Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Armeris
Blue Screen Again
Views: 339
Message 1 of 4

Intel security and performance problems

Hi all!

A year ago I bought a new T480 Thinkpad with the Intel i7 8650 processor.

Since then there have appeared many vulnerabilities in the Intel processors, some without solution and other ones with solutions that reduce the performance of the processor.

I would like to know if this is a issue that can be covered by the warranty of the product, because the processors doesn't work properly as they have big security problems, and the solutions have a big impact in the performance.

Kind regards,

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 146
Message 2 of 4

Re: Intel security and performance problems

Hi Armeris! Welcome to our forums community. What issue is exactly are you having? Could you provide to us more details? Was there any error message? You may want to check the warranty coverage here: https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/l505-0010-02_en.pdf. Let us know. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Armeris
Blue Screen Again
Views: 131
Message 3 of 4

Hi!

I don't have any specific error because the system works, but as you may know, Intel has reported many security errors in the design of ther processors. The solutions proviced for these errors reduce the performance of the processor up to 20%.

The options we have is to use the system without patching it, mantaining the security issues or patch the errors and have a loss on the performance on the machine.

As I've said there is no specific error but I think that this can be considered as the product is not working properly, and that should be covered by the warranty.

Kind regards,

Highlighted
ve2mrx
Token Ring
Views: 40
Message 4 of 4

Hi!

If you are referring to the Intel Side Channel Vulnerability Microarchitectural Data Sampling,  Lenovo has provided instructions to follow  here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t480-t....

As this vulnerability is industry-wide, everyone is equally affected, and to be fair, a fix is available for your machine by Lenovo and Intel. Nobody, including Lenovo, Intel, Microsoft and any other company can guarantee that a computer is free from security vulnerabilities. Almost all computers manufactured in the last 15+ years are affected, whether they use an Intel, AMD or ARM CPU. Unfortunately, so many CPUs are affected by this new group of vulnerabilities that it will take decades to remove all devices from service.

Fixing the vulnerability requires new CPU designs, new CPU microcode to prevent the exploitation as well as new programming techniques to reduce the effectiveness of the attack. Intel has provided new microcode as well as programming guidance regarding this vulnerability, and Lenovo has published a BIOS update that includes the new microcode for your machine. If the guidance provided by Lenovo and Intel has been followed, your system is safe.

However, in some CPUs, there is a performance impact to this security fix, as you are aware. How did you come to the conclusion your system is 20% slower? What does this utility https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm say?

Martin

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors