Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-01-2009

Houston, Texas, US

7 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 251 of 254

T61p and SATA Issue

2009-08-01, 2:22 AM

I've just read Lenovo's stance on SATA 3.0 limitation / feature.  What I gather from this are the following:  a) the system is working as designed, b) the BIOS will not be updated to include / enable the SATA 3.0 speed in the future, c) and no longer will there will open discussion to correct the issue.

I bought my first Lenovo product (T61p) on Sep '07 thinking that Lenovo is top of the line business laptop, and would be a wise investment for the future. However, after further research in purchasing the X25 SSD from Intel for the T61p, I've become dissapointed of the capped SATA I speed.  According to various Lenovo literature, the chipset is at ICH8M-Enhanced I/O Controller Hub (SATA 3.0 Gb/s).  Nowhere did I see the limited "SATA 1.5 Gb/s."  In the various current literature from Lenovo, this ommission is still prevalent.  Essentially, I feel Lenovo has misrepresented the feature sets of which I based my purchasing decision on - the specs.

At this point, I will contact Lenovo Sales to explain the issue of misrepresentation.  If I do not receive the proper support for the product, I will then proceed to contact the Attorney General in my state.  I will explore all possible avenue including possibility for a Class Action Lawsuit.

I feel very dissapointed.  I was even contemplating of buying a Windows 7 based Tablet this year from Lenovo, but this issue has prevented me from being a Lenovo customer again.  Based on the various comments here, I am not the only one who has these sentiments.

Lenovo, do what is right and release the option to unlock / uncap the 3.0 Gb/s capability of the system.  Provide your loyal customers the option at least in the BIOS, or allow me to get a refund on my product which I have a 3 year warranty on.

This is all about customer service, loyalty, and proper advertisement and disclosure.  Ultimately, this is about doing what's right.

Thank you.

Options

2 Posts

08-01-2009

Houston, Texas, US

7 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 252 of 254

SATA Subject and Sales/Technical Support Loop

2009-08-03, 21:10 PM
I just contacted Technical Support, and they said to uncap the 1.5 Gb/s limitation (to enable 3 Gb/s), I need to contact Sales since its a sales related issue I have - incorrect advertised specs.  I did that, and they said to contact Technical Support again.  They have put me in a loop.  How do I get this resolve?  Can anyone help or is this really the new Lenovo?
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 253 of 254

Re: SATA Subject and Sales/Technical Support Loop

2009-08-04, 17:03 PM

Lindey,

Sorry that you are in a loop.   The official position thus far, has been as I have explained in this thread - 3 GBs  data rates are not supported on the '61 (Santa Rosa) series systems, despite the fact that the ICH8 chip from Intel is stated as having this capability at the component level.

Technical support will not have a resolution - they can escalate the case, but at this point engineering's position is that the unit is working as designed.  

This is really outside the realm of sales to resolve unless your purchase is within the first 21 days.

You can open a formal complaint (you can make the request through either sales or service) and argue your points about actual performance vs how you read and interpreted the specifications on the PSREF sheet.  

Mark

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23523 Signins

803305 Page Views

• Views: 803305
  • Message 254 of 254

T61 and SATA Ultrabay adapter

2009-09-03, 14:38 PM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms