cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rondi7
Punch Card
Views: 2,216
Message 1 of 5

Why are so many users experiencing a bricked computer after recent Bios update.

We have  X220 and T450 laptops. I came to this forum to see what problems folks have after installing the Spectre and Meltdown attacks  bios updates BEFORE I installed the updates. There are folks posting in the X & T foums who are bricked. One person said his X1 was at a Lenovo repair facility who could not fix it and it required a board replacemnt at the owners expense  $,xxx.

Are these problems a result of:

1. inadequate testing by Levnovo & Intel (Intel produces the cpu code to fix it, Lenovo adds their unique code for the computer model.)

2. Incorrect instructions of how to install the update

3. User not following the instructions to update

4. Incorrect drivers which work with older bios, but not the update

I'm sure there are many more reasons, but I'm inclined to not update Bios until there are documented Spectre and Meltdown attacks, and I feel I can safely install the new code.

I'd like to see replies from those who have bricked computers on how they got them fixed, and of course opinions.

tia

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,174
Message 2 of 5

Re: Why are so many users experiencing a bricked computer after recent Bios update.

Hello,

I looked through 3-4 screens worth of messages in both the ThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops and the ThinkPad: X Series Laptops sections each and did not see any messages about X220 or T450 laptops being bricked, and even a search in each forum for "brick" didn't show anything noteworthy for 2018.

I've updated firmware in numerous ThinkPads that I personally own as well as use at work without issue, but even then, a few tens of ThinkPads isn't a statistically valid sample, just anecdotal data.

Lenovo is taking time to qualify firmware updates, which is why if you look at the LEN-18282 security advisory you'll see that it has been revised 37 times so far as new firmware is validated (and will likely be revised a lot more times in the future as additional updates are qualified).

The best suggestion I have is that if you're not comfortable following the instructions to update the firmware, that you call Lenovo's support department directly and ask one of their technicians to walk you through the process over the phone, as well as answer any questions about best practices for firmware updates, tips and tricks they might have, and so forth.

In the United States, the number for Lenovo ThinkPad support is +1 (800) 426-7378.  If you need the number for a different country, you can look it up at https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/uu/en/supportphonelist.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

rondi7
Punch Card
Views: 2,156
Message 3 of 5

Re: Why are so many users experiencing a bricked computer after recent Bios update.

Thanks for the reply.

I probably should have added "and so many update problems", but the title was not long enough. And I did not mean to imply the bricked putrs were only x220 & T450--those are the ones we have. My search was not "bricked", but Bios.

One reason the list is being revised soooo  many times is because Intel was not releasing their firmware package for older processors until recently. Originally they said they would not support Gen 2 & 3 for the ME fix. So it is "nice" of them to get these releases out. Then of course--the Del's, HP's & Lenovo's of the world must add their part to the Intel package and test it.

Some examples of what I was referring to:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/BIOS-v2-48-1-12-update-on-T440p/td-p/402...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Lenovo-X1-Carbon-3rd-Generation-freezing-mome...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Black-screen-after-bios-update-X1-Carbone-Gen...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/ThinkPad-X280-After-BIOS-update-notebook-won-...

One bricked computer is enough to make me think twice about updating. As you mention, the Bios updated are probably going thru multiple updates until they get it  correct. I have downloaded both x220 & T450 updates, but they are deleted---for now.

Thanks for the Lenovo support info,

Ron

brocshad
What's DOS?
Views: 1,996
Message 4 of 5

I got the message that critical updates are needed on my ThinkPad S5 Yoga 15. I followed all the proper prompts but when it updated the pci-e firmware, after reboot, the computer will not recognize the hard drive and therefore I cannot boot into Windows. I was able to reset the bios back to factory and it allowed me to boot into windows but I still get the popup telling me a critical firmware update is needed. You are not wrong in thinking this. I worked IT for many years and am not a noob when it comes to things like this. This is a problem,

simoncpu
What's DOS?
Views: 1,936
Message 5 of 5

My office laptop (Thinkpad P51) has been bricked as well. Just adding to the growing list of anecdotal evidence...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals