‘Worlds Greatest Anti-Malware Software’ is actually fake Anti-Malware software that detects legitimate files as malware (i.e. False Positives) and fails to detect any real malware.

More info here:
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2013/01/cta-malwarebiter-com/

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-Present
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Using Browser Search to Find Your Answers In Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

281 Posts

12-15-2012

United States of America

1093 Signins

62488 Page Views

• Views: 62488
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Alert: Malwarebytes Mimic Site

2013-01-26, 7:18 AM

Thanks for the heads up!

Shows how important it is to be a careful typist, double-check URL's, and never click links in emails until you verify the source and exactly where the link leads. Good thing for web-reputation add-ons such as Web of Trust (WOT) and folks like you who get the word out.

"www.malwarebytes (dot) com" will redirect you to the official "www.malwarebytes (dot) org" site. Good thing these crooks weren't able to get a hold of that domain, but they did get one which was a couple letters off. 

Seems there will always be low-down, no-good, snakes-in-the-grass who are so determined to cause harm they will go to the extent of purchasing a domain a few letters off. I guess when we recommend Malwarebytes or any other program we need to give people their official home page URL, lest they Google and end up at the wrong location. Another good way to avoid copycat sites may be to direct them to a secure download site where the file is hosted.

2567 Posts

05-01-2010

United States of America

12783 Signins

147778 Page Views

• Views: 147778
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Alert: Malwarebytes Mimic Site

2013-01-26, 17:11 PM

Thank you for the good advice, Michael.  On the forums we usually try to give links for direct downloads when doing malware removal. However, MBAM is such a popular product that I am always concerned with people hearing about it via word-of-mouth from friends, radio call-in programs, etc.. and not remembering the exact name or URL.

When in doubt, it is always good to ask in this forum at Lenovo Community or in the dedicated security software forum at SpywareHammer . SpywareHammer also maintains and reviews a list of free security software.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-Present
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Using Browser Search to Find Your Answers In Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)