cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rllenovo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,037
Message 1 of 4

Virus 'flagged' file in Windows 7 Bios Update...HELP !!

I just finished updating some Windows 7 Bios files....one of the files: C:\PROGRAM FILES\LENOVO\SYSTEM UPDATE\UNCSERVER.EXE" was flagged as Malware by my AVG Virus program and I put it in the Virus Vault.

Then the installation of that update showed it couldn't find that flagged file and so cancelled that update.

I continued on with the other updates and installed them, BUT I wonder if that file is really Malware and whether to restore it and try that update again.

I don't want to infect my computer with a virus, but I wonder if a Windows Update would contain a contaminated file...

HELP !!!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,032
Message 2 of 4

Re: Virus 'flagged' file in Windows 7 Bios Update...HELP !!

It might be a false positive..Have you tried a different AV?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,024
Message 3 of 4

I agree. That sounds like a FP.   Many of us stopped recommending AVG a while ago.Some related info HERE.

As mentioned above it might be advisable to remove AVG and install another AV. If you need help removing AVG or need suggestions for another free AV, let us know.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,022
Message 4 of 4

Hello,

You did not say what version of the signature database is being used by your antivirus software, or the name of the threat it detected, so it is difficult to tell for certain, but I uploaded the UNCSERVER.EXE file from my ThinkPad W510 to VirusTotal, a multi-engine virus scanning service, and it reported the file as being clean.  Report here.

I suspect it is a false positive alarm, but you should check with your antivirus vendor's own technical support department to confirm.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors