Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkBook NotebooksThinkBook Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-17-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 9

ThinkBook 15-IIL microphone key (F4) doesn't work

2021-02-17, 18:31 PM

This is for a ThinkBook 15-IIL. The microphone on/off key (F4) has worked a couple of times. But for the last month or so, it has not worked. I have tried to pressing the F4 key as well as Fn + F4 keys but neither combination works. I don't see a specific driver for the function keys, but the drivers are up to date as far as I can tell. How can I fix this key so it works? Thanks.

Options

4775 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

866 Signins

24537 Page Views

• Views: 24537
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:ThinkBook 15-IIL microphone key (F4) doesn't work

2021-02-17, 21:00 PM

Hello jocafo3457!

Welcome to community forums

Do you recall if you have made any changes or any updates installed before the mic stopped working? If you press the  f4 key on the keyboard, do you see the icon responding on the screen? Can you try uninstalling the audio driver under the device manager and restart the computer for the driver to reinstall itself?

Let us know.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3 Posts

02-17-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2021-02-18, 0:10 AM

Do you recall if you have made any changes or any updates installed before the mic stopped working?

I do not.

If you press the  f4 key on the keyboard, do you see the icon responding on the screen?

No

Can you try uninstalling the audio driver under the device manager and restart the computer for the driver to reinstall itself?

I tried this but still have the same issue

Interestingly, I logged into the administrator account and the F4 key worked. However, when logged in to the "standard account", the key no longer works as described above. I temporarily changed the account from standard to admin, but this did not fix the problem. I don't see why it would work on one account but not the other. I'm not seeing any other settings?

Options

4775 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

866 Signins

24537 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2021-02-18, 9:49 AM

I see. Try these steps: Let apps access the microphone--> Start--> Settings--> Privacy--> Microphone--> Change--> turn on Allow apps to access your microphone.

You have an option to choose which Microsoft Store apps can access these features under Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your microphone, and give access to non-Microsoft-Store desktop apps by ensuring that the switch beneath Allow desktop apps to access your microphone is set to On.

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3 Posts

02-17-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2021-02-19, 3:30 AM

The microphone was turned on in privacy settings. All settings including 'Allow apps to access your microphone' and 'Allow desktop app to access your microphone' are on. The microphone works, its just I can't get the F4 key to function to disable/enable the microphone. The only way to disable the microphone is via Settings > System > Sounds > Input > Device properties > Disable checkbox. It'd be so much nicer to be able to just press F4.

Options

210 Posts

12-28-2020

China

107 Signins

1595 Page Views

• Views: 1595
  • Message 6 of 9

2021-02-20, 8:09 AM

Hello;

You can check whether the utility.exe is running in that started account.

As shown in below picture:

Options

4775 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

866 Signins

24537 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2021-02-22, 17:16 PM

In addition to the steps provided above,  try Let Windows Apps Access the Microphone for All Accounts in Local Group Policy Editor. Open the Local Group Policy Editor just by typing gpedit.msc on the search box, right next to the Windows icon.
In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below: 
 Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\App Privacy(Please see screenshot attached)

Under the App Privacy in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Let Windows apps access the microphone policy to edit it

Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

04-30-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 8 of 9

2021-04-30, 1:19 AM

Hello, sorry for the late response. I have been busy trying to fix this issue without success. I tried to reinstall windows to fix the problem and lost access to my original account here. So I created the new account. The windows reinstall did not resolve the problem. In fact, now the F4 key doesn't work for the administrator account either.

@BPBWXS, utility.exe is not running. How do I start it?

@Jwes_Lenovo, I can confirm that Let Windows apps access the microphone is set to "Not Configured".

Thanks.

Options

210 Posts

12-28-2020

China

107 Signins

1595 Page Views

• Views: 1595
  • Message 9 of 9

2021-04-30, 7:24 AM

Hello;

I suppose you may not have installed the lenovo utility. Because this App is running as soon as you install it and is running automatically when you start your laptop.

So you should firstly check if the lenovo Utility is installed or not.

If not, you can search and install lenovo utility on Microsoft Store.

As below:

If the lenovo utility was installed successfully, you can see it like the picture shows below:

And it will run as soon as you install successfully.

If it is not running, you can click the icon which was marked "2" in the picture above to run it.

If it is running correctly, you can see it in "Task Manager",as the picture shows below:

Hope this can help you.

Please tell me the result, thank you.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms