Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simon_fuller
Punch Card
Views: 316
Message 1 of 10

X3650 M4 with Mezzanine Emulex Virtual Fabric Adapter III Bios issue

I have the IBM X3650 M4 7915E3G and upgraded it with a Emulex Virtual Fabric Adapter III Mezzanine card P/N 00D9117 90Y5100 

After installation, I amended the BIOS Settings under Power to enable 10GB Mezz card standby. This caused FAN 3A and FAN 3B continually run. I went back into the bios and found that after disabling the option, both fans still run?

I can't seem to restore the setting for both fans to stop now.

I have IMM2 Version 7.00, The latest BIOS and updated the mezzanine card to the latestt firmware.

Lenovo Employee wdb_Lenovo
Lenovo Employee
Views: 271
Message 2 of 10

Re: X3650 M4 with Mezzanine Emulex Virtual Fabric Adapter III Bios issue

Hi Simon,

I will investigate this internally.  In the meantime can you confirm that you have saved your settings after changing back to the original settings and you have rebooted?  Do the fans return to their original operation if you A/C cycle the server?  This information will help determine if the issue is in BIOS or IMM.

Lenovo Employee aharvey
Lenovo Employee
Views: 232
Message 3 of 10

Hello Simon,

To use the adapter no settings need to change under "Power",so what i would do is remove AC power, try removing the cmos battery for 1 min,then reinsert cmos battery and then AC power.

No changes should be need tomade for the installation of the adapter since IMM has a fan table that can detect install adapters and control the fans as needed.

Let me know if this gets thing back to the default setttings.

Thanks.

simon_fuller
Punch Card
Views: 194
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

This happens on both IMM and full restart.

simon_fuller
Punch Card
Views: 193
Message 5 of 10

I removed the cmos battery and left for 1 minute with ac removed and the issue still remains.

simon_fuller
Punch Card
Views: 188
Message 6 of 10

2019-04-07 (1).png

simon_fuller
Punch Card
Views: 186
Message 7 of 10

2019-04-07.png

Lenovo Employee
Views: 166
Message 8 of 10

Hi Simon,

The fan table that you posted indicates that the server is powered down and fans 3A and 3B continue to run.  This is expected behavior and is due to the presence of the Emulex adapter card, not the system BIOS power setting.  The Emulex card remains powered on when the rest of the server is powered off so that it can operate the sideband interface to the BMC and the fans are needed for proper cooling.  This would explain why all of the steps you tried did not have an effect.  You can unplug the card to verify.  This behavior is mentioned in the documentation for the server: 

https://systemx.lenovofiles.com/help/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.lenovo.sysx.5460.doc%2Fc_turning_off_ser...

Let me know if you still have concerns. 

simon_fuller
Punch Card
Views: 151
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for the information. It seems strange to have a power setting to enable or disable the adapter in the settings (for WOL etc)  if it will still be powered and need cooling when its not activated?

Highlighted
Lenovo Employee
Views: 83
Message 10 of 10

Simon,

The system takes appropriate actions (such as the fan operation you have observed) in response to individual adapters that are detected in the system.  The power settings you have seen are used to enhance cooling when you have a combination of high power adapters, especially when the FusionIO adapter is present along with other higher power networking adapters and/or highest power CPUs.  Here is the descriptive information that I can find about the two Power parameters:

Power.CPUCoolingBoost – This setting will  change the threshold used by the IMM to determine when to increase the fan speed. Changing this value will cause the fans to ramp up sooner as the CPUs start to heat up.  Values range from <Normal> to Performance 

Power.SystemCoolingBoost – This setting will change the fan speed table used by the IMM. This setting should be used when a more aggressive cooling algorithm is needed.  Values range from <0> to 12 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

ALERT

Windows 2016 Server November Update
Issue on System x M5 and X6
Go to details