11-03-2011

Upstate, NY

512 Signins

3417 Page Views

• Views: 3417
  • Message 11 of 20

Re: CCleaner and other programs that clear your system

2011-11-29, 15:56 PM

What PCBruiser said cannot be emphasized enough and needs to be repeated!

"The supposed purpose of registry sweepers/cleaners, etc., as stated by their developers is to make your system run "more efficiently".  It doesn't, that's simply marketing talking for them."

Windows is a closed source system. Developers of registry cleaners do not have the core code of Windows 7 and are not working on definitive information, but rather they are going on past knowledge and experience. Automatic cleaners will usually have to do some guesswork.

Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.

Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.

Windows 7 is much more efficient at managing the registry than previous Windows versions.  There are no gains to be had from using a registry cleaner and the risk is great.

There are safe methods of improving your PC's performance, as illustrated in Increase PC speed: Optimize your computer, help your PC run faster by Microsoft.  Interestingly, the article includes the following Note:

"Note: This article does not address or recommend tinkering with the registry files. Such activities can be detrimental to your computer and should only be attempted by properly trained professionals."

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security
Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SecurityGarden
Security Information and Malware Removal @LandzDown Forum
Options

1944 Posts

05-17-2008

USA

4725 Signins

59404 Page Views

• Views: 59404
  • Message 12 of 20

2011-11-29, 22:37 PM
here is a tool kind of like ccleaner (which I've used forever) its Glary utilities it has more functions than ccleaner http://www.glarysoft.com/products/utilities/glary-utilities/download/ (make sure you select the free version not the PRO version) I can't believe all of the good info coming out of this board

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Options

66 Posts

11-03-2011

Upstate, NY

512 Signins

3417 Page Views

• Message 13 of 20

2011-11-30, 0:39 AM

Again the requisite warning if you use Glary Utilities, avoid the Registry cleaner for the reasons stated above. :) .

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!
Options

789 Posts

08-03-2011

GB

11689 Signins

297219 Page Views

• Views: 297219
  • Message 14 of 20

2011-11-30, 0:42 AM

Hi Corrine and all

Will do. Thanks so much!!

serene 

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. Did you find a post helpful? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up! Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.
Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

66 Posts

11-03-2011

Upstate, NY

512 Signins

3417 Page Views

• Message 15 of 20

2011-11-30, 1:14 AM

You're welcome, Serene.  Happy cleaning! :)

Options

3586 Posts

12-02-2007

US

8969 Signins

184176 Page Views

• Views: 184176
  • Message 16 of 20

2011-11-30, 22:08 PM

Hello,

One thing I do before removing any temporary files and defragmenting my disk volumes is to reboot.  This ensures that no applications which may create temporary files are running, and allows any pending changes to the system like software updates, Windows hotfixes and so forth to be applied.

To remove temporary files on my computer running Microsoft Windows 7, I go to the following directories:

%windir%\TEMP
%localappdata%\TEMP

inspect the contents (look at date created, last accessed and so forth) and delete anything that does not look like it is going to be needed any more.  Things get a little more complicated for the web browser, but Internet Explorer 9 stores temporary files in the 

%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

directory, so that is the starting point for what to remove.  If there is a question about whether a file may still be needed, I will typically move it to a different location.  That way, in the event the system behaves unexpectedly after removing a file, I can just restore it.  I know this takes a little more effort than just using a program to automate the process, however, I prefer having the finer grain of control this allows and, of course, if my computer behaves horribly wrongly afterwards, I know exactly that it was my fault and not that of a third-party application.

My general rule of thumb for disk defragmentation is to do them once every two to three months, whether the hard disk drives need them or not.  The only operation I notice that typically shows a major benefit after a defragmentation are my backup operations.  Scans for new and changed files occur noticeably more quickly after the file system after the layout of files has been optimized on a volume.

I do not use any registry cleaning programs.  As others have more eloquently noted, they do more harm than good.  I tried some of these during the Windows XP-era and while some of them did make small improvements some of the time, they would also break programs as well.  One of the things which Microsoft did with Windows Vista and later was to make the operating system largely self-maintaining in terms of optimizing the registry and I don't think the advantages of these programs outweigh the risks involved.

