Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JOS19
What's DOS?
Views: 290
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Chassis Controller Switch Over

Hi All,

I been having a high ping and unable to access to my chassis recently. When I finally able to see the page, after I logged in and I seeing this page which mentioned is accessing standby management controller.

In the message, it says that it will be restarting the controllers and all existing network will be temporarily lost. Based on the text, will it impact any network connectivity for the blades? Is it the network restart is impacting the CMM / IMM network only?

Regards

J

Lenovo Employee naoym
Lenovo Employee
Views: 240
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Chassis Controller Switch Over

Hello, JOS19.

Thank you for your comment on the forum.

CMM switchover action disconnect connection between your client and CMM, and connection between CMM - IMM(Node) / switch module. These are Management network, and no impact for Node actual Data connection.

For your reference, see below PDF page 10.

Lenovo Flex System Products and Technology

https://lenovopress.com/sg248255-lenovo-flex-system-products-and-technology

Blue line inside Flex Chassis are diconnected by CMM switchoer/restart.

Chassis network.jpg

Lenovo Employee naoym
Lenovo Employee
Views: 225
Message 3 of 6

*this is for your information  about CMM connection,

You are accessing original CMM IP address and see "Standby Management Module" message.

I think your CMM is configured "Advanced Failover" and each CMMs have different IP.

After the back to original CMM as primary, suggest to check [Mgt Module Management] => [Properties] then see [Advanced Failover] tab.

by default, 192.168.70.99 is assigned as stanby Module IP when enable this function like below. or any actual IP address is assigned. If original CMM is become standby, you can access to this IP then can work on current active CMM.

Advanced_Failover.jpg

Thanks for your reference.

JOS19
What's DOS?
Views: 218
Message 4 of 6

Hi Naoym,

My configuration did not configure any advanced failover.

I think we prefer both management controller has its own IP. So if I want to configure this way, it's mean both controllers will be active-active, then I will have to configure advanced failover to put second IP as you mentioned.

Is that mean I can use either controller to access and perform changes?
Lenovo Employee naoym
Lenovo Employee
Views: 212
Message 5 of 6

Hi, JOS19,

From Flex chassis design, CMM active/active is not functional. Though having 2 IPs, active/standby is expected behavior.

By default, Chassis have only 1 IP for CMM, and it flow between 2 CMMs. only Active CMM have access IP.
On the other hands, when enable Advanced Failover, 2 CMMs have each IP. but active(able to control chassis fucntion) CMM is only 1 at one point.

For example,  CMM1 have 192.168.70.100 and CMM2 have 192.168.70.99, and CMM1 is active. You can control all chassis function by CMM1, and if you are accessing to CMM2 192.168.70.99, message "This is standby Managemnt module" appeared.
If CMM switchover happen then CMM2 is become active, when you access to 192.168.70.99, you can contol all chassis function at there. But if access to 192.168.70.100 at this point, you see "This is Standby Management module".

from my experience, customer who configure Advanced failover and assign 2 IP address on each chassis  expect to access standby IP when active CMM IP is not able to connect but doesn't failover.
In case of such situation, customer access to standby IP by different address and force switchover by "switchover" button.

This is what Advanced failover expected.
Thank you.

Highlighted
JOS19
What's DOS?
Views: 207
Message 6 of 6

Thank you for your reply! It cleared my doubt!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals