Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psmlenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 2,314
Message 1 of 1

Deleting infected RRUbackups

On my X40 with R&R version 2.0 (2.02.078) Bitdefender is reporting hidden rootkits in my RRUbackups folder.  
I recently took this machine, along with our two desktops, to my tech support guy who is very experienced and who managed to remove rootkits and other nasties from all the machines using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other tools which I have continued to run on the desktops.  These tools found a few more over the course of a few days, but now seem to be clean.  

The X40 was the last one they worked on and when I ran a deepscan with BitDefender AV 2008 (which is running on all the machines), it reported hidden rootkits in the  RRUbackups folder.  When I contacted BitDefender support, they suggested I disable real-time protection and then delete the folder. When I tried that, the following error message appears:

Cannot delete RRUbackups: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I read elsewhere that to delete existing backups I have to run a new one, which I tried.  Once it starts, XP reports an error and says it has to close R&R.  As I recall R&R does in fact run and simply continues to eat up precious space on the disk.   
When I hover over the RRUbackups folder with the mouse, I'm told the folder is empty.  If I double-click it,  I'm told "Access denied."  

Any help in advising me how to delete this folder would be greatly appreciated.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors