Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tigrrrr
Punch Card
Views: 418
Message 41 of 78

Re: Making PSTN Phone Calls with the Smart Display

I had the same problem with my 10-inch Lenovo Smart Display.  That is, video calls could be made but not audio-only calls.  As you described, an audio-only call would start but then stop after a few seconds.

In an online vidio demo of the 10-inch Lenovo Smart Display, I saw and heard the demonstrator ask Google Assistant to call someone several times.  Each time, the Assistant asked if the call was to be video or audio only.  The demonstrator then specified the type of call, and the call was placed and completed successfully.  My Smart Display's Assistant never asked me for the type of call.

So, I called Lenovo, and a tech told me the failure to make audio-only calls was a known problem.  He further said the problem was fixable but only at the Lenovo factory.  Then, he told me to return my Smart Display to the store where I bought it and get a replacement unit.  He said the new Smart Display would not have the audio-only calling problem.  So, I returned my Smart Display and am waiting for a new display to be shipped to me because the store didn't have any in stock.

Bluescat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 414
Message 42 of 78

You were badly mislead.

See my earlier posts.  This IS NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM.  The "Lenovo factory" doesn't need to fix anything, and no, your replacement unit will fail the same way.  It was a software bug introduced in the version 3-->4 update.  Google will have to fix the bug and then it will push the fix out automatically to all devices.

Tigrrrr
Punch Card
Views: 396
Message 43 of 78

You're probably right, but the troops need to know what to expect when they call Lenovo about the calling issue.  And, who knows, maybe the tech got it right this time -- even accidentally.  If a new 10-inch Smart Display arrives with the same problem, I'll be able to talk with first-hand knowledge about the issue.  I've already learnedi it's worthless to tell a Google Home tech about Lenovo Smart Display issues.  They don't even want to talk about Lenovo Smat Displays or similar divices.  If you write about Lenovo issues, the Google Home techs won't read it but instead respond by saying call Lenovo and including the phone number.  One tech even tried to convence me the Google Hub was the best of the smart displays.  So, we're left to cope with Lenovo if we want help with our Lenovo Smart Displays.  The first Lenovo tech I spoke with had never heard of a Smart Display.  The seond tech I spoke with kept me on hold for many, many minutes while he confired with his associates and supervision.  He also said he was using a simulator to help solve my problem but to no avail.  Finally, he said he would reseaarch the issue and get back to me, but he hasn't so far.  And, of course, you know what the last tech told me.  Lenovo appears to be completely unprepared to provide support for their Smart Displays.  Along those lines, the written material Lenovo provides doesn't square with the current Google Home app and is, therefore, mostly worthless.  That said, the 10-inch Lenovo Smart Display seems to be a really nice device -- if it only worked as advertised.

Of course, there's still the issue as to whether or not most people need any of the smart displays.  I mean all of the things a smart display can do can already be done with other smart devices and assciated equipment.  In fact, my old $200 Lenovo smartphone running Android 7.0 is really robust compared to the smart speakers and screens for sale.  Why must the smart displays be so limited?

Bluescat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 391
Message 44 of 78

I am not "probably right".  I am right, period.

The function worked fine on the version 3 firmware.  It broke when the devices were updated to version 4 firmware.  I have two of them.  Both worked on version 3, and broke on version 4.  You don't have to believe me; just read the entire thread.  This has absolutely nothing to do with the hardware.  Google will fix the bug; it's one of the features always mentioned in any of the advertising for the products; it is not going away.

If you want to complain about tech support, that's for another thread.

sccprtg
Paper Tape
Views: 587
Message 45 of 78

I tend to agree with bluescat, hard to imagine in todays world sending anything back to a factory for a fix unless it is a laptop or similar etc.... I think I am going to contact Lenovo support and see what story they have to share with me. I will report my interactions with them. I will say I have been testing/playing with this Smart Display the last few days and I am quite impressed with the "Hey Google" accuracy for 99% of what I request. Sound quality is fantastic as well as screen clarity. The video calls I have done are outstanding especially putting the 10" in the portrait stance. A few things are frustrating since I use IOS phones and not Android but still all workable.

Thanks!

hads
Paper Tape
Views: 581
Message 46 of 78

Does anyone have any idea when this will be fixed?  I just got my Smart Display yesterday and it immediately did an update to the firmware.  I was pleased with the device, until I asked it to make a call.  Same experience as everyone.  Looked like it was dialing, then just hung up.

Seems from all the comments on this thread that the problem is well over 2 weeks old.  Is there a way from either Lenovo or Google to find out if this is on a priority to be fixed?   Thanks ...

JWinston
What's DOS?
Views: 567
Message 47 of 78

Re: Assistant "calls on mobile" doesn't work from smart display

Never worked.
seeuthen
Paper Tape
Views: 522
Message 48 of 78

Re: Assistant "calls on mobile" doesn't work from smart display

I guess we are all waiting for the fix. I setup my smart display yesterday and it updated the software as it booted up. The voice calling does not work on my unit as well.

Highlighted
jjacq13
Paper Tape
Views: 635
Message 49 of 78

Re: Smart Display no longer makes calls after recent update

I bought this unit mainly as a video phone, and although I do like many of the other features of the display, I am disappointed that there hasn't been a resolution (at least for me) from Lenovo. I was hoping to buy two more displays for other family households so that we could video chat, but now I am considering returning mine. At least Lenovo could offer some indication as to where they stand in resolving the problem.
Tigrrrr
Punch Card
Views: 439
Message 50 of 78

OK, I received and installed a replacement 10-inch Lenovo Smart Display and then evaluated it.  There is absolutely no change in operation between my first and second Smart Displays.  The audio begins low and after a couple seconds ramps up to the selected level.  The Smart Display can make video calls but not audio-only calls.  Attempts to make an audio-only call result in a very brief display of call information before the call attempt fails completely.  So far as I have been able to determine, all other features of the Smart Display work as advertised.

After repeated attempts to contact Lenovo Support by phone, including one dropped call, I finally was able to speak with a Smart Display tech this morning.  She told me both defects (low start volume and no audio-only calls) are known by Lenovo and work to correct them is in progress.  She further stated both problems are software problems, and the software of existing Smart Displays will be updated when a suitable update has been created.  She further stated the update date is not currently known.

As an aside, installing my replacement Smart Display was not without problems.  The installation began normally and included a software update that took a long time.  Eventually, the display on my smartphone reported an unknown problem had occurred, and no further installation information was provided.  Finally, the software update finished successfully or failed.  Not knowing what was going on for sure, I did a factory reset, which resulted in a smooth installation without any further software updating.  So, I guess the update was successfully installed during the first installation attempt.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors