Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

08-20-2015

United States

51 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 1 of 3

mainly for photo/video in linux $500

2021-05-23, 16:47 PM

I would like recommendation on getting a used laptop, openshot video editor is too slow on my i5, 8G, SSD running linux (puppylinux with 8G of swap).  I plan on i7 (which?), 16G RAM, and would like to avoid nvidia if possible due to poor support on linux.   I am also open for AMD CPU if fast.  I plan to get it on ebay, not locked into Thinkpads but similar Dells etc is also OK.

Moderator comment: Moved to the proper forum. (NateS)

Options

1198 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

501 Signins

6200 Page Views

• Views: 6200
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:mainly for photo/video in linux $500

2021-05-25, 1:47 AM

Hello,

Maybe you really want a desktop "tower" pc??   Those have many more options to swap in various vendors storage, ram, video cards and such.  Eventually calibration of colors on the monitor might be important too.

For your existing setup, can you install more RAM?   Experiment with more swap files, those are easy to set up compared to swap partitions.  For example at some point three swap files 4GB each could be faster than one 12GB swap file.... It depends on details....  Don't forget those USB ports and external drives for more swap space capability...  I think system RAM is more important than processor gigaflops.  Once it is set up and running, Intel vs AMD vs BeagleBoard vs ....  Who cares!

Nvidia has sold LOTS of cards and there are LOTS MORE drivers available.  You need an accountants talents to match up exactly the correct driver for your exact nvidia card.

For software, I saw openshot listed as good for newbies (I am a newbie for video editing)  are there any other comments/suggestions?

For still photo editing, gimp is the no-brainer??

Usedtoberich

Options

6 Posts

08-20-2015

United States

51 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:mainly for photo/video in linux $500

2021-05-25, 6:23 AM

@ Usedtoberich wrote:

Hello,

Maybe you really want a desktop "tower" pc??   Those have many more options to swap in various vendors storage, ram, video cards and such.  Eventually calibration of colors on the monitor might be important too.

For software, I saw openshot listed as good for newbies (I am a newbie for video editing)  are there any other comments/suggestions?

For still photo editing, gimp is the no-brainer??

Usedtoberich

I forgot to mention, I do have 9G of swap file and is very slow.  No more RAM slots on the laptop I use as the main PC.  I prefer to have a "powerful" laptop since we live in an apartment with limited space and want occasional portability.  For photo editing I use darktable, not gimp.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms