Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Datacenter SystemsSystem x - X6, M5, M4
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

04-07-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 2

VMware ESXi update

2020-04-07, 17:32 PM

I've never been VMware trained and neither has anyone else in our small company.  So we are fumbling and have been for years.  I could grumble all day about that, but, in the end, it's ownership's loss of revenue by paying someone to figure it out with lots of time, trial and error instead of training them.  I'd call VMware support, but it's express edition with no support.

ESXi 6.7U2 was installed with a Generic VMware image instead of the custom Lenovo image.  The server is now in production.  It's a small, single host environment.  Is there a way to install the Lenovo driver recipe or some such with the VUM command?  Will this take the server down when done?  Linux can update files in place unlike Windows, so it should work and then restart to the newest.

Have another site with a single server and want to update to Lenovo's latest 6.7U3 image from 6.0.  Is there a way to do this without going onsite with a USB stick and upgrading.  The COVID has us stuck working remotely.

I know there is a trove of information out there, but nothing is really comprehensive and easy.  It's reading documents linked to documents, linked to documents and they are hundreds of pages long.  If there was some good documentation for deploying and managing VMware in tiny environments, that would be awesome.  I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks.

D

Options

425 Posts

03-07-2017

United States of America

2026 Signins

30638 Page Views

• Views: 30638
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:VMware ESXi update

2020-04-08, 2:09 AM

Hi Da5idSalin

Below are some instruction pages for VMware ESXi 6.x on Lenovo ThinkSystem servers. Hope these can help.

Installation Instructions for VMware ESXi 6.x on Lenovo ThinkSystem servers

Lenovo VMware Updates Repository

OS Support Center - VMware

For remote operations, if the management port of your system can be connected to the internet, you can use the remote console through BMC. This may also help you.

Please feel free to leave your comment, thank you for support Lenovo
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms