cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drdjg
Paper Tape
Views: 3,608
Message 1 of 4

Unable to configure RAID 5 or 10 on Lenovo RD210 Rack Mounted server running Server 2012 r2

I have a nice Lenovo Rack Mounting server, that would be a great machine to use in my office for testing serve apps out. I have 5 - 500 GB Hard drives. The first two are mirrored Raid 1 and working fine. The last 3 I was going to setup in a Raid 5 or 10. The problem is I cannot find a way for the hardware to recognize these 3 additional hard drives.

I have a software program  AVago MegaRaid Storage Manager 16.02 that sees the drives are there but show as Foreign Unconfigured. Good.

Is there any software out there that will let me gain access to these drives, so I can configure them in a Raid configuration?  I googled and searched, but nothing seems to be working. The Controller is LSI-01141 (B),  Lenovo FRU 43W4297, MR SAS 8708E, L3-01141-02D

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Lenovo Employee IrfanVuap
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,548
Message 2 of 4

Re: Unable to configure RAID 5 or 10 on Lenovo RD210 Rack Mounted server running Server 2012 r2

Hello drdjg,

For future issues on this Machine Type, please open a thread on the ThinkServer Rack Mounted section of this forum. You might find some questions already answered and also can find support for this type of server.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkServer-Rack-Mounted/bd-p/se02_eg

To answer your issue, found that FRU# 43W4297  is MR10i controller from LSI, which is  an older controller, but still can be managed either by storcli or MegaRaid Storage Manager. In principle it is the same application which you are using, but this is Lenovo signed and optimized for this products.

MegaRaid Storage Manager and storcli can be downloaded from Lenovo support page under the M/T or same from IBM fix central page under M/T 

Seeing the drives in 'Unconfigured / Good (foreign)' status means that they are fully recongized but contains a previous config. You will need to clear the foreign config first and then use them in the new RAID5 config. Deleting the config just deletes the DDF part of the HDD while data part still stays.
The config can be deleted from MegaRaid Storage Manager using this steps:
1) Right click on controller "scan foreign configuration"
2) Clear: Remove logical configuration from all foreign drives.    - the current one will stay, only foreign will be cleared
3) confirm:
4) Right click on the hard drive and select "Replace missing drive". Once selected choose the correct Drive Group and click "OK" button.
5) Right click on the hard disk and select "Start Rebuild"

After this you can setup your new RAID 5/10 config

Hope this was helpful for fixing the issue you are encountering.

All the best,
Irfan

drdjg
Paper Tape
Views: 3,538
Message 3 of 4

Re: Unable to configure RAID 5 or 10 on Lenovo RD210 Rack Mounted server running Server 2012 r2

Great thanks for the feedback! It is up and running.

Lenovo Employee IrfanVuap
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,525
Message 4 of 4

Glad i was able to help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals