Options

80 Posts

01-27-2010

CA

410 Signins

2980 Page Views

• Views: 2980
  • Message 1 of 5

Build Quality ThinkBook 13s - Initial Thoughts.

2019-06-28, 13:42 PM

I've been interested to see more about the ThinkBook as a business grade device and althought I haven't taken a ThinkBook for a full test drive yet but I have had the opportunity grab 5 minutes hands on to make some observations of the ThinkBook 13s from a physical stand point.

- It feels well built. The case is I think aluminium with a good sold feel to it. It not in the slightest fragile.

- Although Solid and durable it does not have some of the design / durability features such as the drain hole from ThinkPads. I Don't think it would pass MilSpec but would certainly handle rough end users no trouble.

- Keyboard press feels a little light and on the softer side. I would say it has more travel than the the likes of the Yoga 910 keyboard but does not give nearly as much feedback as a ThinkPad keyboard. Not an unpleasant keyboard by any means and does not feel fragile.

- Power Button is also the finger print reader. This feels robust and durabable.

- Charging connector is the standard rectangular Lenovo plug (rather than USB-C) and there appears no USB-C charge option.

- Display on the unit I looked at was struggling a little in bright day (bright midday clear skies bright) light but still usable.

- Lid / screen opens a full 180 degrees - Hinges feel very strong  and robust they showed no hint of shift or slop. They look and feel steel rather than aluminium like the rest of the machine.

My initial impression from a physical durability point of view is that I will certainly recommend it as a business grade machines to customers. It feels more business class than other IdeaPads and Yoga machines. Its not a machine I'd be concerned careless users would damage easily, throwing in a bag and carrying place to place of a very regular basis.

I will try and get another look in the near future and grab some photographs etc.  If you have questions I will try and obtain more informaton when I get my hands on it next.

Currently Using: ThinkPad X1 Yoga, ThinkPad Yoga 370, ThinkPad X1 Tablet, Thinkpad 10, Yoga 910
Options

1 Posts

07-02-2019

CA

11 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Build Quality ThinkBook 13s - Initial Thoughts.

2019-07-02, 1:15 AM

If you don't mind me asking do you know what screen did you have in your 13s? Does it have Dolby Atmos HDR? Furthermore, did you do any benchmark on it? If you did so, can you share it with us? I am also  wondering how is temps in the laptop during workload since it is a thin laptop.

Regards,

Options

37 Posts

01-12-2015

GB

82 Signins

600 Page Views

• Views: 600
  • Message 3 of 5

2019-07-03, 12:44 PM

If the screen is as non-glossy as it appears in the images and videos I've seen so far and it's very quiet, I'd certainly consider this ThinkBook 13s if I decide to replace my 1st gen ThinkPad Yoga. I don't need the far superior performance this would have but having a bigger screen with less weight and slighly smaller footprint, better battery life and less bouncy hinges would be nice.

I'd have to wait until the UK Lenovo site offers customisable models though so that I can specify the optional backlit keyboard...

Options

11 Posts

07-12-2019

US

6 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 4 of 5

2019-07-12, 17:41 PM
I have the ThinkBook 14s and I really like the quality build. I'm a fan of the ThinkPad T Series laptops but they are out of my price range. I actually like the ThinkBook 14s better than the ThinkPad T. Below is the review I submitted to Lenovo.
Being an IT Professional I've seen quite a few laptops, especially Lenovo ThinkPad T Series laptops. Those are great business professional laptops. However, they are expensive but worth it if you have the ability to purchase one. However, I've been waiting for Lenovo to hopefully release a business professional laptop at a price small businesses can afford. This is it!! This laptop has mostly everything I was hoping for. Pros: Great looking durable gray metallic laptop with a backlit keyboard. My favorite feature is the fingerprint reader integrated into the power button and gets me logged into Windows 10 super fast. Screen quality is very good and the sound can actually get loud. It's thin, light, and very portable. I can have multiple windows and programs open and it is still fast. I really like that the fan placement is in the back and not on the side. The fan rarely turns on and when it does I hardly notice it. Cons: This laptop is advertised as having 10 hours of battery life. However my experience has been 6 - 7.5 hours depending on what apps I'm using. I consistently have Outlook, OneNote, and Teams running. I also use an app to remotely connect to my clients' PCs to service them. So really considering all that, the battery life for my use is acceptable. Your mileage may vary. I was just hoping I could get closer to the 10 hour mark. But in reality I will not need to use this laptop on battery for that long of a time. Plus it wears the battery out faster running solely on battery for extended periods of time. Overall I would easily recommend this laptop to anyone especially cost conscious small businesses. Thank you Lenovo for making a high quality laptop for the small business segment.
Options

40 Posts

09-13-2019

AR

38 Signins

301 Page Views

• Views: 301
  • Message 5 of 5

2019-09-16, 15:21 PM
I am agree with you except for the fan noise. My thinkbook 13s start using the fan at very low temps, like 40-42 °c and at 60 °c get very loud. Ideally this is correct as it keeps the laptop cool but I prefer to start using the fan at probably 70°c. Opening a tab with Chrome or Opera and the fan starts immediately.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete