CO

5 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 1 of 6

T61 (6464) Battery Not Charging and Orange Light Flashing

2013-03-27, 5:51 AM

Hello.

A few months ago I purchased a refurb T61.  I don't know the screen size at the moment.  The battery just died without warning.

I assume that I need to purchase a new one.  Is this a common issue with IBM batteries?  The customer service said that it is not subject to a recall.  I was considering buying a refurb battery 9 cell, due to the price.  Do you think it is likely that it will konk out in 6 months?

Also, in reading old threads about similar issues, people are talking about battery abuse.  What exactly is that?  What is the best way to use a battery in a lap top?  Should one remove it when it is plugged in?  And is it okay to install the battery while the computer is on and running?  Is there ever and issue of unplugging a computer that is on and with a battery in it and replugging it in in another socket?
  etc.

Thanks!

Options

3855 Posts

12-02-2007

US

9040 Signins

189513 Page Views

• Views: 189513
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: T61 (6464) Battery Not Charging and Orange Light Flashing

2013-03-27, 8:13 AM

Hello,

All rechargeable batteries eventually fail, it's just a matter of when.  I believe the T61 was introduced in 2007, which means its likely the refurbished unit you purchased had a battery around five to six years old.

You can try purchasing a replacement battery from a third party, but make sure they are reputable and you get some kind of warranty in case it dies all of a sudden.  Counterfeit batteries are quite common, and unless you purchase a genuine battery from Lenovo it's something of a gamble.

I have always left batterys plugged into the notebook and let Lenovo's power management software manage the battery for me.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

146 Posts

05-09-2008

Germany, Stuttgart

367 Signins

2012 Page Views

• Views: 2012
  • Message 3 of 6

2013-03-27, 10:11 AM

Hi.

Just to give you some details about my experiences: when the original battery died I bought a replacement from ebay. It was a 9 cell 8800mAh but the shape was extended in the lower part so when placed on a table, the laptop would be a bit elevated on the back side, sitting on the "extension" of the battery pack. I still have this one after more than 1 year after I purchased it, and it operates correctly - but I only take it with me when I'm travelling, as a backup.

Not being happy with the weight and elevated back of the purchased baterry (plus that it was always tricky to put the laptop with the battery in my backpack), I bought another one, regular 7200mAh, exact shape as the original Lenovo. As operation all is OK, the only bug that it has is that it is not recognized as genuine Lenovo battery or replacement and Lenovo Power Manager does not display its plugged or not-plugged (AC) status in the status bar - instead of this there's a warning sign and if the mouse is placed on top of the warning icon then I get this pop-up

non-genuine_batt.png

Otherwise, the battery is OK.

Usually, quality of the batteries is lower than the original Lenovo ones. Hinges / locking mechanisms are just pieces of c*** ....

Regards,

W500 / T61p / T61 / R60
Options

2252 Posts

01-02-2011

US

8339 Signins

51747 Page Views

• Views: 51747
  • Message 4 of 6

2013-03-27, 20:11 PM

I agree about using power manager, don't let the battery charge all the way to 100%, and reduce the point where charging starts. I have mine set to begin charging at 70% and stop at 90%, this avoids wear and tear.

To expand a bit on the counterfiet batteries, they are very risky and a fire hazard. Anyone who counterfiets a lenovo brand certainly wouldn't obtain a genuine RoHS or UL Labs certification. With such a battery you could destroy your laptop, or burn your house down. Generic batteries vary greatly, some are blackmarket smuggled into the country in small quantites as personal shipments that aren't inspected. If you get a generic that is properly manufactured, then (hopefully) your only risk is regarding performance.

All legit batteries have built in controller circuits that disable a battery if the temps or cells go out of spec, this stops your laptop from charging the battery if it becomes unsafe. There is also a thermal fuse that will blow if it gets to hot. Either will cause a battery to fail.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Options

3 Posts

03-27-2013

CO

5 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 5 of 6

2013-03-27, 23:25 PM

Yes, I've decided last year never to buy anything that is not from the computer mfg.  I had an external speaker that I feel shorted out  my last laptop.  I just decided that it isn't worth the risk.

