Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harley7575
Paper Tape
Views: 2,117
Message 1 of 8

Malware - Trojan ?

While reading an email I received a message about a possible virus.

Eventually I received a window with the message,  "Return to Personal Security and download to secure your PC.

pack_401s1.exe

from scan-and-secure09.com

Is this a virus, should I do the download and run?  How do I get rid of it?

Thanks,

Joe

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,105
Message 2 of 8

Re: Malware - Trojan ?

these are spam messages, don't trust what they say..... 

You should install Avast Anti-virus software (free download and use if you download the home edition).... 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Stealth
Punch Card
Views: 2,038
Message 3 of 8

Harley,

it looks more like  malware   infection that anything else. Download and install Malwarebytes and  Superantispyware (free). Update and scan both of them.  The reason as to why you would want to scan with both is what one finds.... the other one doesn't and viceversa. I deal with lots of infected pc's.... so when it comes to malware and trojans, these two scanners do the trick.. BTW, you can uninstall them both after you're done.

Retired Guru
Views: 2,037
Message 4 of 8

Hi harley7575,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum.

lead_org is exactly right: do not trust any email from an unknown party. And never run software attachments or click on links contained in such emails.

Please see articles on:

These things don't just affect you and your computer, either: they're a plague on the 'net:

As lead_org points out, it's an excellent idea to run antivirus software. These days there are many all-in-one security software packages that roll in firewall and intrusion prevention as well.

Some sites that compare antivirus software:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

http://www.av-test.org/

Some sites that compare firewalls:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/

http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm

I've been using and recommending Norton Internet Security for the last year or so and AFAICT it's been working well. Other choices could be equally good.

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy
Stealth
Punch Card
Views: 2,019
Message 5 of 8

Frank,

Matousec's testing of firewalls is strickly based on Leak tests. Firewall vendors that do not pay him for the testing results are usualy not recommended by him and get a low score.

Retired Guru
Views: 2,013
Message 6 of 8

Hi Stealth,

Thanks for the info -- all too common to receive biased recommendations. Are there other comparison sites that you'd recommend?

Thanks,

Frank

---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Stealth
Punch Card
Views: 1,992
Message 7 of 8

Hi Frank,

The best places to obtain  true and unbiased opinions are from very experienced users.   There are some  individuals that really know their security when it comes to Firewalls. Not sure if this is a conflict of interest, however, here is the link:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Check out the threads made by Stem.... and a few others.

Best Regards

Retired Guru
Views: 1,969
Message 8 of 8

Stealth, thanks for the link to that very well-written article about firewalls. Are you the author?

I was prompted to dig out the following from my hoary old Unix System Administration Handbook (Nemeth et al.):

"Packet filtering [firewalls] should not be your primary means of defense against intruders. It's only appropriate as a supplemental security measure. The use of packet filters... often provides a false sense of security; if a filter lulls you into relaxing other safeguards, it will have a negative effect on the security of your site... [You can end up] building a structure that has a hard crunchy outside and a soft chewy center. On the Internet, it doesn't take many licks to get to the center of that bonbon."

I love those last two sentences!

Now, Nemeth and company were talking about Unix servers connected directly to the Net. Most PCs do not run server software, and typically sit behind a NAT box, both of which make them less susceptible to attack.

I suppose there are several points I want to make:

• Security is hard.
  • Firewalls are just one component of security--insufficient in themselves.
  • Antivirus and Intrusion Detection ("Protection" if we're feeling optimistic) are other components.
  • Keeping your operating system and programs (especially those that make Internet connections--which these days is all of them) updated is very important.
  • The most important component is awareness: of threats, of what your machine is doing, and of human nature. (See social engineering). All of these things are complex (see first point).

At one extreme, you can drive yourself crazy trying for the impossible -- perfect security.

At the other extreme (far too common), you can be oblivious to the threats facing you and your machine, and of the menace that your compromised machine poses to others.

As with so many other things, the sane and responsible thing to do is to follow the middle path: Make a reasonable effort to cover the bases of the most common security threats, and get on with your life.

The need to cover multiple evolving security bases is the driving force behind the integrated security software packages. Ideally you could install one of those, leave it on default settings, download periodic updates (to virus definitions, etc.) and consider yourself pretty well covered. You know you're not immune, but you're not a sitting duck, either. And you stay aware to threats arriving in your email inbox. Smiley Wink

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors