Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emmjay
WWAN
Views: 3,314
Message 1 of 6

Stolen laptop security protection

I was reading about the Intel anti-theft hardware solution that implements a 'poison pill'  which  renders a PC unusable to the theif if the laptop is ever stolen.  The PC can not be booted. I was wondering if my X200 which is Intel based has this feature built in ... where would I find this out and is there a procedure I am supposed to follow to get it setup?  Does it replace the use of a BIOS password ... though not one of my favourite places to hang out.   I have password protection on my windows accounts but I guess this can be easily thwarted by a knowlegable theif with access to sophisticated utilities.

I looked at some software solutions, like Prey but they require the theif to open up an internet connection for the PC to call home ... it is then locked by a service organization. However, I would assume that this would allow the theif ample time to access the PC and look for personal info (maybe passwords, financial & banking info, account IDs, product keys, credit card info etc.)  so this seems not as secure as a hardware implementation.  I assume the private info is a lot more valuable to the theif than the hardware.

Just another level of security that I would like to know a bit more about.  A little different to AV and FWs, but I think worthwhile pursuing. Anybody using this level of security?

T23: 2647-8RU, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
A61E: 6418-12U, W7/Pro 64
X200: 7454-CTO, W7/Pro 32

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,303
Message 2 of 6

Re: Stolen laptop security protection

I am not sure if the X200 came with the second generation Vpro CPU.The one which I used was a Vpro but not from the second generation.Try using any of Intel's tools (Processor diagnostics) If your CPU has the AT flag enabled you will know about it

FYI : Intel says only second generation core i series and Vpro come with this technology
emmjay
WWAN
Views: 3,298
Message 3 of 6

Tnx Vjay for that information.  Having read your response I noticed  a sticker on my X200  'Intel Centrino vPro Inside' . Wow what a pleasant surprise.  

So does that mean the anti-theft feature is enabled by default?  Anyway for me to query it?    I checked out the Intel website but I can not find much more than a description of the feature so I have no idea what to do if my laptop were ever stolen. Do I call Lenovo or Intel?    Lenovo knows that I am the owner (original buyer) but the X200 is no longer under  warranty.  Does this matter? 

The most obvious question is ' how does the poison pill get administered and by whom'.  Don't suppose you know?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,294
Message 4 of 6

Here are a list of Lenovo systems using the kill pill, the X200 is not on the list

http://antitheft.intel.com/find-a-laptop.aspx
emmjay
WWAN
Views: 3,288
Message 5 of 6

Tnx Vjay. I opened the link.

Obviously this sticker on the X200 means nothing other than false advertising.  What a rip off. 

phil5
Token Ring
Views: 3,268
Message 6 of 6

Its not a rip off. Its simply not implemented in that generation of vpro, and intel never pretended that it was.

If you want real data security, the best solution is encryption. You can choose either hardware-based encryption, which requires the purchase of a new hard drive, vs software-based encryption eg. windows bitlocker, truecrypt etc. Hardware encryption will most likely be faster and require less cpu cycles than software encryption.

Windows/bios/admin/hdd passwords do not encrypt your data, they simply prevent/deter an intruder from booting your machine.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals