Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pranjal53
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,240
Message 1 of 3

Best Antivirus For Free

Hey so my mcafee subscription is ending soon and was wondering what options do I have in terms of anitivirus softwares.

This Toms Guide link is great but still I am confused what to use.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,235
Message 2 of 3

Re: Best Antivirus For Free

Hello, 

Welcome to the Security and Malware Discussion Board.

Regarding the article that you referred to, I think this sums it up: "Both Kaspersky's and Bitdefender's products offer only the basics. If you want features such as a password manager or a hardened web browser, normally found in midpriced paid antivirus suites, then Avast Free Antivirus might be for you. But its malware protection isn't as good as the top two and its performance impact is heavier."

For people who want free security software, I usually recommend a layered approach by free products:

1. Windows Defender is already residing on Windows 8-10 and if enabled offers anti-virus/anti-malware protection.

2. Add to that Malwarebytes.  The free Premium trial reverts to a free version after 14 days. Both Defender and MBAM are compatible and work well together, although the paid Premium version of Malwarebytes provides more features.

3.To that combination, I add a free password manager. I use KeePass

I hope this helps.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Highlighted
MusicalCanda
Paper Tape
Views: 934
Message 3 of 3

Re: Best Antivirus For Free

I'm using NOD32 - it's great in fighting against viruses but I agree: to remove spyware and malware you need some other special programs. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors