Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shawnCT
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,061
Message 1 of 5

X220 Windows Automatic Updates Keep Disabling

We have 2 new Thinkpad X220's, both running Win 7 Pro, and they both have this same problem.  We have Windows Update set to 'Install Updates Automatically'.  Every 30 minutes or so, that setting gets disabled to 'Never Check for Updates'.

I've run scans for malware and viruses but both systems appear to be clean.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

shawnCT
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,026
Message 2 of 5

Re: X220 Windows Automatic Updates Keep Disabling

Still hoping to find a solution...thanks!
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,023
Message 3 of 5

Hi ShawnCT!

How are you alerted to the fact that Automatic Updates are disabled? Is there an error message?

Have you tried more than one malware removal program and/or scanned in safe mode? Check here for suggestions. malwarebytes is a good example.

This does sound like malware so I'm going to move this thread to that board - let's see how it goes.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
shawnCT
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,019
Message 4 of 5

I get notified by the Windows Security Action Center alert - that little white flag down in the task bar tray, right next to the battery icon, gets a red X on it and an alert message pops up that I should install updates automatically.

Aside from the security scans we've run, the other reason I didnt think this was malware was because it was happening on both of our new X220's.
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,010
Message 5 of 5

If you don't think its a being caused by malware,try re-installing Windows update agent. (or) you can use the built in Diagnostics of Windows 7 to resolve your issue.

Go to Control Panel--> System and Security--> Troubleshoot common computer problems(Under Action center) -->Fix problem with Windows update.

The agent may figure out what went wrong and may give you suggestions or reslve your issue. I hope this heps Smiley Wink

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors