Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronssherman
Paper Tape
Views: 2,411
Message 1 of 5

BitDefender and Rescue and Recover folder reported as rootkit

I just installed BitDefender and ran a "Deep System Scan".  It reports that all of the files in C:RRbackups are "Rootkit-Hidden Items".  When I go to the folder I cannot access it, nor can I remove the "Read Only"  attribute.  Is this malware or "working as planned"?  The only option BitDefender offers is "unhide" but I am loath to do this, yet, tillI find out what these files really are.

A typical file, as reported by BitDefender is C:\RRbackups\Documents and Settings\mylogonname\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,405
Message 2 of 5

Re: BitDefender and Rescue and Recover folder reported as rootkit

Hello ronnsherman,

the solution is very simple. Uninstall Bitdefender and use Antivir, AVG, first are free for personal use or if you need a solution for company pay little for it.

The new and improved Norton Antivirus Suite should also work fast and secure.

Mostly these errors are reported by a not well coded software like Bitdefender.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

ronssherman
Paper Tape
Views: 2,396
Message 3 of 5

Thanks.  ( I have a T60 (2613-CTO) with 2GB,  running Windows SP Service Pack 2)

I had Norton 360 for a while but in the past month I have been getting Blue Screens of Death from it. I went thru a long debug process before pinning it to the package and went online to their support who confirmed it and said I need to reinstall.  Two re-installs later it was stillhappening.  Enough is enough. So I put on BitDefender (Internet Security) and since then the BSoD have vanished.  I picked BitDefender because it was top rated (by Cnet, I think)among 2009anti-virus/firwall packages.  AVG was also very highly rated. 

So you believe that this is a false positive?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,375
Message 4 of 5

Yes, a false positive, if other suites or online scanner detect nothing.

Norton Antitvirus 2009, AVG or my personal favorite, Antivir, seems better coded, in regards of compatibility with thinkpad software and R&R utillities.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

ronssherman
Paper Tape
Views: 2,369
Message 5 of 5

OK. Then that ties into one other thing I am seeing in the Deep Scan - that everything in the SWTOOLS folder related to Rescue and Recovery is password-protected and cannot be scanned.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors