Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkBook NotebooksThinkBook Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3684 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

791 Signins

19112 Page Views

• Views: 19112
  • Message 21 of 33

Re:Yoga 14s huge battery drain while asleep (modern standby issue?)

2021-05-04, 15:25 PM

If you send it in for depot repair then most likely there would be a part replacement to fix the issue before returning it to you.

Tigerlake platform does not support S3 sleep as mentioned in this similar discussion: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/Enable-S3-sleep-for-T14-Gen-2/m-p/5072598?page=1#5293803

Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

05-07-2021

Norway

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 22 of 33

2021-05-07, 10:32 AM

Hello,

I have the exact same issue. Have had the Yoga since february. Upgraded the bios last week and now the battery drains about 10% in an hour when "sleeping". 

I have done a full reset in hope it was a bad driver but the same happens now on a clean installation (with all updates but no additional software installed).

I am interested to know if anyone gets any progress in fixing this issue. I don't consider tweaking fast startup etc to be a real solution.

Is there any way of downgrading bios again?

thanks, Henrik 

Options

3684 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

791 Signins

19112 Page Views

• Message 23 of 33

2021-05-07, 14:00 PM

@Figuro It would be best to contact support and ask them if they recommend flashing the BIOS to its previous version because there is also a risk in it.

Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

05-07-2021

Norway

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 24 of 33

2021-05-07, 14:20 PM

Hello,

I'll get in touch with support and see if that helps. Previous BIOS version is apparently not available for download. I am currently using the version available in the support-site: fncn30ww.

thanks, Henrik

Options

14 Posts

04-27-2021

United States of America

15 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 25 of 33

2021-05-07, 15:43 PM

So after researching this for the last few weeks, I've found that the real reason is that the 11th generation Intel chipsets (Tigerlake) down allow for (S3) standby. See: https://www.reddit.com/r/System76/comments/k7xrtz/ill_have_whatever_intel_was_smoking_when_they/

Therefore neither Lenovo nor Windows can configure the laptops using this chipset to use anything other than Modern Standby. Modern Standby is at the heart of this issue. For some reason when the laptop goes into modern standby it cant enter DRIPS (Deepest Runtime Idle Power State) for whatever reason, be it a software source, or hardware source (https://www.1e.com/news-insights/blogs/whats-wrong-drips-device/). Every time i try to get support through windows or Lenovo they give me the same cookie cutter troubleshooting responses, drivers, power options, BIOS. neither have tried diving into the power reports to try to find the source.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/sleep-battery-drain/m-p/4325381?page=1#4326550

This thread suggests trying to figure out what software processes are unable to use power throttling to go to sleep. It might be a way to disable whatever is keeping the computer from going into full DRIPS, but there are usually too many processes that are ambiguously named to disable them one by one or all together.

At this point i dont see many other options besides purchasing a laptop with an older chipset or just living with shutting down the computer everytime you need it to retain battery when not in use. Now obviously not every laptop that runs an 11th gen intel chipset is having this issue or we would see people freaking out everywhere. So there must be some kind of issue that is small in occurrence and that might be fixable. Maybe we just ought to have Lenovo replace our faulty laptops with new ones. However, i know they will try to go through every possible part replacement before having to do that. Ideally they just replace the entire laptop or we go to another vendor like Asus or MSI.

Options

4 Posts

05-19-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 26 of 33

2021-05-08, 0:32 AM

I'm having the same issue. I updated the firmware this week and my battery drains if I let it sleep. This never used to be a problem and the battery life used to be pretty decent. 

The latest firmware has basically destroyed the battery life and ruined this laptop.

I've only had this since January so it's pretty frustrating to experience something like this so early on. 

Lenovo support is generally terrible so I'm not very hopeful that this will get resolved at all much less in a timely manner. 

If anyone can track down the previous firmware version PLEASE post here.

Good luck to you all!

Options

4 Posts

05-07-2021

Norway

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 27 of 33

2021-05-08, 7:13 AM

Hello,

it seems we are all suffering from the same problem.

I was in contact with support yesterday (and was taken good care of there, thanks!) and the case was registered with an attached powercfg log so hopefully the problem will be checked. Apparently very cosistent pattern caused by bios upgrade so crossing fingers for a solution soon!

-Henrik

Options

3684 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

791 Signins

19112 Page Views

• Message 28 of 33

2021-05-12, 20:17 PM

Ideally, the recommended setting si auto-configured by the latest BIOS.

These settings are OEM preset for suggested performance and safety buffer but if there are any other custom settings based on user computing need then you may check with the tech support team or see if any new offered fixes are available from the support site.

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

05-07-2021

Norway

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 29 of 33

2021-05-12, 21:26 PM

Hello,

I managed to downgrade the BIOS to version 1.07 and now the Yoga works as before again.

But I will be careful next time and will definitely keep a backup in case it happens again. Not to happy having spending a lot of time to fully reconfigure a 3 months old installation..

-Henrik

Options

14 Posts

04-27-2021

United States of America

15 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 30 of 33

2021-05-12, 21:46 PM

What model yoga were you able to downgrade? And where did you find the old BIOS firmware?

Would you be able to provide it? That one thing i havent been able to find. The only BIOS on the website i found was the one that came with my laptop. So i had no option to roll back.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms