Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NimalOne
Fanfold Paper
Views: 355
Message 1 of 11

Failure Predicted warning via IMM2 (x3650 M4) for a new drive

Recently one of our server (x3650 M4) reported that raid was degraded. Upon further investigation, discovered that 1 of the drives (Drive 0) had failed. 

So we ordered a replacement drive from our distributors and swapped out the faulty one. RAID rebuilt successfully within a few days, but then a new health warning started showing up on IMM2:

Failure Predicted on Drive 0 for array System x3650 M4. 

I've restarted server and IMM, but warning message persists. 

My questions are below:

1. I'm not sure how i can run disk diagnostics on this drive. I don't see any option through IMM or through OS. Any thoughts?
  2. If the drive itself is not faulty, could this error message because be caused by anything else? 

Really appreciate some advice. Thanks guys

Lenovo Employee Dannyhsueh
Lenovo Employee
Views: 327
Message 2 of 11

Re: Failure Predicted warning via IMM2 (x3650 M4) for a new drive

Hi Sir,

You can try to use IBM Dynamic System Analysis (DSA) for system information collection. The DSA collects and analyzes system information to aid in diagnosing system problems. Please refer to the How to collect service logs on a local system using Dynamic System Analysis (DSA) Preboot Edition for more information.

NimalOne
Fanfold Paper
Views: 322
Message 3 of 11

Hi Danny, 

This solution will involve rebooting the server, yes? Is there any other option without having to reboot the server? 

Also, can you advice the steps to perform hard disk diagnostics? From what i gather through the link, DSA only does memory tests?

FYI, i downloaded and installed DSA portable (https://support.lenovo.com/nz/en/solutions/lnvo-dsa), but my challenge is trying to analyze the resulting .xml file. Do you have any advice on this?

Thanks

Lenovo Employee
Views: 301
Message 4 of 11

Hi Sir,

What is your operasting system? The DSA programs have portable edition, you can collect erro log under operating system without reboot system. Please access the same link to download portable edition. I also attached instruction video under Windows and Linux for your reference.

The DSA utility provide problem isolation, configuration analysis, and error log collection. The diagnostic programs are the primary method of testing the major components of the server which included hard disk drive health. You can share the log file to Lenovo local service team for analysis. 

By the way, I also attached Troubleshooting Hard drive (HDD) issues link for your reference.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 282
Message 5 of 11

Nimal,

The symptoms you report are similar to this:

"PFA flag and error counts not cleared upon SATA drive replacement - Lenovo Server"

https://datacentersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht508042 

NimalOne
Fanfold Paper
Views: 252
Message 6 of 11

Hi Danny, 

1. Operating system is Windows Server 2012

2. I've run the tool and converted the resulting xml file result to html format. Attached are some screenshots of the DSA analysis. It tells me the same thing, that failure is predicted. I'm not sure if this means that its simply reporting a "health warning" or if indeed, the server has run diagnostics and confirmed the drive is going to fail. 

3. Interestingly, i can't seem to get any details on Server RAID health, that option is greyed out. 

Thank you for your support, appreciate it!

NimalOne
Fanfold Paper
Views: 251
Message 7 of 11

Hi, 

Thats really interesting. I've tried restarting the server and also restarting IMM itself, but that doesn't help. 

This server is using "ServerRaid M5110e" controller and Windows Server 2012. 

Can i use this link to download and run the workaround to try and clear the flags? 

Lenovo Employee
Views: 234
Message 8 of 11

Hi Nimal

Would you please install MegaRAID Storage Manager  to check ServerRaid M5110e raid card and Drive 0 status under Windows again. If posibbel, could you please provide warning screen for our reference.

By the way, did you try  

"PFA flag and error counts not cleared upon SATA drive replacement - Lenovo Server"

https://datacentersupport.lenovo.com/solutions/ht508042

NimalOne
Fanfold Paper
Views: 229
Message 9 of 11

Hi Dannyhsueh,

We have MegaRaid Storage Manager v 17.05.01.02 installed . Everything shows green, but for the Drive0, it does show some error count. See screenshot. Is there any benefit to installing a different version of the StorageManager?

Also i did see R8nser's suggestion, and did reply him. The KB article seems related to a much older ServerRAID controller, and i need some feedback that those steps are applicable to my server. 

Thanks again, appreciate your awesome support and feedback. 

Lenovo Employee
Views: 214
Message 10 of 11

Hi Nimal

The Media Errors are the number of physical errors detected on the disk media. Predicted Fail Count  is a property indicating the number of errors that have been detected on the disk media.

You can refer ServeRAID-M SAS Software User Guide section 6.6.4.1 Drive Show Commands and section 6.6.4.14 Drive Predictive Failure Monitoring Commands to reset or disable the drive/slot error counters or predictive Failure count.

If the hard drive you installed in the Drive 0 is brand new one? I suggest to reset error and reinstall the hard drive and monitor again. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

ALERT

Windows 2016 Server November Update
Issue on System x M5 and X6
Go to details

Top Kudoed Authors