I am sure that by now quite a few of us are familiar with Fake AV programs and the various scams they use to trick unsuspecting people into paying for a program which does... nothing.  Although not as widespread, there have been a few "registry" and "disk maintenance" programs that behave similarly, popping up intrusive and scary messages warning of the computer's impending doom and offering to fix the problem... after the program has been purchased.  Essentially, it's the same scam as the fake antivirus programs, except with a different hook.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

66 Posts

11-03-2011

Upstate, NY

512 Signins

3417 Page Views

• Message 17 of 20

2011-11-30, 22:51 PM

Although Serene asked about using automated programs, for those who wish to use onboard tools, consider the Disk Cleanup tool.  Disk Cleanup removes temporary files, empties the Recycle Bin, and removes a variety of system files and other items no longer needed.  Disk Cleanup will free up disk space and help optimize your computer, particularly if followed by Disk Deframentation. 

Before running Disk Cleanup, I recommend creating a fresh restore point..  (Keep in mind that System Restore is not  "permanent storage" and old restore points cycle out.)

Following are the steps for running Disk Cleanup on Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click start, type Disk Cleanup in the search box
  • Right-Click Disk Cleanup and select "Run as Administrator" and accept the UAC elevation prompt.
  • Select the drive where Windows is installed (if you have more than one drive) and click "OK".
  • When the scan completes, check/uncheck desired boxes.
  • To include old System Restore points, click the More Options tab at the top.
  • Click the "Clean up..." button under the "System Restore and Shadow Copies" section at the bottom.
  • Click Delete in response to the question "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?", click OK and answer Yes again.
  • The disk clean up utility will remove the selected items.  When it completes, please restart the computer to properly record the changes made to the hard disk.
Options

14 Posts

11-03-2011

United States

15 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 18 of 20

2011-12-01, 2:26 AM
In summary...disk cleaning is good. Registry cleaning is not so good.

I'll just ditto most of what has been said regarding the disk cleanup utility, CCleaner.

It's good, quick and useful. It makes good sense to review all the pre-checked items. Make sure you agree to them...uncheck those you don't.

One last point regarding the "registry cleaning" concept. I would challenge anyone to prove a measurable benefit derived from using any one of them. First, and foremost, there is none. Secondly, and the most important point, is that the Windows Registry has no need of cleaning. The term "Registry Cleaner" is, in my opinion, a misnomer at best, and misleading at the very worst. Sometimes, catastrophic. Here's a plausible scenario:

A novice who reads or hears of such a thing as a "Registry Cleaner" sets about looking through the web using that search term. Unfortunately, there are plenty out there that are indeed malicious, and have "registry cleaner" as part of it's name.

The novice finds one aptly named, and happily clicks away answering yes, yes, ok, ok...and things begin to change.

Change is good. Right? Not so fast. What may change under that scenario is ownership. Ownership of YOUR computer. By that I mean, some of the programs, hosted on the web for download, are not what they purport to be.

There are programs written with the intention to defraud. Some of these have bundled with them, a rootkit which allows it's designer to take control of your system.

There are very real possibilities of downloading and installing malicious software under any name, much less disk or registry cleaning programs...or antivirus programs.

I bring this to light since I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere and this is, after all, a security event.

Caution should be used no matter what you choose to download.

Research the program before you download or install it. Ask questions first...and sorrow might not be your end result.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
Member of Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
SpywareHammer
Options

10 Posts

07-13-2008

Dallas, TX

21 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 19 of 20

2011-12-12, 7:57 AM

THANKS for the info on CCleaner.  Do you have any more suggestions/recommendations on what to UNCHECK ?  I am never sure what it is that I want to keep (i.e. cookies with my stored passwords, etc.) so I uncheck lots of stuff - which kind of defeats the purpose.  

Options

66 Posts

11-03-2011

Upstate, NY

512 Signins

3417 Page Views

• Message 20 of 20

2011-12-12, 15:34 PM

Hi, kbyno1.

To supplement the suggestions by PeterTWJ, I would be careful considering any of the Advanced options on the Windows tab.  Selecting any of those optons will result in a Warning by CCleaner explaining the results.  For example, if you select the "Menu Order Cache" any custom ordering of the start menu will be removed.  This is essentially a wasted operation.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save