Above, I was speaking of refurbished batteries offered from Lenovo.They are $69.00 instead of $179.00.  I guess it is a risk about how long it will last.but it won't do any damage.  Hopefully, they are not 6 years old if you by that part specifically, as the above-poster reasoned was in my refurb laptop when I got it 6 mos ago from Lenovo.

While I have your attention, is there a way to buy louder internal speakers for Lenovos?  I find Netflix so quiet.  It drives me crazy.  External speakers are a pain, unless your laptop is stationary on a desk.

Options

281 Posts

12-15-2012

US

1091 Signins

62458 Page Views

• Views: 62458
  • Message 6 of 6

2013-03-28, 6:24 AM

wrote:

Hello.

A few months ago I purchased a refurb T61.  I don't know the screen size at the moment.  The battery just died without warning.

I assume that I need to purchase a new one.  Is this a common issue with IBM batteries?  The customer service said that it is not subject to a recall.  I was considering buying a refurb battery 9 cell, due to the price.  Do you think it is likely that it will konk out in 6 months?

Also, in reading old threads about similar issues, people are talking about battery abuse.  What exactly is that?  What is the best way to use a battery in a lap top?  Should one remove it when it is plugged in?  And is it okay to install the battery while the computer is on and running?  Is there ever and issue of unplugging a computer that is on and with a battery in it and replugging it in in another socket?
  etc.

Thanks!

My T60 T500 Pana battery 721 cycles.PNGHi,

If you have a type "6464" T61 then that is a 15.4" widescreen. Your laptop takes the same battery as T60, T500, W500 and cannot take T61 14.1" widescreen battery. The battery you need is also called "41++" by Lenovo marketing department: ThinkPad Battery 41++ (9 cell) - Overview (ASM marketing part # 40Y6797). Here is the 6-cell version of the same: ThinkPad Battery 41+ (6 cell) - Overview (ASM marketing part # 40Y6799). It's best to purchase a Genuine Lenovo battery. "Compatible," "replacement," non-O.E.M. batteries may sometimes cost less, but they are often of inferior quality, cause communication glitches with Lenovo Power Manager or inaccuracies in battery stats displayed by Windows operating system itself, can cause your laptop or AC adapter to overheat, and loads of other issues. No use ruining a good laptop in trying to save a few bucks. Besides, the non-genuine "replacement" batteries often konk out in 6 months to a year. As a result, you have to replace them more often, so you're not really saving money in the long run.

I.B.M./ Lenovo employed three manufacturers in the production of T60/ T61 15.4" series batteries: Panasonic, Sanyo, and Sony. Stick with a New (even if it is a New "old" stock) Genuine Lenovo Panasonic 9-cell FRU 92P1133 or 42T4620 and you can't go wrong. Having bought, successfully sold, and tested hundreds of T60 series batteries over the past few years, I can make the following statement quite emphatically: I would rather buy an NOS (New Old Stock) Panasonic T60 series battery with above-mentioned FRU than a Brand New Sanyo or Sony battery manufactured last year.

Here is a screen shot of the T60 battery which currently sits in the W500 I'm typing on right now. It has 721 cycles, still in "Good" condition according to Lenovo Power Manager, and holds a great 65.10 Wh Full Charge out of 84.24 Wh Design Capacity. (77% of original capacity for a 4 year old "grandpa" battery). And guess what:  I have another "great-grandpa" 7-year old Panasonic going strong with 579 cycles, "Good" condition, 64.14 Full charge, made in 2006! We had a great discussion here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/1000-cycles-completed-on-my-T500-battery/m-p/1032779#M16686  When manufacturers want to make quality products, they can... I won't comment on the quality of some of the batteries shipped with some of the newest laptops, but you get my point.:smileywink:

Here is a good summary of some basic battery care tips which will answer some of your other questions: http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html  BTW, I have an excellent supply of New and used genuine Lenovo batteries available. I have sent you a PM with more info. Check your "New" messages at the top of this page.:)

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete