Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 9 (465 Views)

T420 blocked with a pop-up

[ Edited ]

Hello, fellas! 
I've just recently bought used Lenovo ThinkPad T420 4180w4b, and faced a problem I can't resolve.
After fresh Windows 7 installation and a couple of re-starts after drivers installation I've started to receive a pop-up once system boots. It's an Internet explorer window that opens full-screen and doesn't let me to perform any actions. Pop-up says: "This machine is not in compliance with Under Armour security standards. Please contact the Global Service Desk at +1 ***-***-**** to enable your machine"
I've managed to trace the file to: c:/program data/wcttempoff.html
Neither Kaspersky rescue disk nor dr.web bootable AV provided me with no help. 
Google search isn't helpfull as well. 
Fresh OS re-installation from another source using safe-only soft and driver sources not fixing problem as well. Pop-up reeturns in a couple of re-boots.
Any help appreciated. 
Regards, 
Mike.

Moderator note: post moved to Security and Malware for (hopefully) increased visibility to members who may be able to help.

Community Moderator
Message 2 of 9 (446 Views)

Re: T420 blocked with a pop-up

Can you wipe the disk before reinstalling?  I like active kill disk - free addition.  You can create a bootable CD

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 9 (436 Views)

Thank you for your answer!
Isn't disk formatting during the windows installation reliable enough? 

P.S. i've been digging around and noticed that Computrace by Absolute technology is enabled. Could it lead to a pop-up block I'm facing? 

Community Moderator
Message 4 of 9 (413 Views)

computrace won't cause that.  Where did the install disks come from?

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community Moderator
Message 5 of 9 (394 Views)

Hello,

It sounds like you've purchased a used computer that belonged to Under Armor.

Have you tried calling the number displayed on the screen and asking them to remotely deactivate the security software?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 360 (?-?)

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 9 (378 Views)

Well, I've been installing Windows 7 using original Microsoft Windows installation disk. 
And also tried to install Windows 10 using bootable flash drive. It was also created using official Microsoft tools. 
I've tried to delete the files c:/program data/wcttempoff.html and c:/program data/wcttemp.html while booted with Kaspersky Rescue Disk, but this led to Red Screen saying "your computer is locked please contact your administrator" on system boot.

Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 9 (374 Views)

[ Edited ]

Aryeh, yeah, I am also assuming that that's the cause of active Anti-theft protection. Because the risk of laptop getting infected with some kind of a virus is extremely low, and no results of anti-virus scan with multiple tools. It would aso explain why it appears out of thin air after fresh OS installation. As far as I understood, it is rooted into BIOS with "disable" option blocked, so only service providers can swithch it off.

No, I didn't call them. Unfortunately, it would cost me quite a coin. I'm actually waiting 9 AM EDT when Under Armour Live chat goes live) Wanna confirm that this number is or was connected to their company. 

I have written to the support of the Absolute technology as well, in order to disable the protection. They answered that it will be possible if the laptop wasn't stolen. I provided 'em with serial number so they could check its status. Still waiting for response.

Dont know what to expect if it was a corporate laptop of Under Armour that was stolen and then sold to me. Just hoping that in such a case it will be possible to ask them to cancel Absolute technology subscription for this laptop. 

Community Moderator
Message 8 of 9 (231 Views)

Hi webprisoner,

I am curious if you received replies from Absolute and Under Armour. Were they able to offer any suggestions?

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Fanfold Paper
Message 9 of 9 (219 Views)

Hi. 
Yeah, it took some time to finally deal with this situation. I've been communicating with Absolute technology for some time. In the end they've shared with me a contact from Under Armour, so I could negotiate with them regarding this laptop (as far as it was still UnderArmour property). I was ready to send the laptop back to them if the would be insisting, but they told it wasn't worth returning.  I've described the situation to them and after some time (I'm assumign they were investigating) I've got a reply that they will unlock the PC, and shared instructions with me how to do this.

P.S. for those who face the same issue, but can't achieve the same result in negotiations on laptop unlocking, there is a way-around that blocking pop-up. once the fresh OS is installed, make sure not to connect to the internet. 
After system is booted, go ahead to the Windows/system32   and/or windows/syswow64. 
find files rpcnet.exe, rpcnet.dll, rpcnetp.exe, rpcnetp.dll. delete them. after that, with a notepad, create 4 empty documents, name them as those files that were deleted, apply read only, move them to the folder files were deleted from (I've also changed all the rights to "deny" for all users). 
After this, feel free to connect to web, install drivers, and updates. Pop-up won't bother You.