Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkBook NotebooksThinkBook Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

05-11-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 10

ThinkBook 14s-IWL keyboard backlight driver issue

2021-05-16, 23:11 PM

Anyone have any updates on this ThinkBook 14s-IWL keyboard backlight suddenly not working issue that it seems a lot of people have run into?

Is anyone from Lenovo going to step up with a driver fix or do they really just want all the customers to figure it out amongst themselves in the forums? If I would have known Lenovo doesn't want to help out with customer support and issues that come up as a result of their own drivers, I wouldn't have bought a Lenovo.
At this rate, I wouldn't recommend Lenovo to anyone.

The problem:
I just purchased an open-box ThinkBook 14s-IWL from Amazon Warehouse but I can't seem to get the keyboard backlight to turn on although I've got all the other drivers and whatnot working. I've seen a lot of people say the keyboard backlight stopped working after some sort of Windows 10 update from a bit ago but I've found no information on which update might have caused this and, regardless, customers shouldn't have to forego updating their operating system just to keep the keyboard working.

My laptop does have the little backlight symbol on the spacebar but using FN+Space in Windows 10 doesn't do anything nor does it work when just booting to the BIOS.

I don't know if it's supposed to be set up like this but in the Device Manager it just lists the keyboard as "Standard PS/2 Keyboard", it says "Intelligent Keyboard" in the Lenovo Vantage app but doesn't display any options other than the FN key "Keyboard Top-Row Function" toggle, and I had tried updating the driver using a driver download though it displayed something like "generic keyboard" as the name for the laptop's keyboard along with saying there wasn't any device to update Lenovo drivers for.

Also there is a light emanating from the edges of my touchpad, so I'm pretty sure the backlight hardware itself isn't the issue.

Options

5546 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28264 Page Views

• Views: 28264
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:ThinkBook 14s-IWL keyboard backlight driver issue

2021-05-17, 11:24 AM

Hello KTLT!

Greetings

Can you provide the MTM(ex: 20RM0001US) so we could check the specs?

Based on the product spreadsheet, the backlit keyboard is optional. Some model variants for the ThinkBook 14s-IWL have it while others don't.

You can refer to this link: https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkBook_14s_IWL?ViewSpec=true

Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

7 Posts

05-11-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2021-05-21, 17:10 PM

Hey there, thanks for hopping in.

The # is 20RM0009US

But like I said, it has the backlight symbol on the keyboard... unless Lenovo is just putting it on every model these days and that doesn't matter anymore...

Options

5546 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28264 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2021-05-21, 20:49 PM

Based on the MTM, it is indeed came along with a backlit keyboard. Uninstall the keyboard driver from the device manager then restart the computer for the driver to reinstall itself.

If the issue still persists, try running the update through the Lenovo Vantage app and install all available updates especially the BIOS.

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

7 Posts

05-11-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2021-05-22, 1:13 AM

I tried twice what you mentioned with uninstalling from the Device Manager.
The backlight still doesn't turn on and the Device Manager just says "Standard PS/2 Keyboard". When searching for an update through there, it says the driver is up to date.

As far as Lenovo Vantage, it shows no keyboard drivers or updates for such and under the input settings it says "Intelligent Keyboard" but the only option is the toggle between FN key special option or changing it to default use F1-F12.

I've updated everything through Lenovo Vantage already and I've also manually downloaded the latest BIOS update from the Lenovo website. When using that, it says the BIOS version on my computer is newer than the one in the downloaded installation file.

Is there a link that can be provided to the actual keyboard driver file for this laptop? There isn't even a keyboard category on Lenovo PC Support manual update driver page when I have it detect my device and display driver categories for manual download/update.

Options

5546 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28264 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-05-24, 21:53 PM

Initially recommended power cycle is advised.
Then load the machine to the BIOS (page 21 https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/thinkbook_13s-14s_iwl_ug_en_201905.pdf?linkTrack=PSP:ProductInfo:UserGuide )

Load the defaults taking in mind the status of hotkey mode.

Would the backlight work on the BIOS screen?

Try FN + spacebar in the BIOS and save and exit.

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

Options

7 Posts

05-11-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2021-05-24, 22:22 PM

I have tried these steps before and, as I stated in my initial post, the backlight does not work in the BIOS.

I tried these steps again just a moment ago for the heck of it and still nothing.

Is there not a manually downloadable keyboard + backlight driver for this model? Or an update from Lenovo to fix this since so many other people are also encountering this problem?

I've seen in other places people have been issued these steps with no result. I've seen a couple people say it was after a BIOS update while others have said they thought it was a Windows update but have Lenovo engineers actually looked into this issue?

Options

7 Posts

05-11-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2021-06-05, 3:31 AM

Does Lenovo not have a new driver or some sort of fix for this? Have they even figured out the cause of this or just don't care about supporting products after release?

So far, without any solution for this problem that Lenovo has known about since at least September 2019 (as far as I know, only a few months after the release of this model) and this basically zero real effort into implementing a solution (for everyone with this issue I've just seen basic "have you tried turning it on and off again" level responses that haven't worked), I will definitely be telling people not to get Lenovo devices.

What a disappointment since I had always wanted a Lenovo laptop.

Options

7 Posts

05-11-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2021-06-25, 18:06 PM

Options

5546 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28264 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2021-06-29, 21:46 PM

Try to back up your data and perhaps you can consider the OEM image here:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653-lenovo-digital-download-recovery-service-ddrs-download-the-files-needed-to-create-a-lenovo-usb-recovery-key

Jwes_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms