Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChawenHalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,129
Message 1 of 11

Defender blocks Vantage

W10 (x64) Defender keeps blocking the Vantage updates. Could someone help me include the correct pathways exceptions please? I would not have a clue what to add and what not to add. Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,105
Message 2 of 11

Re: Defender blocks Vantage

Can you please post a screenshot that shows the problem you are reporting?  I'm not seeing any conflict between Vantage and Win10 Defender here.

ChawenHalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,090
Message 3 of 11

Its blocking access to protected files (ransomware protection). Screeshot would be in french so no help. I'm not sure which folders or files to include in defender exemption / authorised access and modification.
Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,088
Message 4 of 11

Oh, so you turned on the Ransomware protection Controlled folder access?  This is off by default, so I just wanted to confirm that you turned it on?

ChawenHalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,081
Message 5 of 11

Yes I did
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,055
Message 6 of 11

OK, I understand now.  I turned it on here and saw several popup messages like "unauthorized changes blocked".  Not just from Vantage, but also from Chrome, Synaptics, and even some built-in Windows processes.  All of the events are logged as warnings in Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Defender -> Operational.  

To avoid these kinds of messages, I think you want to go back to Ransomware Protection screen and choose the option about "Allow an app through Controlled Folder Access".  Then click on "Add an allowed app" and select "Recently blocked apps".  For Vantage, the related apps will be like Lenovo.Modern.ImController.

For System Updates that Vantage installs, it seems more difficult because there are many different installers that can trigger this message.  I personally wonder if it's a good idea to turn off Ransomware Protection before you install System Updates.  Then turn it on again after.

ChawenHalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,020
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for your help, but I could not get the info as to what part of what program was being blocked, its above my skill level unfortunatly. It seems that if I manually trigger the update from Windows 1st then Lenovo Vantage (things like BIOS updates) it get through. The stange thing is that from Win notification it indicated that it blocked sole processes that were atempting to access restricted files, but I just can't get the full message to cut and paste the pathway into exeptions. This is way to complicated for a layman and I am surprised at this lack of integration of security features between Lenovo and Win Defender.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,013
Message 8 of 11

I think making exceptions for paths is not realistic.  Instead, you need to make exceptions for apps by choosing from the list of recently blocked apps.  I agree that this Ransomware feature is too complicated and I'm personally surprised at the notices that pop up from built-in Windows processes (even when I don't have any Lenovo software installed).

ChawenHalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,004
Message 9 of 11

It makes sense but in Win 10 I have to add a path to the App that's been blocked and I wouldn't have a clue which folder to include or exclude. I know programs are .exe but that's about as good as my IT knowledge is...
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 999
Message 10 of 11

When you click on "Add an allowed app" you have a choice between "Recently blocked apps" and "Browse all apps".  If you choose "Recently blocked apps", you can pick the apps from a list.  The path is already filled in for you.  So just pick the apps that you trust and don't want to get any more warnings about.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors