11-07-2014

US

1509 Signins

23966 Page Views

• Views: 23966
  • Message 1 of 17

Favorite Anti-Malware / Anti Virus program

2017-01-31, 20:08 PM

Personally, I have tested quite a few versions / apps over the years and a consistantly strong contender has been Avast for the "always on guard" protection.  The free version is a great basic app, light on resources and one of the best for "in the wild" detection apps on the free market.  The other favorite that I return to time and time again is Malwarebytes (used on demand) which I run as a standalone app about twice a month.

Between the two I have yet to see a problem crop up on my shop computers.  Having said that (knocking on wood) I just was informed by a client that they upgraded to Malwarebytes Pro (paid for version) and it successfully stopped a ransomware attack dead in the water.  That is a great sign, one that I did not see in version 2.x of the software.  The latest 3.x version does advertise a ton of good features and makes it a top contender in my book...

I would be interested to hear comments on your favorites, both stand alone and on demand scanning.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Options

5550 Posts

06-27-2008

US

28457 Signins

1626732 Page Views

• Views: 1626732
  • Message 2 of 17

Re: Favorite Anti-Malware / Anti Virus program

2017-01-31, 22:17 PM

G'day, CB!

I've been running ESET NOD32 AV for a long time. I like it, immensely, and plan to continue running it.

Cheers!

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

7716 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76839 Signins

2154113 Page Views

• Views: 2154113
  • Message 3 of 17

2017-02-02, 0:55 AM

I'm fond of ESET Smart Security as the resident "live" security software with Malwarebytes free as the on-demand scanner for times when I'm concerned that something might have gotten through.  So far, so good...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

1227 Posts

09-12-2012

US

2339 Signins

21232 Page Views

• Views: 21232
  • Message 4 of 17

2017-02-02, 12:29 PM

I have gone thru many different Anti-Virus solutions over the years. I started with McAfee back when I was using DOS 5.5. Since then I have used Norton, AVG, ZoneAlarm, AdAware, Spybot S&D, and a whole bunch of others for trial periods or as beta testing. Some that launched, some that died a horrible death. I even ran one that was hardware based and required me to install a card into my desktop. That did not last long. I have quit using them all because in the end, they failed me. Some just did not work because they were to kludgey or I just could not figure out how to get them to work with my system. Some let bad virus's thru.

Right now, I am using ESET Smart Security, the full version, and MalwareBytes 3, the pro version. Why do I use them? I started using ESET because I was given a free license. But I have kept on using it because it does a good job, and it does not bog my system down. I recently installed it on two Android devices, and it works there as well. I also use the pro version of MalwareBytes because I was exposed to the free version many moons ago, and it worked well. So I bought a copy because it did its job with a minimum of problems. I recently updated to version 3 which also has an Anti-Virus scanner. So far all the problems I have run into are cosmetic. But I am beginning to worry a bit. I have quit using other products in the past because of bloat. So far version 3 is working well, even with ESET running. I know that breaks the rule about only 1 Anti-Virus scanner, but Malwarebytes is still working well. So I will stick with these two for now.

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
Options

62 Posts

03-11-2017

US

144 Signins

1664 Page Views

• Views: 1664
  • Message 5 of 17

2017-03-15, 14:29 PM

I totally agree with the author of this thread. I have been using Avast free (stand alone) for years and I have never contracted a virus or malware. It warns you "before" you download anything in contrast to some other AV solutions that deal with malware "after" it has been downloaded and is now resident on your PC. It is light weight and does the job for free.

Options

1997 Posts

05-01-2010

US

12392 Signins

143928 Page Views

• Views: 143928
  • Message 6 of 17

2017-03-15, 14:39 PM

Hi newlaptop,

In addition to Avast, which other anti-virus programs' blocking features have you tested? Please specify Free or Paid. That can make a difference.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-Present
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Options

62 Posts

03-11-2017

US

144 Signins

1664 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2017-03-15, 15:47 PM

Hi Bugbatter,

I actually tested mostly all of them but that was some time ago. I used an AMTSO online tester (no longer available) that tested many functions, including the ability to recognize malware "before" a full download, and there were only two that passed all the tests. At that time only Avast and Norton 360 passed all the tests. You can read more about the actaul tests here but they are no longer available:

Major AntiVirus Companies Fail Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization News Release

You can also read a detailed discussion by individuals that actually did the tests here:

Test your AV program

Unfortunately, the online testing is no longer available and, since these tests were done in 2013, I don't think they should be used to make any AV choices in 2017; however, if anyone wants a free AV solution that really works, look no further than Avast IMHO.

Cheers,

newlaptop

Options

1997 Posts

05-01-2010

US

12392 Signins

143928 Page Views

• Views: 143928
  • Message 8 of 17

2017-03-15, 16:54 PM

Thanks for the info albeit a few years outdated. Regardless of the date, based on the MspPortalPartner News spelling and grammatical errors, as well as the MSP's connection to vendors, I would be somewhat suspect of anything suggested by their authors. However, Avast always seems to do fairly well in testing. Avast is a very good choice but not the only one. Security software changes from day to day. I would suggest to anyone who is interested to do some research and stay current by following the quarterly results at https://www.av-comparatives.org/. 

I've tried just about all the AV's at one time or another on different systems over the years. I've removed infections on hundreds of computers using just about everything that their owners believed (or were told) was the best. It is usually prudent to use that which meets our needs. One size does not fit all when it comes to software and handware.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-Present
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Options

62 Posts

03-11-2017

US

144 Signins

1664 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2017-03-15, 17:18 PM

I agree with almost everything you said except the part about the spelling and grammatical errors because those errors were not from the organization that offered the testing. They were from the author of that news release (which was not AMTSO). In summary, those tests were accurate at the time of testing and your suggestion to look at current test results is valid; however, even they change from month to month. Specifically, there is no consistent winner in that category either. So, for me it came down to free or pay and I chose free because I felt confident Avast would do the job and it has for many years.

Options

3487 Posts

12-02-2007

US

8942 Signins

182181 Page Views

• Views: 182181
  • Message 10 of 17

2017-03-16, 10:14 AM

Hello,

The Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization† (AMTSO) is not a testing or certification agency.  It is a non-profit organization which exists to improve how anti-malware software is tested.  Its members include:

• anti-malware companies like Symantec, McAfee and Sophos
  • testers like AV-Comparatives, AV-Test and Virus Bulletin
  • certification agencies like ICSA Labs and Veszprog
  • individuals who are reviewers like Neil J. Rubenking of PC Mag, academics like Vesselin Bontchev from the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, and other professionals from industry and education

AMTSO has created several tools such as its Features Settings Check amd CloudCar (a pun on EICAR), which are tools to check that your anti-malware software is properly installed and working (or conversely, if you've disabled certain features, that they are correctly disabled).  While a lot of anti-malware companies are members of AMTSO, a lot are not, and detection of AMTSO's various test files is not a measure of product quality. 

In effect, these are the anti-malware equivalent of the "ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ʙᴀᴛᴛᴇʀʏ" button on a smoke detector to let you know that its working.  That button doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the smoke detector, how well it works (sensitivity, susceptibility to false positives or false negatives), how long the battery inside it will last, verification of any of the manufacturer's claims, and so forth.  That's what those AMTSO test files mean to anti-malware software.

If you want to see how a particular anti-malware program fares in tests, visit one of the testers that's an AMTSO member like AV-Comparatives, AV-Test, MRG Effitas, SE Labs and so forth, and see if they have certifications from organizations like ICSA Labs, Veszprog (Checkvir), et cetera.

No test is perfect, of course, and you might also want to try evaluating an anti-malware program (or two, or even three) to see what works best in your environment.  I wrote a two-part post on Reddit a few months ago about how to do this.  Part 1, Part 2.  You might also enjoy this post which talks about all the other things you should be doing besides running anti-malware software, and this one where I attempt to answer one of those "Is AV Dead?" questions.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

For some reason AMTSO's web site is down right now, but I was using it a couple of days ago, so I've included links that were still in my browser history so you can visit it when access is restored.  AMTSO site is back up.  UPDATE (2017-03-16 18:20 GMT-7):  AMTSO's hosting provider was having problems.  They (and the other 5,000 other web sites at the host) are back up now.

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save