Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seanka79
Token Ring
Views: 9,107
Message 1 of 11

BOMC not Creating ISO

Hello All,

I am attempting to create a Bootable ISO using the Lenovo XClarity Essentials Bootable Media Creator v.11.0. The process works until the very end, when it fails with the message:

Error(s) occurs while creating bootable media!

Error message: Media creation error: Failed to initialize ServerGuide media creator.maybe caused by space shortage

The grammatical errors are word for word from the error. This message occurs on two separate machines. Is there something I am doing wrong with respect to setting this up to create the ISO?

Sean

errorBomc.JPG

Lenovo Employee RyanTsai
Lenovo Employee
Views: 9,081
Message 2 of 11

Re: BOMC not Creating ISO

Hi seanka79

BoMC will download the necessary from internet, and it will storage the files at the target directory you assigned.

Then it will need extra space to create ISO file. Base on your screenshot, I think the package download process is fine, but when BoMC create the ISO, there is no enough space. And its depends how many machine type you choose, more the MT you choose, more disk space it may need.

Could you please check is there enough the disk space for those operation?

1.png

Please feel free to leave your comment, thank you for support Lenovo
seanka79
Token Ring
Views: 9,067
Message 3 of 11

Hi RyanTsai,

Oh yes, that was the first thing I checked. The first computer I ran it on, there was 479 GB free... the second one, 30 GB free. If it takes more than that to build a 9.x GB (MAX) ISO file, there is something seriously wrong with this process. haha.

Still no luck. I even pulled the firmware/driver piece out of the build, with the hopes of simply creating a Deployment CD with no luck.

Sean

Lenovo Employee RyanTsai
Lenovo Employee
Views: 9,053
Message 4 of 11

This is very weird thing. I tested one several laptop, and everything goes well.

Would you mind to use another computer like Windows 10 or Windows 7 for this operation.

BTW, if you want to create a deployment CD, you need to install Windows Automated Installation Kit or Assessment and Deployment Kit first. BoMC will pop out the following message.

1.png

Please feel free to leave your comment, thank you for support Lenovo
Highlighted
seanka79
Token Ring
Views: 9,063
Message 5 of 11

Hi Ryan,

Thanks again for your offer of help.

So, for those who end up on this thread in the future. I believe I figured out what it is. After reading through the "Lenovo Bootable Media Creator Installation and User's Guide," found here: https://download.lenovo.com/servers_pdf/bomc_bk_final_11.0.pdf, I discovered under Chapter 5 "Troubleshooting and Support, that there is a bug which states:

Deployment media creation fails when the path to the working directory is too long
When creating a Lenovo ServerGuide Setup and Installation CD using the Microsoft Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7 (AIK 2.0) or the Microsoft OEM Pre-installation Kit 2.0, the path to the specified workingdir must be less than 76 characters

The BOMC executable I was running was under "T:\ISO\BOMC\Lenovo XClarity Essentials BOMC V11\workingdir," so I moved it to C:\TEMP and it worked without issues.

I then thought, well, that path technically is not 76 characters long so it should have worked. So, I pulled the spaces out of the "Lenovo XClarity Essentials BOMC V11" folder and sure enough... it worked!

So, lesson of the day: if you are going to use the Lenovo XClarity Essentials BOMC V11, not only do you need to make the workingdir path less than 76 characters but also do not put any spaces in the path to the workingdir nor the lnvgy_utl_bomc_11.0_windows_i386.exe.

Sean

Rick_FMH
What's DOS?
Views: 7,452
Message 6 of 11

I get the message "Copying tools for bootable iso creation - 16.66% complete... and then it fails everytime.   Regardless of the path or file name.   I even tried c:\bootable.iso and still failed.   Have you seen this before?   Very frustrating to say the least.  Since these servers are going to be VMWare hosts I don't have the option to simply run the update in Windows :-/

Thanks Rick.

Rick_FMH
What's DOS?
Views: 7,449
Message 7 of 11

I figured it out.  No where in the image destination path can there be any spaces.   Once I changed the location of the "working directory" to c:\LenovoBOMC\working and then the file location to c:\boot.iso it worked fine.   I also tested this with placing the ISO in the same directory as the working directory and that too worked (c:\LenovoBOMC\working\bootable.iso).

What a pain!   LOL

aziz_H
Paper Tape
Views: 6,940
Message 8 of 11

Hi Sean, 

i tried to creare same with Path D:\FW 3650\IMM Still i am gettign same error

Rick_FMH
What's DOS?
Views: 6,923
Message 9 of 11

You still have spaces in your path.   Remove the spaces and you should be fine.

pschang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,747
Message 10 of 11

FYI.

I used E:\FW_Update as directory and it failed to create iso at the very last step. After I changed to E:\BOMC, it worked.

lnvgy_utl_lxce_bomc01r-11.4.0_windows_i386

--
Po Shan Chang

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

ALERT

Windows 2016 Server November Update
Issue on System x M5 and X6
Go to details