Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 73 (92,252 Views)

Potentially Unwanted Program - Superfish VisualDiscovery

[ Edited ]

Ok, I will take a look at ESET. Thanks

Yes, VisualDiscovery is part of the bundled software in my lenovo laptop..

It is from a developer called Superfish.

More info here:

http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/visualdiscovery-exe

[Moderator note: Moved from another discussion and title changed to conform to new topic.]

Community Moderator
Message 2 of 73 (92,246 Views)

Potentially Unwanted Program

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the information about VisualDiscovery. Feel free to post on this forum if you encounter other Potentially Unwanted Applications that you would like to remove.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 73 (92,217 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK.
Thank you again for your help!

Community Moderator
Message 4 of 73 (92,210 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're welcome, Daniel. Smiley Happy

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

SpywareHammer

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 73 (92,157 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello I spent whole day for discovery websockets problem on my new lenovo. Main issue - websockets not work in any browser launched on new laptop (Lenovo Y50-70) but work on other PC with similar software installed (for example this page: http://www.websocket.org/echo.html ). I have installed ProcessMonitor application and found VisualDiscovery.exe handle all traffic for WEB browsers. When I have stoped VisualDiscovery system service - all WEB application start work properly. 
I have uninstall C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\VisualDiscovery\  from my laptop and now all work fine.

But I am verry unhappy about this application, and can't found any description about it in the net and lenovo documentation. Why lenovo install it ? And which service provide this application ? Where I can get necessary info about it ?

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 73 (91,659 Views)

[ Edited ]

I can confirm to alexcn's claim.

Visual discovery messed up my websocket.

before, i always faced websocket received packet failed test.

After uninstalling VisualDiscovery, websockets worked fine.

Lenovo needs to get rid of this VisualDiscovery. I spent 4 days trying to figure out this.

I'm a new Yoga 2 13 owner.

Community Moderator
Message 7 of 73 (91,637 Views)

Re: Potentially Unwanted Program

alexcn, sorry I missed your earlier question.

If you do not find VisualDiscovery useful, it can be uninstalled via the Control Panel's list of Programs, or disabled. Remember to reboot afterward.
Video: How to Disable VisualDiscovery

SpywareHammer

Paper Tape
Message 8 of 73 (91,379 Views)

Hi all

this is more serious than just a simple socket messup.

Superfish Inc aka VisualDiscovery aka Similarproducts application will hijack ALL your secure webconnections (SSL/TLS) by using self signed root certificate authority, making it look legitimate to the browser

root.png

Here's an example of my connection to a bank, which looked OK to browser but certificate obviously has been tampered with allowing Superfish to collect all data unecrypted! 

bank.png

A bluntant man-in-the-middle attack malware breaking any privacy laws.

I have requested return of the laptop and refund as I find it unbelievable that manufacturer as Lenovo would facilitate such applications pre-bundled with new laptops.

Former Administrator
Message 9 of 73 (68,402 Views)

[ Edited ]

Zibartsk,

Thank you for your detailed feedback on this.  Lenovo has investigated and taken action in this matter.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish

Best regards,

Mark

(edit - updated to link to official Lenovo advisory on superfish and instructions for removal of the application and certificates)

What's DOS?
Message 10 of 73 (65,014 Views)

[ Edited ]

My first laptop was a Lenovo, I got it years ago. Thanks to Lenovo adding extremely shady MALWARE to their computers, I will never buy another Lenovo computer. I will also actively advise my friends in person and through social media to never buy Lenovo

Moderator note: Comment removed which did not comply with the Forum Rules