Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,904
Message 1 of 20

CCleaner and other programs that clear your system [malware event]

Hi everyone!

Attended a course sometime back and the trainer actually said that using programs such as CCleaner and Defraggler are good.

I am paranoid that in allowing the programs access to my system I am putting it at risk.

Is it really safe to run such programs?

Thanks much

serene 

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Please do not PM me - questions belong in the forums. I will not respond to PMs. Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,892
Message 2 of 20

Re: CCleaner and other programs that clear your system

As far as "good" it depends on which components of the cleaner tools that you are using. Generally speaking, it also depends on the age and version of your operating system, and how often these would be used. I do not support the use of so-called "registry cleaners", but CCleaner and others have some other useful features. However, from a security standpoint, you would want to research reviews and use forums such as this to gain information on specific products, making sure that you use reputable ones and would not be installing rogues that not only make false claims, but may give you more than you bargain for by installing malware or accessing personal information..

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,889
Message 3 of 20

Thanks Linda!

I suppose I should stick to manually cleaning up all the junk ( I HAVE PLENTY!) on my laptop!

-serene

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Please do not PM me - questions belong in the forums. I will not respond to PMs. Thanks.

Guru
Views: 4,888
Message 4 of 20

Hi Ubergurl

It's safe to run this programs and it is highly recommended. Both programs are for computer maintenance.

CCleaner - Clear out junks such as Internet Cache, Temporary Files and fix registry issues. As too many junks may slow down your computer.

Defraggler - Hard Disk Defragmentation. Even though Windows has its built-in Disk Defragmenter, Defraggler is faster and more thorough. (Newer version of Defraggler has an option of Offline Defragmentation, which defrags system files when it is locked and not able to be defrag during online) This helps to improve system performance.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation

Personally, I would recommend my friend to run CCleaner and Defraggler once a month (light use) or after heavy programs installation (some lags after installing programs).

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter
(Current: W520 4284-A99) (Refunded: W510 4876-A11)

=============================================
Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Dolby Home Theater v4 (ThinkMix V2)!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Lapt​ops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M155... 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,885
Message 5 of 20

Serene, give CCleaner a try. I've used it for years.

CCleaner has a new version (yesterday), but the Slim build is not available at this time. It usually takes a few days until that one is posted on the Builds page.

Here are my standard instructions that I post for forum users needing cleanups:

Download and scan each user profile with CCleaner (a good utility to keep and use regularly.):

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

** Select to download the SLIM version.

** Because CCleaner removes everything in temp folders, if you have anything saved in a temp folder, back it up or move it to a permanent folder prior to running CCleaner.

** We will be cleaning cookies as well. Make a note of any passwords, etc. that you want to save. If you do not want to delete cookies, simply uncheck that option.

1. Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"

2. Then select the items you wish to clean up. In the Windows Tab:

• Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section.
  • Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section
  • Clean all entries in the "System" section.
  • Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.
  • Clean any others that you choose. In the Applications Tab:
  • Clean all in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
  • Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.
  • Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.
  • Clean any others that you choose.

3. Click the "Analyze" button. When the list of files comes up, click the "Run Cleaner" button.

4. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.

5. Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.

6. Click "exit" when done. REBOOT.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

rpggamergal
Punch Card
Views: 4,880
Message 6 of 20

I use CCleaner but only for cleaning my temp folders I never use it to touch my registry(I also don't believe in using any registry cleaners) though in the past I have used Registry Mechanic, TuneUp Utilities and JV16 tools which I had some bad experience.

CCleaner for cleaning temp folders is good specially if the system only has one user but if the PC has multiple users there are other apps out there which are also good and can clean All users as opposed to CCleaner which only cleans current user.

I haven't used Defraggler so can't comment on that program, I've used Diskeeper but now just using Windows own defragmenter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
Zone Advisor at Experts-Exchange.com

Guru
Views: 4,879
Message 7 of 20

Hi Bugbatter

Your 1. tips is great. Thanks Smiley Very Happy

To add on.

Personally, I would suggest uncheck Old Prefetch Data and Wipe Free Space under "Advanced" section. 

Wipe Free Space is great if privacy / security is critical, so data can never be recovered (Process could take much longer time)
http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/wiping-free-disk-space

Cleaning Old Prefetch Data may slow down the systems.
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/06/one-more-time-do-not-clean-out-your-prefetch-folder/

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter
(Current: W520 4284-A99) (Refunded: W510 4876-A11)

=============================================
Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Dolby Home Theater v4 (ThinkMix V2)!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Lapt​ops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M155... 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,876
Message 8 of 20

Great info, Linda and all!!

Gonna do that right now!

Thanks

serene 

Corrine Microsoft MVP
Microsoft MVP
Views: 4,857
Message 9 of 20

Your timing is good, Ubergurl.  CCleaner was updated yesterday.  Note, however, that the there is usually a delay in making the Slim version available.  You could, however, select the Portable version.

Warning:  One of the first steps often recommended when a computer is infected is to clear Temp Files.  Ordinaily this is a good practice.  However, in the event of one of the Fake HDD or System Defragmenter type of rogues, do not use a temp file cleaner.  This type of rogue makes it appear that Quick Launch and Start Menu items are deleted but actually are stored in the Temp Folder.  This type of rogue adds a +H, or hidden, attribute to all the files on the hard drive, making it appear that they are missing. 

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security
Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SecurityGarden
Security Information and Malware Removal @LandzDown Forum
Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 4,851
Message 10 of 20

I'd like to address the use of so-called registry "cleaners" mentioned by rpggamergal in (I assume) her earlier post.  That is something we very strongly recommend against using.  As a class, they probably have killed more systems than any other type of "cleaner" software commonly used.  The registry is THE set of critical files used to control the operations of your system.  They typically have hundreds of thousands of entries, many that your system cannot work without having.  The supposed purpose of registry sweepers/cleaners, etc., as stated by their developers is to make your system run "more efficiently".  It doesn't, that's simply marketing talking for them. 

Imagine, if you will, that the typical system has 500K entries - that's just a number to illustrate my point.  Suppose that the first run of a registry cleaner deletes 2,500 entries (and that's a lot).  That's 0.5% of the entries.  How much better or faster will a system run with a registry that is only 0.5% smaller?  The answer?  It won't.  You won't see any faster speed.

I once reviewed a (no longer available, thankfully) registry cleaner that was touted as the absolutely greatest around.  And, it deleted a lot of items from a typical registry.  It deleted all items with Name = (Default), and Data = (value not set), e.g., empty items.  Result, guaranteed dead or misfunctioning system, because even empty values or keys are essential.  Some are in use during times when a particular program is running, for others, they can serve as an informational switch, etc.  Some are, admittedly, safe to delete, but most are not.  And, only someone with highly advanced knowledge of Windows, how it functions and what registry items do can make that judgment.  And, is it really worth the risk to delete some item only to find out it was essential, for no benefit?  Can modern computers run any faster having done so?  Nope, they won't, so stay away.

Furthermore, as a general rule, users should never try to edit their registry except under the personal direction of an acknowledged expert.  It is horrendously complex, and interconnected.  One significant misstep, and you may be forced to reinstall your entire system.  It isn't worth it - stay away from them.

One further point.  Using a registry cleaner to try to remove malware yourself, is not a good idea at all.  Registry entries left by malware can often help us determine the nature of the malware on the system as well as where it is hidden.  Please don't try to fix malware yourself - all you will likely be to make it harder for us to fix it properly.

Don't Read? Can't Learn!
Administrator, SpywareHammer.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors