Options

3 Posts

08-22-2018

US

2 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Vantage BIOS Update....(kinda pissed this happened...)

2018-08-22, 7:12 AM

This almost killed my laptop... don't really know too much about computers so when the vantage notification for a "critical update"  for BIOS popped up, i was like oh i better update.

about 30 minutes into the process i was wondering why it was taking so long. was also wondering why my screen was black. but the laptop fan was running so i thought it must still be updating. then i started researching (on my phone...) how long the update should've taken. apparently it takes no longer than 10-15 minutes.

read through some forums (again, on the phone....) ....basically saying that if bios was messed up on the computer, it would no longer work. if i try to restart during the process, computer would no longer work, etc. eventually got sick of waiting and restarted the computer (since it wasn't working anyways...) computer would boot up, show the logo, load for about 10 seconds then black screen... (about to throw this out the window)

read through some more forums, found out bios was resettable. laptop is a y520 btw. pressed the reset button (is it called the reset button?? the little tiny button you need a pin for, right by the headphone jack?? idk/idc) went into bios setup/setting (again idk) and loaded optimal setting (or was it default settings?... i dont remember...even though i literally just did it...) and now my computer works perfectly fine again lol. 

*Don't need help or anything.... Just wanted to complain you lenovo vantage for putting me through this ...for an update that i dont even need.. 

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Options

9 Posts

08-21-2018

FR

20 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Vantage BIOS Update....(kinda pissed this happened...)

2018-08-22, 8:08 AM
I've never understood why there are so many BIOS updates on lenevo and why they always ask you if your PC is the right one...
What was the version of the update ? The last one : 5XCN24WW ?
I installed it yesterday manually because lenovo vantage doesn't seem to ask me to update my BIOS anymore and i had to turn on my PC several times after updates before it worked >:(
Options

4353 Posts

07-24-2013

CH

13023 Signins

377428 Page Views

• Views: 377428
  • Message 3 of 5

2018-08-22, 8:20 AM
Movido a la comunidad en Castellano

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

3 Posts

08-22-2018

US

2 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 4 of 5

2018-08-22, 17:54 PM

The update version was 4kcn44ww

Options

2 Posts

01-02-2019

US

3 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 5 of 5

Re:Lenovo Vantage BIOS Update....(kinda pissed this happened...)

2020-08-13, 23:05 PM

I had the same thing happen.   After this unnecessary bios update my nearly new computer (I had only bought the computer a few months before) would no longer boot up at all.  Just a black screen.  I spoke Microsoft on the phone about it.  They intended to charge me more money to get their help fixing it.    Their rational, "Well you chose to do the update."  Yeah, I chose to do it because your "security program" Lenovo Vantage claimed it was a Critical Update.  Repeatedly.  Over the top of what I was working on.  Convincing me it really was "critical", like Lenovo Vantage kept saying, and making it very difficult to get anything else done until I went ahead and agreed to the update.  

After several days of intense research on my own I was finally able to remove the bios update and salvage my computer, no thanks to Microsoft.  But Microsoft did confirm that not only was a bois update not needed on my computer, like Lenovo Vantage claimed (and continues to claim), but that updating the bios when it is not needed is downright dangerous.

Now Lenovo Vantage continues to send that same obnoxious "Critical Update" alert.  It is constantly interrupting and interfering with what I am working on.  Worse, I am downright afraid that sooner of later I am going to click on this sudden unexpected pop up in the middle of my screen while trying to click something else.  I have looked and looked, but still have found no way of declining the update or turning the incessant notifications off that without disabling ALL update notifications.  I just want the ONE update - the unwanted, unneeded, dangerous bios update - turned off.  

Microsoft, seriously, FIX THIS.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete