Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MRG1
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 792
Message 1 of 21

Do I have a Trojan? Help please!

I made a mistake and deleted files for Avast Anti-Virus (and I also uninstalled it) because I thought I would be able to install another anti-virus program I saw at cnet. When I tried to install, I had problems and ended up trashing the file. Now I have nothing! (I like Avast ok, but I thought it slowed everything down.)

Then I tried to download a free software file from Lexmark (windows 7-64bit for printer 9500) I really need this driver, so I can use my printer. (The same software was used on a Gateway computer and worked fine.) Because of my slower connection, it took 9 hours to download, only to be told that it was corrupt. Its possible the connection was too slow. I think I may have a Trojan.

I am going to try and download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from cnet. If I am not successful, rather than hire Geek Squad to get rid of the Trojan, I would like to try and do this myself. Does anyone know the procedure?

Also- IE8 Freezes up and whites over, when I have several windows open. Sometimes IE disappears off the screen and then comes back. For awhile it stopped and then came back. Last few days, the connection has been slower.

Windows updates continues to download and I cannot get it to stop.

Any other thoughts? I'm open to suggestions. I don't want to spend anymore $ on Geek Squad or antivirus software, if I can get the same for free. If I don't have a Trojan, then great- I just have a lousy ISP. I need to know what it is....driving me nuts and taking all the fun out of my computing experience.

Thanks for the help-

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 781
Message 2 of 21

Re: Do I have a Trojan? Help please!

Welcome to the forums!

Try using Microsoft's system sweeper. Although this is  a beta program, it's a bootable version of the  security essentials suite and might help you to remove any malware , if found on your system

https://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper

Instructions on how to use the tool are available on the link

Hope this helps you 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 776
Message 3 of 21

Hi MRG1,

The procedure depends on the type of malware on the system. If you are able to  download and run MBAM, please post your log. If you run System Sweeper and are still having problems, see if you are able to download DDS and save it to your desktop.

• Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds.scr to run the tool.
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.

Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Some instructions for disabling AV are HERE.

---------------------------------------------------
Please include the contents of the following logs by copying and pasting the text of each into your next reply:

DDS.txt
Attach.txt

Those scans are for diagnostic purposes and will not clean the malware. Based on what shows up in those logs I will post additional advice.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

MRG1
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 738
Message 4 of 21

Hi!

Thank you for the answers- it helps!

I was able to download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes came up with nothing. The same with Windows Defender.

I am not satisfied. I left the machine on last night. When I got up this morning, the computer told me it had successfully recovered from blue screen. I know something is going on. IE froze up on me twice yesterday, slow connection, etc. The classic signs of a virus or Trojan-

I will attempt to run and download the suggestions everyone has made + antivirus. I'm going to report back either way. Hopefully, one of the programs will come up with something and the problem will be solved. Wish me luck!

MRG1
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 733
Message 5 of 21

Someone asked that I post MW log-

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.1.1800
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7496

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514

8/20/2011 1:03:04 PM
mbam-log-2011-08-20 (13-03-04).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 285886
Time elapsed: 18 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 731
Message 6 of 21

Your MBAM is slightly outdated. It is now at Database version: 7496, but in your case that may not make much difference. 

Were you able to run DDS so you can post those two logs?

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

SpywareHammer

MRG1
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 710
Message 7 of 21

I uninstalled Malewarebytes. I downloaded and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. I ran both a quick and full scan. It also came up with nothing I cannot paste the log, because I can't find it.? Where is the log? I think "History" is reserved for what is found. (Now that I anti-virus and malware protection, I thought I'd keep it on my system.)

It was suggested that I run DDS. I don't mind doing this, but I don't know how to disable Microsoft Security Essentials, without uninstalling it. It took a long time to update, so I am hesitant to do this. Does anyone know how to disable the program, without uninstalling it? (The bootable DDS is a good idea I think)

Any other ideas?

Please advise-

Mary

johnv474
802.11n
Views: 707
Message 8 of 21

I support the above recommendations.

As an additional comment, there are many reasons why IE can slow down or white over when you have several tabs open.  One of them is memory leaks and poorly-written scripts in the websites you visit.  Another is if you have additional processes on the computer hogging the resources (these can be antivirus or search programs that are indexing your files, as two common examples).  Another could be some software that is not updated with the latest fixes.

As for websites, I find certain sites cause more issues than others.  Sites with lots of advertising, banners, media, etc., tend to be messier in this regard.  For example, if I visit a news site then open several leaks into new tabs, the pages will hog memory and slow the entire system down.  I can say with certainty that there are no virus or trojan issues on this system.

So, for what it's worth, there may be non-virus issues that can cause the symptoms you have described.  If the scans you are doing are not giving results, then you may do well to look for the cause elsewhere as well.  Chances are that you do not have some type of malware unknown to the antivirus programs--it's possible, but less likely than the alternatives.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 701
Message 9 of 21

Mary, chances are that you will not need to disable MSSE just to run DDS. However, if you need to, here's how:

To disable MSSE:

Open the program using the icon down by your clock. When MSSE opens click on Settings.> Real-ime Protection. UNcheck "Turn on Real-time protection". Close MSSE.

(Don't forget to turn it on later)

SpywareHammer

MRG1
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 690
Message 10 of 21

Bugbatter- thank you for the info! I went ahead and disabled it. (The internet is already faster.)

I am going to download and run DDS- I want to be sure. It will be a relief to know that I don't have a virus or trojan-

Next step is to download the printer software. I really need to get it on this machine. I am beginning to worry. I need the printer!

After I have all my downloads completed and the printer is hooked up, I will turn Essentials back on. It slows things down, but not all the time and I know I am protected. Is it better than Avast?

Windows just will not leave me alone- download this and download that- ugh!

Thank you all-

Please see page 2- I ran DDS.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors